DVDVR Message Board

Random Boxing Thoughts/News v. 6

Elsalvajeloco

The Charlos are returning 12/22 on Fox: Jermall is defending his interm WBC 160lbs. title against Willie Monroe Jr. and Jermell is defending his WBC 154lbs. title against Tony Harrison. The card is taking place at the Barclays Center.

On 10/23/2018 at 7:26 PM, Elsalvajeloco said:

The Charlos are returning 12/22 on Fox: Jermall is defending his interm WBC 160lbs. title against Willie Monroe Jr. and Jermell is defending his WBC 154lbs. title against Tony Harrison. The card is taking place at the Barclays Center.

Gosh there's a couple of must not see fights right there

• 2 weeks later...
12 hours ago, Elsalvajeloco said:

Usyk vs. Bellew is this weekend and I'm intrigued to see if Usyk can be as impressive as he was against a big hitter like Gassiev.

I'll be listening to BBC Radio 5 Live commentary with the best commentator in sport for me, Mike Costello.

What chance does Bellew has? All I know is that Bellew has upset the odds before and Usyk is the Undisputed Cruiserweight Champion having won them in a short amount of time, he's also undefeated. My knowledge of boxing is slim. I'm better when it comes to MMA. Thanks.

7 hours ago, The Natural said:

My knowledge of boxing is slim. I'm better when it comes to MMA. Thanks.

I'll take "Silly things said by CM Punk for $200, Alex"

21 hours ago, The Natural said:

What chance does Bellew has? All I know is that Bellew has upset the odds before and Usyk is the Undisputed Cruiserweight Champion having won them in a short amount of time, he's also undefeated. My knowledge of boxing is slim. I'm better when it comes to MMA. Thanks.

You can get 5/1 on Bellew so the answer is not all that much - I think if it wasn't for the fact that he's Tony Bellew the odds would be higher; that doesn't make any sense but you know what I mean right?

He supports the wrong team but he's a sound lad, so win, lose or draw hope he goes out on a high before he heads back out to Hollywood.

• Thanks 1

Damn good fight between Bellew and Usyk and an even better knockout sequence from Oleksandr Usyk. Bellew fought well and probably took rounds 1 through 3, but Usyk started figuring him out in round 4. It was just a matter of time and couple of adjustments by Usyk leading to a dazzling eighth round knockout.

12 hours ago, Serious Darius Bagfelt said:

As long as PBC is around John Molina Jr and Josesito Lopez will have fights on TV.  Couple good ones on that list but I can only see Spence vs Garcia going one way

Gonna be super interesting to see what happens with Showtime because PBC is essentially replacing UFC. I expect Showtime to sign some free agents, but if Showtime is also making a big commitment to boxing in 2019, who do they get to fight with Fox hogging a lot of the talent? I mean we saw happened with PBC being on then still Spike, NBC, ESPN, and CBS.  Showtime got the crumbs and the ratings were not very good even by Showtime boxing standards. However, when all those time buy deals expired and content shifted back to Showtime, the ratings slowly went back to normal levels and recently were even competing with the sinking HBO ship. I expect Deontay Wilder to fight on Fox next year so if even he fights three times a year...that's only two possible  fights for Showtime. And that's hoping for everything to go well because we already had Wilder get fights postponed and canceled to due to injury and opponents failing VADA tests. 

It's not like there is going to be corporate synergy between Fox and Showtime. Fox is going to want to have all those guys exclusive or close to exclusive with UFC no longer providing all that content. Hell, I can see some of the Fox shows overrunning into Showtime broadcasts which rarely happened in the past when Fox was the B side for nights where Showtime had their cards later on.

They're basically revamping the boxing content on Fox. This is basically forcing Showtime's hand. If they don't start grabbing fighters now, they will be where HBO boxing was in the last few years: just kinda drifting from event to event with fighters who are good and notable but with no real direction and endgame for them. You can't make big fights if everyone is on Fox. Coming off Wilder vs. Fury on Showtime PPV, where do you go? Make a big play for Golovkin? Try to woo folks like Jaime Munguia and Dmitry Bivol? I don't see much meat left on the carcass of HBO boxing especially with DAZN willing to overpay everyone to be there.

Saw two really impressive performance tonight. Now that Regis Prograis has graduated, Jaron Ennis with his dismantling of Raymond Serrano is now among the best of the class of ShoBox. His older brothers Farah and Pooh were classic Philly fighters, but they never really got past being the opponent. Jaron Ennis showed real, real potential. He clowned Serrano from both southpaw and orthodox and took him apart.

Mo Hooker showed a ton of poise tonight in retaining his belt against Alex Saucedo. I picked Hooker to win simply because how much stock can you put into Saucedo beating Lenny Z. Not only that, but having an all out war with him. Hooker is on a different and it started to showed after the first three rounds when Saucedo could no longer hold Hooker on the ropes. Hooker just started to break him down and that's something you're not going to get fighting a spent veteran like Saucedo has fought coming through the ranks like a Lenny Z.

They teased Hooker vs. Ramirez in a title unification bout at 140. And it's going to be interesting because it asks if Top Rank really wants to let an outside fighter like Hooker beat another in house fighter let alone a top priority fighter like Jose Ramirez. Saucedo is good for being a local draw. Ramirez is not only a local draw but someone Top Rank is really investing in. Morever, Hooker is co promoted by Eddie Hearn who happened to be lurking around the ring after Hooker beat Saucedo in front of Saucedo's hometown. Does Top Rank let Hooker beat Saucedo and potentially upset Ramirez (who looked as vulnerable against Amir Imam) and then go to DAZN to do Hearn's bidding? That's a huge risk and never been Top Rank's M.O. Usually if Top Rank brings in someone to fight a Top Rank guy, they make sure it's someone who is gonna put over a Top Rank fighters. You have an exception like Isaac Dogboe who many picked to win going into enemy territory, but they also signed Dogboe when he beat the brakes off Jesse Magdaleno. They can't do that here with Hooker. Top Rank needs ratings so at some point they have to take a chance.

The Sunday People is reporting that there's another Benn vs Eubank fight on the way. And it's not Conor Benn vs Chris Eubank Jr either. 54 year old Nigel vs 52 year old Chris. Biggest British boxing feud of the 90s coming back 26 years after the first fight (and 23 after the rematch). 

See what you've done George Foreman?

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, AxB said:

The Sunday People is reporting that there's another Benn vs Eubank fight on the way. And it's not Conor Benn vs Chris Eubank Jr either. 54 year old Nigel vs 52 year old Chris. Biggest British boxing feud of the 90s coming back 26 years after the first fight (and 23 after the rematch). 

See what you've done George Foreman?

Conor Benn vs. Jr's cousin/Eubank Sr's nephew Harlem Eubank would make more sense as they're both welterweights. I could see that happening once the latter gets more experienced. Eubank Jr is a super middleweight. Although, that hasn't stopped weird matchups in Mexico where random offspring/relatives fight each other for shits and giggles. You'll have Jorge Paez Jr fight one of Canelo's seventeen brothers who aren't that good and fight Julio Cesar Chavez's son Omar.

Also, at least Foreman was a heavyweight and took several years off so he didn't have a bunch of wear and tear. Amir Mansour was in prison for a long time, came out , and did fairly decent even at almost 40.  Anyone who isn't a heavyweight or Bernard Hopkins shouldn't be allowed to fight beyond the age of 43.

Tyson Fury was training at Big Bear, for the Wilder fight. But he left after 2 weeks because he was getting tired in training.

What an idiot. The whole point of training at altitude is so you get tired in training.

• Haha 2

5 hours ago, AxB said:

Tyson Fury was training at Big Bear, for the Wilder fight. But he left after 2 weeks because he was getting tired in training.

What an idiot. The whole point of training at altitude is so you get tired in training.

From what I heard, that was always the plan. He was going to train at Abel Sanchez's gym for a few weeks to spar with Joe Joyce (who is now under Abel Sanchez) and then move it to Hollywood/Los Angeles. That would explain adding Freddie Roach to his camp. In his current health/condition, Roach rarely leaves his gym unless it's to corner folks. 

I never heard that Fury was necessarily going to stay in Big Bear.