DVDVR Message Board

LUCHA Wrestling Party Podcasts

goodhelmet

I was joined by Phil Schneider and Johnny Sorrow last night as we dig into the new DVDVR set. 

Here is the line-up for the show...

Satoru Sayama y Gran Hamada vs. Perro Aguayo y Baby Face (4/13/80) 
Andre the Giant & Cien Caras vs. Alfonso Dantes, Herodes y Sangre Chicana (1981)
Centurion Negro vs. Gran Hamada (2/14/82) 
El Canek vs. Don Corleone (2/14/82) 
Tatsumi Fujinami vs. El Canek (6/12/83) 

Don't know what you are talking about but cool!!! 

OK, tonight I was joined by Kris Zellner, Phil Schneider and Johnny Sorrow. On the watch list...

Kevin von Erich, Mascara Ano 2000 y Halcon Ortiz v. Coloso Colosetti, Pirata Morgan y Herodes (9/23/83)
MS-1 vs. Sangre Chicana (9/23/83) 
Espectro Jr., Satanico y MS-1 vs. Mocho Cota, Sangre Chicana y La Fiera (9/30/83) 
Sangre Chicana vs. Ringo Mendoza (10/28/83) 
Atlantis y El Hijo del Santo vs. Fuerza Guerrera y Lobo Rubio (11/25/83) 

Awesome night of matches with guys continuously marking out throughout the entire process. Can't wait until some of you start joining in on the conversations! 

http://www.talkshoe.com/talkshoe/web/talkCast.jsp?masterId=126382&cmd=tc

Larry Wilcox played John on Chips. Damned I can remember what his last name was, I keep thinking it's Arbuckle, which was the name of of the guy in the Garfield comics. Loved the podcast, it is the first time I am listening as a synch up. (I have listened to the AWA wrestling parties but listen to them at work, going by memory from what happened in the matches at the time). A lot of fun and good for catching a lot of little details I missed the first time watching.

Continuing my undoubtably annoying habit of nit picking the pop culture references in the podcasts, I am a tiny bit miffed that during the last one : a) you had a discussion on Howard Hesseman that didn't mention Dr. Johnny Fever or Spinal Tap, and B) you had a discussion on Luis Guzman that didn't mention Oz or him killing Patrick Swayze. Back to the actual wrestling, loving the Mocha Cota enthusiasm. Before this set, I just knew him as a guy that got dismissed as a useless old guy from 90s Lucha reviews. Now I think of him as a bad ass and someone I really look forward to in future matches. Did he have any notable 90s matches?

Continuing my undoubtably annoying habit of nit picking the pop culture references in the podcasts, I am a tiny bit miffed that during the last one : a) you had a discussion on Howard Hesseman that didn't mention Dr. Johnny Fever or Spinal Tap, and B) you had a discussion on Luis Guzman that didn't mention Oz or him killing Patrick Swayze. Back to the actual wrestling, loving the Mocha Cota enthusiasm. Before this set, I just knew him as a guy that got dismissed as a useless old guy from 90s Lucha reviews. Now I think of him as a bad ass and someone I really look forward to in future matches. Did he have any notable 90s matches?

I'm sure we said Dr. Johnny Fever. LOL

I remember listening to that part and waiting for the Johnny Fever reference and not hearing it, but the one drawback of listening to the podcast synched up with the DVD is I can't go back in the audio file if I don't catch something, so it is entirely possible I just missed it when it came up. Full points to remembering he was in Billy Jack, a movie with 2 (highly tenuous) threads to wrestling : Mr. Haynes, of course, and Tommy Dreamer's real name is Tom Laughlin, same as Billy Jack himself.

#3 is up. Busy weekend, forgot to post...

Atlantis vs. El Satanico (1984) 
Mocho Cota vs. Americo Rocca (1/27/84) 
Mocho Cota vs. Americo Rocca (2/3/84) 
Atlantis y Lizmark vs. El Egipcio y El Faraón (2/17/84) 
El Faraón, Herodes y Mocho Cota vs. Lizmark, Ringo Mendoza y Tony Salazar (2/24/84)

http://www.talkshoe.com/talkshoe/web/talkCast.jsp?masterId=126382&cmd=tc

• 3 weeks later...

I remember listening to that part and waiting for the Johnny Fever reference and not hearing it, but the one drawback of listening to the podcast synched up with the DVD is I can't go back in the audio file if I don't catch something, so it is entirely possible I just missed it when it came up. Full points to remembering he was in Billy Jack, a movie with 2 (highly tenuous) threads to wrestling : Mr. Haynes, of course, and Tommy Dreamer's real name is Tom Laughlin, same as Billy Jack himself.

Dadurp, listening to this for the second time and after Will says Howard Hesseman, Kris and Johnny reply at once, "Johnny Fever". Anyway, can't wait until the next one, got spoiled with the AWA ones as I didn't start listening to them as a synch up until they were all completed.

ON episode #5, I am joined by Childs and Johnny Sorrow for an awesome night of wrestling....

Satanico vs. Shiro Koshinaka (Hair vs. Hair) (7/30/84) 
El Satanico y Espectro Jr. v. El Faraón y La Fiera (8/12/84) 
Gran Cochise vs. Satanico (9/14/84)
Sangre Chicana vs. MS-1 (Hair vs. Hair) (9/21/84) 
Villano III vs. Perro Aguayo (10/7/84) 

On episode #6, I am joined by Kris Zellner and Phil Schneider for an equally awesome night of wrestling....

Satanico vs. Super Astro (10/26/84)
Javier Cruz, Impacto y Solar II vs. El Dandy, Franco Colombo y Panico (10/84)
Perro Aguayo vs. Sangre Chicana vs. El Faraón vs. Villano III (Elimination Match) (10/84)
Atlantis, Ringo Mendoza y Tony Salazar vs. El Satanico, MS-1 y Espectro Jr. (9/28/84)

ON episode #5, I am joined by Childs and Johnny Sorrow for an awesome night of wrestling....Satanico vs. Shiro Koshinaka (Hair vs. Hair) (7/30/84) El Satanico y Espectro Jr. v. El Faraón y La Fiera (8/12/84) Gran Cochise vs. Satanico (9/14/84)Sangre Chicana vs. MS-1 (Hair vs. Hair) (9/21/84) Villano III vs. Perro Aguayo (10/7/84) On episode #6, I am joined by Kris Zellner and Phil Schneider for an equally awesome night of wrestling....Satanico vs. Super Astro (10/26/84)Javier Cruz, Impacto y Solar II vs. El Dandy, Franco Colombo y Panico (10/84)Perro Aguayo vs. Sangre Chicana vs. El Faraón vs. Villano III (Elimination Match) (10/84)Atlantis, Ringo Mendoza y Tony Salazar vs. El Satanico, MS-1 y Espectro Jr. (9/28/84)

It was fun riding sidecar on this podcast. Every Super Astro match I've seen has been great, but I've never seen him in such a ferocious brawl before.

Sorry I was late jumping on this one, I was watching the Hendrix documentary and didn't realize this was happening. As is my tradition, some annoying notes on the pop cultural references that took place during the show :

1) The host of What's My Line was the late John Charles Daly (I confess I did look this one up).

2) You got it reversed with regards to the dueling Ghostbusters cartoons, The Real Ghostbusters was the one based on the movie and the one just called Ghostbusters was based on the obscure 70s TV show, not the other way round.

3) Aldo Nova was not a band, it was a guy, he had another minor hit with "Monkey On Your Back". He also co-wrote "Take Me Away" for Blue Oyster Cult.

4) Laura Nyro is awesome, the album "New York Tendaberry" is amazing and you are all Philistines for not appreciating her Hall Of Fame worthiness.

• 1 year later...
  • 5 weeks later...