DVDVR Message Board

Random Boxing Thoughts/News v. 6

Elsalvajeloco

It's typical that for once there are two decent fights on one evening. My Sky set up means I can't record a channel I'm not watching, so will need to decide between that fight and the Galahad/Warrington fight.

37 minutes ago, Liam said:

It's typical that for once there are two decent fights on one evening. My Sky set up means I can't record a channel I'm not watching, so will need to decide between that fight and the Galahad/Warrington fight.

Fortunately for me living in the states and having both DAZN and ESPN+, I can just rewind the feeds if need be. I'm going to have both streams on and only really plan to pay attention to Dorticos/Tabiti and Briedis/Glowacki from the WBSS card and only Warrington vs. Kid Galahad from the card in Leeds. I just have to avoid spoilers.

8 minutes ago, twiztor said:

i saw a commercial for Fury-Schwarz and i'm mildly intrigued, despite not following boxing. thoughts?

Fury should win 120-108 or 119-109. I don't see Schwarz doing anything remarkable. Maybe Fury doesn't take him serious and has a little trouble, but I don't see any real excitement coming from this bout in particular.

Robert Byrd let Mairis Briedis land a muay thai back elbow and then let Mairis Briedis knock Glowacki down a full 10 to 15 seconds after the bell sounded. He is a little too old to ref now.

Does the Byrd family have some dirt on the NSAC board or something? They should have both been asked to retire a long, long time ago.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, AxB said:

Does the Byrd family have some dirt on the NSAC board or something? They should have both been asked to retire a long, long time ago.

I like how even the WBC was like, "This is way too corrupt even for us." I thought it was strange they pulled their sanctioning of that fight 24 hours beforehand.

Fury is suppose to be back either 9/21 or 10/5. The latter would the same day as Whittaker vs. Adesanya in Vegas for UFC 243. So the UFC prelims could be the lead in if it is on ESPN.

Edited by Elsalvajeloco
  • Like 1

Not the best night for Puerto Rico on the Golden Boy show. Angel Acosta got stopped in a fight it looked like he was coming back to win on the cards despite one KD and then being hurt bad again. That left hook at the end was fucking brutal.

Then, Alberto Machado got destroyed convincingly by Andrew Cancio and this one definitely wasn't a fluke. Machado got exposed as a frontrunner. If he can't beat you pillar to post from round one on, you can get to him easily. The fight where he won the belt is looking like an exception to the rule after these two Cancio routs.

I know Ray Beltran was the in house fighter and all, but I don't know how more evident it could been that he was taking a beating against Commey. Beltran showed some resiliency, but at no point was Commey really in trouble. By round 4 and 5, it felt like Beltran was just delaying the inevitable.

• 3 weeks later...

There was a point during Joyce/Jennings on Saturday where I was trying to watch the UFC prelims at the same time that when I turned my attention back to the boxing, I thought my ESPN+ stream was frozen because Joyce and Jennings were still standing the same spot from where I last left the action. 

It's going to be a struggle for Joe Joyce to do anything important besides win a domestic title here and there. He is going to have to carefully cherry pick if his last performance is any indication of his future.

Former professional boxer Pernell "Sweet Pea" Whitaker died Sunday night after he was hit by a vehicle in Virginia Beach, Virginia.

Virginia Beach police said Whitaker died at the scene. He was 55. The police are still investigating the incident.

Whitaker was a four-time world champion who won an Olympic gold medal in 1984. He was named boxer of the year by Ring magazine in 1989. He retired in 2001 and spent six years working as a trainer. He was inducted into the International Boxing Hall of Fame in 2006.

Whitaker grew up in Norfolk, Virginia. His youngest son, Devon Whitaker, told the Virginian-Pilot newspaper that his dad was a "cool guy."

"That all I can say about him," Devon Whitaker told the newspaper. "I can't really say how I'm feeling because I'm feeling shocked. I'm still trying to process everything that's going on. But he was a cool guy."

• Sad 6

Pernell Whitaker is on the short list of best boxers of my lifetime.  He also has 3 of the worst robbery losses in boxing history.  I think Roy Jones was better, because of his punching power, but Whitaker may be #2 on my list.  He was as good of a defensive fighter as Floyd Mayweather, but he was a better offensive fighter than Floyd.  

• Like 2

Pernell was one of those guys it took me awhile to fully appreciate and by the time I did, he was almost in the twilight of his career. He was just a magnificent fighter who if you think about wasn't one of those fighters who went to one division, beat one guy for a title, made a defense or two, and then left. You could argue he was above and beyond the best fighter in that division through the people he beat and not who he theoretically would beat on paper. That's the very definition of pound for pound. RIP.

__57.jpg

Premier Boxing Champions: Pacquiao vs. Thurman
July 20, 2019
Las Vegas, NV (MGM Grand Garden Arena)

WBA Super World Welterweight Championship: Keith Thurman © (146.5) vs. Manny Pacquiao (146.5) (sixth defense) - Pacquiao, DEC (split)
Yordenis Ugas (147) vs. Omar Figueroa Jr. (147) - Ugas, DEC (unanimous)
Sergey Lipinets (147) vs. Jayar Inson (147) - Lipinets, TKO (referee stoppage), R2 (0:57)
Luis Nery (118) vs. Juan Carlos Payano (117.5) - Nery, KO (left hook to the body), R9 (1:43)

Fox Preliminary Card:
Emmanuel Medina (147) vs. Peter Dobson (146.5) - Dobson, TKO (referee stoppage), R5 (1:18)
IBF Super Middleweight Championship: Caleb Plant © (168) vs. Mike Lee (167) (first defense) - Plant, TKO (referee stoppage), R3 (0:29)
Efe Ajagba (242) vs. Ali Eren Demirezen (247.5) - Ajagba, DEC (unanimous)
Abel Ramos (147) vs. Jimmy Williams (146.5) - Ramos, TKO (referee stoppage), R4 (2:43)
Genisis Libranza (113) vs. Carlos Maldonado (113) - Libranza, TKO (refereee stoppage), R4 (2:58)
John Leo Dato (127.5) vs. Juan Antonio Lopez (127.5) - Dato, TKO (referee stoppage), R5 (2:05)

Attendance11,346
Gate: $6.26 million
Buyrate: 500,000

Edited by Elsalvajeloco

There will be no Canelo fight for Mexican Independence Day weekend. 

However, in September, there will be a PBC PPV headlined by Errol Spence vs. Shawn Porter at the Staples Center. The date is September 28. This would push Wilder vs. Ortiz II to November 9 with MGM Grand as a frontrunner to host the fight.