DVDVR Message Board

Random Boxing Thoughts/News v. 6

Elsalvajeloco

7 minutes ago, jaedmc said:

Ohio St/TCU is good right now. Might be able to see the whole damn thing before this fight starts.

Whatever that is, it doesn't sound like baseball, so I'm out. Guess I'll amuse myself with on-line poker for a bit.

I seriously don't get how GGG poured it on and grew into that fight with all the bodywork did Canelo did consistently early and often. And this was after he looked to be faltering in the middle rounds. Fantastic fight with two greats. Regardless of outcome I'd like to see a third. 

Anyone see Hopkins back there during the post fight interview for Canelo smiling like someone from the 72 Dolphins when the Pats lost that SB? Gotta share the title defense record with GGG, but gonna be sometime before someone reaches twenty again.

• Like 1

This is what happens when you fight with the "I think I did enough to win," mindset.   GGG should've learned the first time and gone in there with the intent to ktfo Canelo.

Do not leave championship decisions in the hands of the judges if you can help it.

I was joking earlier but now it really feels like at least two of the judges were Golden Boy employees.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Elsalvajeloco said:

Anyone see Hopkins back there during the post fight interview for Canelo smiling like someone from the 72 Dolphins when the Pats lost that SB? Gotta share the title defense record with GGG, but gonna be sometime before someone reaches twenty again.

With some of the dead bodies the pair of them defended their titles against I would be embarrassed to call them real title defenses

33 minutes ago, J.T. said:

This is what happens when you fight with the "I think I did enough to win," mindset.   GGG should've learned the first time and gone in there with the intent to ktfo Canelo.

Do not leave championship decisions in the hands of the judges if you can help it.

Golovkin actually fought more aggressive in the second half than even I expected so I don't think it's an issue with looking for a knockout. I thought he was pretty tired in rounds 5 and 6. Then, he caught his second wind. I think Canelo did a good job of stopping most of those Golovkin rallies, but once Canelo got tired, Golovkin's rallies became more frequent and was more than just one big punch out of a combination. Those uppercuts GGG landed were something you'd expect from Juan Manuel Marquez in his prime thirty pounds south of middleweight. Just nasty. The only thing I think made the difference is those judges did not believe in the jabs Golovkin landed early on. Just like the beginning of the first fight, those jabs that would pushed back any other fighter did not have an early effect on Canelo but showed up later on in the fight. I've seen several fighters retreat within themselves getting hit by a GGG jab. That's how GGG works himself into these fights and how he ends up ultimately scoring knockouts. To Canelo's credit, even though Golovkin got aggressive as the fight went on, he tried his best to avoid those ropes if he could help it. The one thing I believe would have notched GGG a decisive win was to absolutely unload the few times Canelo was backed up. They were going to give Canelo credit for missed and grazed punches that get the crowd fired up. Why not exploit the same tactic? IIRC even Abel said something similar. 

26 minutes ago, Serious Darius Bagfelt said:

With some of the dead bodies the pair of them defended their titles against I would be embarrassed to call them real title defenses

I can't think of a time in the middleweight division in the last 15 or 20 years where someone wouldn't have fought cadavers to be the legit middleweight champ. Canelo beat the remains of Cotto who fought the remains of Sergio Martinez who beat Kelly Pavlik who beat Jermain Taylor. This includes a time where Felix Sturm held the WBA title hostage (got to avoid fighting Golovkin) and Arthur Abraham held the IBF title hostage in Germany. By the time Golovkin was on HBO, Martinez had sawdust for knees and DiBella intentionally saved him from fighting Golovkin and went with the lesser of two evils to drop the titles to.

• Like 2

Yeah, that is sound analysis. 

It seemed like GGG's rep as a headhunter kinda worked against him and he didn't appear to get credit for the jabs he threw early in the fight because Canelo absorbed them rather well and didn't show the effect of the punches until later on in the fight and that's about when GGG started to rally.

3 hours ago, Fallacy! said:

Canelo won tonight for the same reason everyone thought Golovkin should have won the first fight - he was the aggressor, controlled the pace, landed harder shots and constantly backed his opponent down.

I'm not sure about that, considering Alvarez was the only one who was rocked at any point really.

I thought it was close and probably heading for a draw. However, the last three rounds for me was what pushed me towards giving the fight to Golovkin personally. A lot of the rounds were really close, but I feel like there were more 'that was a Golovkin round for sure' than I can say for Alvarez.

EDIT: Having seen that the 12th round was given to Alvarez, effectively winning him the fight...eesh. Again, it was tight, but that doesn't sit right for me.

I didn't think the decision was as egregiously bad as the first fight, but I still feel like Golovkin kinda got hosed. Some of those rounds really were close, but I do think the deciding factor was GGG not being able to get Canelo on the ropes even once in the fight. I'm fine with this being a two fight series, because GGG is going to be another year(at least) older, and I don't know if he has that Juan Manuel Marquez ability to go out there at an advanced age and be effective.

14 hours ago, RandomAct said:

I'm fine with this being a two fight series, because GGG is going to be another year(at least) older, and I don't know if he has that Juan Manuel Marquez ability to go out there at an advanced age and be effective.

I'm pretty sure he'd also have the ability to go out and find some PEDs >_>

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

23 hours ago, Fallacy! said:

Canelo won tonight for the same reason everyone thought Golovkin should have won the first fight - he was the aggressor, controlled the pace, landed harder shots and constantly backed his opponent down for the first five rounds then GGG's took over and won the fight.

FIFY 

• Like 4

I've been thinking about this all weekend, and I'm trying to decide how pissed I am at the judging. I think my issue is that the fight was so goddamn good, I refuse to let the judges ruin it. Both guys looked like the baddest fuckin dudes.

I think the record books for this series will always have an asterisk for future fans that says, "Yeeeeah it was a draw and a Cenelo win buuuuuut...just watch the fights, you'll see."

I thought it was a draw FWIW so wouldn't have been upset with either fighter getting the nod. The mock outrage at Cannelo winning is pretty poor though, he made GGG play his game and it worked no matter how close the result.

One comment I have seen, and I do think it is a good idea that will never happen, is for the next bout to be over 15 rounds. That'll produce a decisive winner one way or another

39 minutes ago, CreativeControl said:

I thought it was a draw FWIW so wouldn't have been upset with either fighter getting the nod. The mock outrage at Cannelo winning is pretty poor though, he made GGG play his game and it worked no matter how close the result.

One comment I have seen, and I do think it is a good idea that will never happen, is for the next bout to be over 15 rounds. That'll produce a decisive winner one way or another

Hardly mock outrage when I had it scored even until GGG's decisively won the 12th. Anyone that gives that rd to Alvarez knows nothing about boxing or is a crooked POS on Golden Boy's payroll. In either case should never be allowed to judge a fight again.