DVDVR Message Board

Random Boxing Thoughts/News v. 6

Elsalvajeloco

Jullian Williams did like the most amazing babyface promo after beating Jarrett Hurd for the 154 pound title. He was in the other guy's home town and it was so great the crowd that booed the decision ended up cheering him.

31 minutes ago, sabremike said:

Jullian Williams did like the most amazing babyface promo after beating Jarrett Hurd for the 154 pound title. He was in the other guy's home town and it was so great the crowd that booed the decision ended up cheering him.

Was waiting for the judges to hose him on that one.  Jarrett Hurd should fight Mungia next.  First guy to actually slip a punch wins

14 minutes ago, Serious Darius Bagfelt said:

Was waiting for the judges to hose him on that one.  Jarrett Hurd should fight Mungia next.  First guy to actually slip a punch wins

I like Hurd a lot as a fighter, but you can't drop the first 3 or 4 rounds and then start your rally. Julian Williams actually did the smart thing and beat the crap out of Jarrett Hurd early so he wouldn't get a second wind late in the fight. There was nothing on Hurd's punches in the back half of the fight. 

Golden Boy wouldn't let Hurd anywhere near Munguia. 

4 minutes ago, Oyaji said:

That was one of the most disgusting one punch KOs I've ever seen. Bring on Fury or Joshua.

I would not hold my breath. Three fighters, three different promoters/advisors, three different networks, and three completely different agendas. Wilder is likely rematching Luis Ortiz, Fury is probably facing Kubrat Pulev should he get past the unknown German guy as expected, and Joshua is probably rematching Dillian Whyte when he dispatches of Andy Ruiz Jr.

I like this. That's what the heavyweight division needs,  big dudes laying the lumber and in short order.  I've seen this highlight everywhere tonight. I'd pay to watch Wilder vs. Joshua or one of those scenarios,  I hope they get to it at some point soon it'd be a big money fight. 

5 minutes ago, Serious Darius Bagfelt said:

In other big KO news this weekend Nonito Donaire would be advised to skip his flight and just concede defeat to Naoya Inoue

It's crazy that Donaire is still chugging along because he looked washed in the Walters fight and then the fight with Jessie Magdaleno. Granted, part of that is obviously going down to 118.

2 hours ago, Elsalvajeloco said:

It's crazy that Donaire is still chugging along because he looked washed in the Walters fight and then the fight with Jessie Magdaleno. Granted, part of that is obviously going down to 118.

Yeah the extra pounds did nothing for him.  Credit to him for being able to cut weight as an older fighter but he has caught some breaks with Burnett getting hurt in their fight and Tete getting hurt.  Nonetheless doesn't matter how you win and he is getting some paydays at least

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Serious Darius Bagfelt said:

Subway Mike Lee gets a title shot.  Guy must be near 40 by now lol.  Seems like a lifetime ago he was considered some type of prospect 

I dunno if Mike was a prospect as much as a pseudo celebrity who was a boxer. Compare him to somebody like Robeisy Ramirez (who Top Rank just signed) and it'll tell you how far Top Rank has come from the days of Mike Lee and Tom Zbikowski in terms of sincerity for signing fighters.

49 minutes ago, Oyaji said:

Yeah, the first one was great and all but it's not what I imagine 99% of boxing fans/casuals want to see. 

The only thing Fury, Wilder, and AJ have going for them not fighting each other is the curiosity factor. Joshua has a legit fanbase as evident in the ticket sales from this week's show, but there isn't a whole slew of real opponents for him either. I think Wilder is taking a big risk because out of the potential opponents all three guys, I would say Ortiz and Whyte are the only risky opponents any one of them have now that Big Baby is off the board. Plus, in the first Wilder-Ortiz fight, there wasn't a whole bunch going on in the first quarter of the fight. The only one who could be construed as doing anything at that point in the fight was Luis Ortiz, and he was doing very little. Even in the Breazeale fight, Deontay ran into a big right hand as Dominic was trying to get Wilder off him during Deontay's first big flurry. I get Showtime wants to make money and Wilder-Ortiz did good numbers for Showtime. The only real MONEY MONEY fight is Anthony Joshua. Wilder-Fury II would do decent numbers but again, Wilder losing is not good business especially when he doesn't draw even in the NYC area where you can get tourists to make the trip. How many fights can you have in a half full Barclays Center or Staples Center or wherever? If you're really committed into making Deontay Wilder a star, you either go big or go home. The Breazeale KO going viral is cool and all, but a win over AJ would do him wonders. A loss doesn't even do him a disservice because three or four years ago, it was so silly to call him world champ after beating Bermane Stiverne for Vitali's belt he unceremoniously dropped. He has some charisma and has a puncher's chance against damn near everyone even as a 6'7" guy weighing all of 215 pounds. Go for the gusto. I think the only advantage Showtime has over either Fury or AJ is they can't do as badly as Top Rank and Frank Warren handling Tyson Fury and no one of note to face. No one wants to see Fury against Pulev, this mediocre German he's fighting coming up, or rematching Bryant Jennings. The matchmaking is just uninspiring. Being linear heavyweight champ doesn't mean jackshit. If it did, Wilder-Fury would have done better numbers on PPV. As is, it just did alright.

Edited by Elsalvajeloco