DVDVR Message Board

Random Boxing Thoughts/News v. 6

Elsalvajeloco

Fight promoter hypocrisy example #13232344

Marcus Browne has multiple run-ins with the law in relation to domestic violence

Kathy Duva: We gotta cancel the fight with Sergey Kovalev and replace Browne with Eleider Alvarez.

Sergey Kovalev gets charged with felony assault on a woman.

Kathy Duva:

GGG about to be getting some of that DAZN fuck money by the sounds of it on a two fight deal. A tune-up and then Canelo on Mexican Independence Day. I like that. Seeming as they now have the Premier League in Canada next year on top of their other stuff, I will probably just do a year subscription when the next big fight is.

27 minutes ago, Serious Darius Bagfelt said:

One fighter has dropped out of the World Boxing Super Series and others are grumbling about slow payments.   Going to call it TNA Boxing soon

Well, those rumors have been around for weeks. And the fight they just announced includes the aforementioned fighter (Ivan Baranchyk) whose management said he dropped out. Oops.

On 2/2/2019 at 9:27 PM, Elsalvajeloco said:

Richard Commey just punched his ticket to fight Lomachenko in April at Staples Center after a two round destruction of Isa Chaniev.

Update: Looks like it will be Anthony Crolla on 4/12 due to a hand injury Commey sustained in that bout.

On 1/30/2019 at 5:06 PM, Elsalvajeloco said:

Hugo Ruiz is replacing Abner Mares against Gervonta Davis for next Saturday's PBC card.

It did not go well for Mr. Ruiz. Got blown out in one round and a busted nose for his troubles.

Andrew Cancio got off the canvas to upset Alberto Machado and take the regular version of the championship Gervonta Davis actually defended tonight.

1 hour ago, Serious Darius Bagfelt said:

Is Lubin going to promise that he doesn't get starched in the first round of his next title try

I think he beat Harrison right now but then again Harrison has to rematch Jermell. 

I think Jermell fight was too much, too soon for him and his handlers made a terrible choice. He was fighting all setups and not actual contenders. He is only twenty three or twenty four. He should be fighting guys who make him better (and probably not a faded Ishe Smith but rehabbing him seems to be a priority so it is what it is) and not boxers who won't last three rounds with him. Doesn't help that junior middleweight is top heavy, but someone like Julian Williams would be an interesting opponent.

Tyson Fury on Jarell Miller (paraphrased): I bought him over for a couple weeks of sparring a few years ago. Sent him home after the first day. Seven knockdowns in the first round. Good luck to him.

3 minutes ago, AxB said:

Tyson Fury on Jarell Miller (paraphrased): I bought him over for a couple weeks of sparring a few years ago. Sent him home after the first day. Seven knockdowns in the first round. Good luck to him.

Yeah, I think Tyson is embellishing to say the least.