DVDVR Message Board

Random Boxing Thoughts/News v. 6

Elsalvajeloco

6 minutes ago, Oyaji said:

Adonis Stevenson is in intensive care following his fight last night. Not a lot of details as the family is understandably asking for privacy. I didn't see the fight. Was the KO that bad? 

Here's the blurb

He was in somewhat rough shape. It was hard to tell because Showtime broadcast was run off the air because the Wilder vs. Fury PPV was beginning. They spent the majority of the last five minutes watching Gvozdyk and his team celebrate and only occasionally showed Stevenson getting help in the corner. it was a lot of people in the ring.

Stevenson took plenty of damage in the last three rounds. Even the round he stunned Gvozdyk, you could argue Gvozdyk won that round because he did the better work. Stevenson didn't have much after that because Gvozdyk was landing step around right hands. He was exhausted and spent so he couldn't keep Gvozdyk off him any longer.

I do feel like that is a thing MMA does better than boxing. Like it pisses me off that they don't allow the team in the cage right away and there's always that awkward moment where the victor is trying to push through security to be with his/her team and SO. But the antithesis in boxing is way way worse. 

1 hour ago, Oyaji said:

I do feel like that is a thing MMA does better than boxing. Like it pisses me off that they don't allow the team in the cage right away and there's always that awkward moment where the victor is trying to push through security to be with his/her team and SO. But the antithesis in boxing is way way worse. 

The big one I remember with the UFC was McFedries vs. Radev from one of the first dozen Fight Night cards. McFedries just absolutely blasts Radev in scary fashion. They turn down the lights in the Seminole Hard Rock and Radev magically floats away. We never heard about Radev or his condition. They never show guys getting stretchered out or getting revived or nothing like boxing broadcasts. I think that has been a big complaint with MMA media especially recently with Sterling vs. Moraes on the UFC Fresno card. I think Sterling even complained about it later that night. I'm not sure if it is the UFC call or the network. If you juxtapose that with some of the football and basketball broadcasts, they will show replays of grisly injuries multiple times and linger on the shot all day. I guess they want the realness and what not. I'm fine with not showing certain things because my line is specifically nasty injuries, but I agree that providing updates is something that any legit sports broadcast w/ integrity should do. In addition, I think you want to avoid the human cockfighting element instead of running headlong into it.

As for boxing and what comes with not being prepared for bad situations, I think it's maybe ironic that Teddy Atlas was there as Gvozdyk's second given his philosophy somewhat related to that. I remember the final run of Friday Night Fights and the beginning of the brief run of PBC on ESPN where he just went off on boxers (no one I can remember specifically) who have large entourages in the ring pre fight. He didn't give any particular reason other than some of those folks have no good reason being there (which does kinda make sense obviously), and it basically came off as Atlas being a cranky, rambling old man who just complains about everything. However, looking at the Stevenson situation, you basically had Gvozdyk's team, you had the Top Rank folks including Arum and Carl Moretti, you had Stevenson's team and family there who were extensive because the fight was in Quebec, you had all of Groupe Yvon Michel's team there, commission members, ring girls, and bunch of media people and photographers. That's so many folks to be in the ring especially when a fighter urgently needs help. I notice with some if not most UK boxing events, at the very least, they cordon off one big area of the ring so the fighter can get the necessary help. You would think after being around for centuries that boxing would be prepared for any and every situation.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Oyaji said:

Adonis Stevenson is in intensive care following his fight last night. Not a lot of details as the family is understandably asking for privacy. I didn't see the fight. Was the KO that bad? 

Here's the blurb

I watched it last night he got MDK in the corner with several nasty shots before the final blow. I know somewhere in the celebration he got to his knees when Gvozdyk checked on him. 

A reminder that the Lomachenko vs. Pedraza 135 lbs. title unification is airing right after the Heisman Trophy presentation. Isaac Dogboe is defending his WBO 122 lbs. title against Emanuel Navarrete in the co-feature.

• Thanks 1

It has been funny watching the rise of Lomanchenko. I saw him at the London Olympics in 2012 and thought he was phenomenal, then found out he'd won at Beijing at a different weight and realised he must be pretty fucking special. Lost track of him and didn't realise he'd gone pro until he won the WBO junior lightweight title in 2016.

Now the hype machine is in full flow, particularly after the Rigondeux and Linares fights, the burden of expectation is so big and absurd that a UD is seen as a 'disappointing outcome' among some boxing fans who obviously watched a few highlight videos on Youtube ? FFS.

Yeah I agree.  The hype machine is out in full force and people are starting to react accordingly and downgrade his performances.  Loma is a freaky talent.  Through 5 rounds Pedraza had landed 7% of his punches.  Everyone was going on how close the fight was but thats only because Loma wasn't throwing much.  Hope the shoulder doesnt prove to be a hindrance.  Shame is Gervonte Davis would be a decent fight but he is only fighting Featherweights but beyond that there's not a lot of good fights for him.  Mikey Garcia would be great but he is signed up to get murdered by Erroll Spence.

• Like 1

In a surprising (or not surprising) bit of news, Showtime will have the U.S. broadcast rights for Whyte vs. Chisora II and not DAZN. Basically, the Saturday boxing slate will have Warrington vs. Frampton will be on ESPN+ at 3 p.m. ET, the Charlos defending their respective titles on Fox at 8 p.m. ET, and the Whyte-Chisora rematch on Showtime at 5:30 p.m. ET.

Cross pollinating from the ESPN 30 For 30 thread in the Sports forum, but do yourself a favor and watch the 42-1 documentary on Buster Douglas's road to his Unified World Title win against Mike Tyson.

it is fascinating!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, J.T. said:

Cross pollinating from the ESPN 30 For 30 thread in the Sports forum, but do yourself a favor and watch the 42-1 documentary on Buster Douglas's road to his Unified World Title win against Mike Tyson.

it is fascinating!

I know there was time constraints and all and I think the doc itself was fine but I wish Mike was there to talk about the fight.  It was weird because they got Aaron Snowell and Snowell, Jay Bright, and the rest of Tyson's entourage at the time caught a ton of shit once Tyson got rid of Rooney in favor of them and the various managerial stuff went down pre Buster Douglas. So obviously Snowell wasn't going to make himself the scapegoat when they talk to him. They went with the getting knocked down in sparring thing when it is common knowledge now Tyson was screwing everything in sight while sequestered in his hotel. When Mike fought Tony Tubbs a year or so earlier in Tokyo, it was the exact opposite because they were trying to make Tyson a worldwide superstar and he was with Robin Givens. In the doc, they just ran all that shit together so you miss that important context. 

They really needed another thirty minutes at least to make that really come together.

Oscar Valdez and Teofimo Lopez will be on the 2/2 Alvarez-Kovalez II card along with an IBF 135 lbs. title fight between Richard Commey and Isa Chaniev. It seems like Valdez will headline the ESPN portion and the main event will be on ESPN+. Top Rank Boxing on ESPN is morphing into HBO Boxing After Dark from years past where three or four different promoters merge for one good or solid card. That's probably going to be a norm for several of these cards going forward.

Gervonta Davis vs. Abner Mares will on 2/9 at StubHub Center.

I think the judges for Jermell vs. Tony Harrison gave a lot more credit to Harrison than he deserved.

I took Jermall a long while to get going against Korobov but you had to expect that. All southpaws ain't the same. Korobov was a tougher fight than Monroe Jr. and Charlo probably spent the whole camp training to walk Monroe Jr. down. He couldn't do that against Korobov and spent the early rounds eating punches to get in on Korobov. I dunno where you really go with Jermall after this. Maybe he can go fight Derevyanchenko since Sergiy is a DiBella guy but that's not really a name fighter and another tough matchup. N'Dam also won today so I mean that's another fight. At least with N'Dam, even if he is tricky, he is still vulnerable enough to get KO'd.

I guess we're getting Joshua-Whyte II on Showtime on 4/13 and Wilder-Breazeale on Fox next. Then, Wilder vs. Fury II on Showtime PPV and Joshua-Miller (on DAZN?) happening later next year. Let's hope Murphy's Law doesn't get involved.