DVDVR Message Board

Random Boxing Thoughts/News v. 6

Elsalvajeloco

9 hours ago, Elsalvajeloco said:

Damn, Dillian Whyte scored a KO and he was losing on 2 scorecards at the time even with Chisora being deducted two points.

That has to be a shitty feeling, leading the fight only to get KTFO. Brutal KO by Whyte.

• 2 weeks later...

Hiroto Kyoguchi put on a great performance against Hekkie Budler, stopping him to win the WBA & Ring Magazine Light Flyweight title.

Apparently, Kazuto Ioka may have been the victim of bad judging against Donnie Nietes.

13 minutes ago, Hail Sabin said:

Running ads on Fox during both playoff games this weekend probably helped a lot. 

Yeah, I think that helped a bunch but they also had a very nice crowd at Microsoft Theater. Usually, you would need to be some type of star to draw both on TV and in the venue. Uzcategui has just been a guy floating around, and Plant was just an undercard guy for PBC who had some showcase bouts. They were a couple tiers below the Charlo twins in terms of who viewers would readily recognize. For those two, that's pretty damn impressive especially with a soft undercard in terms of matchmaking.

I like how it's 2019 and despite Pacquiao fighting since January 1995, opposition still believe the best foot forward to beat Pacquiao is "he has to stop throwing punches at some point, right?" If you allow him to throw six and seven punch combinations and don't offer anything in return, even if he misses most of it (like he has done for a lot of his recent fights), you're not going to win a round. It's safe to say Manny has figured out the whole getting past a defensive shell thing.

In the PBC headliner, Keith Thurman somehow reversed how a guy coming off a long layoff would look: he looked good early on knocking down Josesito Lopez and landed a bunch of power shots and then started to fade around the middle rounds. He had an awful seventh (losing 10-8 on every card) and took some hard punches after that. I think this rules out Thurman fighting Pacquiao to (lol) unify the WBA title and mandates Thurman take another tuneup fight.

On DAZN, Munguia vs. Inoue was fun and Inoue wasn't a walkover for Munguia at all. Inoue just ate all of Munguia's power punches (ALL of them) and just kept walking forward and landed some good punches of his own. Munguia's lack of defense is going to hurt him if he ever faces a real puncher. 

George Groves has retired with a 28-4 record, 20 KO's. I still remember the two fights with Carl Froch. In their first fight, Groves became only the second fighter ever to knockdown Froch. That fight was stopped prematurely and in the rematch Groves' was KTFO with a one punch knockout by Froch. Groves beat James DeGale and became a world champion at the fourth try.

I'm for this. It will be interesting to see if Wilder actually changes his strat or if he just runs with the pawing 1-2 for the KO even if it wasn't that which brought him his success. Anyway, I could watch those guys fight four more times.

3 hours ago, Oyaji said:

I'm for this. It will be interesting to see if Wilder actually changes his strat or if he just runs with the pawing 1-2 for the KO even if it wasn't that which brought him his success. Anyway, I could watch those guys fight four more times.

I don't think coming in the same weight as he did coming out of the Olympics a smart idea. I think 220 is the lowest he should be. It helps that he knows what he is up against now, but he also has to be more active early on, cut the ring off, and thus having that power is vital. 

I would also like to see him work with a John David Jackson (he would be closest living in Florida) or a Ronnie Shields because they would give him perspective and advice in the corner that Jay Deas and Breland can't give him. Shields also won't BS him into rounds.