DVDVR Message Board

*NEW* DC MOVIE THREAD

The Natural

On 10/10/2018 at 5:53 PM, Brian Fowler said:

Anyway, the concept was fucked from the moment they had the "what do we do when the next Kryptonian invasion level event happens" idea, because that ain't what Task Force X is for.

I'd love that same cast, minus Leto, doing an actual black ops wetwork mission for the shadiest parts of our government.

This so much. You want to take down Superman level enemies then you develop proper super weapons. You want to do spy work, assassinations, etc. while possibly dealing with non-Superman level metas, you use Task Force X. Honestly, I would rather they recast Smith and not bring Harley in at all. I'm good with everyone else returning.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
5 hours ago, EVA said:

Wow, they’re gonna have that movie sitting in the can a long time.

They want enough time to pass that everyone forgets about Justice League.

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, Pete said:

Our big takeaway from Justice League: Jason Momoa loves his work. Also, they literally made the fuckin' Flash a whiny Jew.

And they stole the "Barry's dad is in jail wrongfully " deal from the TV show, which annoyed the piss out of me. 

It's from The Flash Rebirth*. The Professor went back in time and framed Henry Allen for murdering his wife. 

*The late 00's one, not the 2016 one.

I still maintain Justice League is pretty easily the second best DCEU film. It's a low bar, but it cleared it pretty easily.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Pete said:

Our big takeaway from Justice League: Jason Momoa loves his work. Also, they literally made the fuckin' Flash a whiny Jew.

It's like that on TV as well. Barry is more like Wally West in that show than he is Barry Allen. Basically, it seems Flash in the modern era is writing Barry Allen with Wally's personality. 

42 minutes ago, Betsy Zeidler said:

That's because, like Hal Jordan, Barry's original personality was shite.

It's why DC has the exact opposite issue from Marvel.   The heroes usually aren't compelling characters (Jordan, Allen, Kent), but their villains are (rogue cop (Sinestro), time travelling mad scientist (Reverse Flash), robber for his sick relative/wife (Capt Cold/Mr Freeze), etc. etc.)

2 hours ago, Betsy Zeidler said:

That's because, like Hal Jordan, Barry's original personality was shite.

Barry being off the stage during the post-crisis period where a lot of previously less-dimensional characters got fleshed out didn't do him favors. I will say that by 2004 or so (or even Return of Barry allen a decade before), the contrast and pedestal he was on actually made him an interesting counterpoint, or would have if they didn't dirty up his backstory. The guy who decides to do good just because it's the right thing and not because he has a tragic origin would have been worthwhile in post Identity Crisis DC (post 9/11 US). Ah well. They mess everything up, always. Even things that they get right, like Hawkman's origin, they mess up later.

• Like 2