DVDVR Message Board

Random Boxing Thoughts/News v. 6

Elsalvajeloco

It was scary watching him trying to leave the ring. You knew something was wrong when he looked too exhausted and worn down to stand when the official decision was read.

• Sad 1

Man, Mike Lee just looked out of place against someone who was fairly decent. He made Caleb Plant, not really a big puncher, look like he had power in both hands.

9 hours ago, Liam said:

Word going around that Whyte failed a drugs test prior to the match against Rivas.

He did, but the substance(s) he failed for hasn't/haven't been released yet from what I've seen.

Failing drug tests did not get Povetkin a title shot against Wilder so I doubt it's going to speed up any chance of a fight with Wilder and Whyte. If he gets stripped of that bogus interim WBC title (that was announced as being on the line like three days before the Rivas fight), he is screwed something fierce. The WBC isn't going to force Wilder to fight Whyte if he doesn't have that golden ticket of being "interim" champ.

Edited by Elsalvajeloco

9 hours ago, Elsalvajeloco said:

He did, but the substance(s) he failed for hasn't/haven't been released yet from what I've seen.

Failing drug tests did not get Povetkin a title shot against Wilder so I doubt it's going to speed up any chance of a fight with Wilder and Whyte. If he gets stripped of that bogus interim WBC title (that was announced as being on the line like three days before the Rivas fight), he is screwed something fierce. The WBC isn't going to force Wilder to fight Whyte if he doesn't have that golden ticket of being "interim" champ.

Update:

Edited by Elsalvajeloco

On the DAZN card, Tevin Farmer basically did what he needed to do to beat a Frenchman with an unimpressive bloated record to keep his IBF 130 lbs title. Ramirez-Hooker was a pretty entertaining and Ramirez easily had his best performance since he won the WBC belt. The most impressive part is it was against the toughest opponent of his career in Mo Hooker. Ramirez grabs the WBO strap and wants to fight the Prograis-Taylor winner in 2020 after closing out the year with another fight on ESPN.

On the Showtime card, Ladarius Miller and Jezreel Corrales had a fight that Corrales would have won if he wasn't deducted a point. Gamboa probably retired Rocky Martinez by stopping him in two rounds and probably getting himself a fight with Gervonta Davis next. Speaking of Davis, he also punted his opponent (Ricardo Nunez) in two rounds. Sidenote: I'm glad that they hosted this show at Royal Farms Arena (formerly Baltimore Arena and 1stMariner Arena). Davis packed the house for his homecoming fight, and I felt the older looking arena is somehow refreshing from all these newer arenas that just look the same inside but in different locations. 

I dunno if we will see Tevin Farmer and Gervonta Davis unify at 130 like Sergio Mora was calling for over on the DAZN broadcast, but the division is pretty barren once you get past the champions. Tonight just reaffirmed it. I guess since Farmer is with DAZN he can fight either Jo-Jo Diaz or try to unify with Cancio. Berchelt is probably moving up to lightweight to get a fight with Lomachenko since there is a dearth of options for him as well. I dunno if a unification with Herring is that appealing anyway. With that said, in a perfect world, the World Boxing Super Series would get its shit together and we could see a pretty good tournament to get an undisputed champion. As is, it's just guys collecting successful title defenses every other month and against guys who probably won't do anything to stop it.

140 is awesome right now.  Just when you think Prograis and Taylor are fighting over who will be tops in the division, Ramirez comes along and stakes his claim.  Great fight with Hooker, too.  Maybe my FOTY.  Not as compelling a story as Williams vs. Hurd but definitely a barn burner for the time it lasted.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, AA484 said:

140 is awesome right now.  Just when you think Prograis and Taylor are fighting over who will be tops in the division, Ramirez comes along and stakes his claim.  Great fight with Hooker, too.  Maybe my FOTY.  Not as compelling a story as Williams vs. Hurd but definitely a barn burner for the time it lasted.

Hopefully, WBSS can actually pull off Prograis vs. Taylor as well as Inoue vs. Donaire.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Elsalvajeloco said:

Hopefully, WBSS can actually pull off Prograis vs. Taylor as well as Inoue vs. Donaire.

I would love nothing better than to see Inoue slice through Donaire (who I have nothing against) and then "destroy" Nery.  You know more about the management and politics of boxing than I do; is this a realistic scenario?

18 minutes ago, AA484 said:

I would love nothing better than to see Inoue slice through Donaire (who I have nothing against) and then "destroy" Nery.  You know more about the management and politics of boxing than I do; is this a realistic scenario?

Arum has been trying to sign Inoue for the longest probably around the time of HBO doing the Superfly shows and probably will give him a formal offer should he beat Donaire. With Nery being on PBC cards, that creates a much tougher route to that fight. I think Arum's plan is to probably have him fight in Japan once and throw him into one or two co-features before fighting Joshua Greer Jr. (current NABO champ). However, after the Potapov fight, it's clear Top Rank would feeding him to Inoue and not the other way around. The only way Top Rank could sign Inoue and have him fight Nery is if both Top Rank/Ohashi Promotions agree to put aside politics to make a fight with Nery. Inoue is IBF champ and WBA regular champ, but Donaire is WBA Super champion. Nery isn't even in the IBF rankings, but currently #5 in the WBA rankings. If Nery can win a belt in the meantime, it definitely won't hurt the chances of the fight.

Edited by Elsalvajeloco

Terrible year for Eddie Hearn with Anthony Josuha losing his three world heavyweight titles/undefeated record to Andy Ruiz Jr and Dillian Whyte pissing hot again yet the fight with Oscar Rivas still took place. Big payday lost there.

Edited by The Natural