DVDVR Message Board

Random Boxing Thoughts/News v. 6

Elsalvajeloco

I used to say to the boxing is dying folk that it would die if HBO got out of the fight game but with these new ESPN/ESPN+ and DAZN dealsyou really could see this coming since HBO was giving people scraps.  Will miss Harold Lederman's lovely voice.  Hopefully no one runs out to sign Max Kellerman for commentary.  He's grinded my gears at the best of times.  Annoyed the fuck out of me in the worst

12 hours ago, Serious Darius Bagfelt said:

I used to say to the boxing is dying folk that it would die if HBO got out of the fight game but with these new ESPN/ESPN+ and DAZN dealsyou really could see this coming since HBO was giving people scraps.  Will miss Harold Lederman's lovely voice.  Hopefully no one runs out to sign Max Kellerman for commentary.  He's grinded my gears at the best of times.  Annoyed the fuck out of me in the worst

Kellerman is already with ESPN for First Take... so you should probably get ready to see him on ESPN boxing as well now that he won't have his HBO contract...

I wonder if they will make room for Kellerman. Kriegel and Atlas had it out the first week and then suddenly the only time Atlas is calling fights is Ryota Murata title defenses at 5 in the morning. They stuck Atlas with Stephen A. Smith, who was on the first Top Rank broadcasts too, for big fight analysis outside the venues. So basically, Atlas is there three times out of the year to do something boxing related.

Also if you have Kriegel, do you really need Max Kellerman? One of those guys instantly becomes obsolete with the other guy present.

• 2 weeks later...

Massachusetts won't approve Billy Joe Saunders vs. Demetrius Andrade because of Saunders failing a VADA drug test. WBO mandatory Walter Kautondokwa is a likely replacement for Saunders against Andrade.

Also, Fury vs Wilder might not happen, or might be made non-title, because Fury hasn't filed his VADA paperwork yet. He's got seven days, and that's not very long to fill a form in. For him.

1 minute ago, AxB said:

Also, Fury vs Wilder might not happen, or might be made non-title, because Fury hasn't filed his VADA paperwork yet. He's got seven days, and that's not very long to fill a form in. For him.

It looks like Fury has sent his paperwork in and been cleared.

On 9/28/2018 at 9:58 PM, Elsalvajeloco said:

Once Callum Smith hurt Groves the first time, it was just a matter of time.

It's a bit sad really. While I was never much of a fan, it was hard not to see Groves was on the up and up, alas he was never the same after Froch KO'd him (saw the same thing happen to Enzo Macrinelli when Haye knocked him out in his last fight at cruiserweight, it's like it haunts them and makes them gun shy) and it had taken him this long to find his groove once again only to get knocked out again. He's gotta call it a career now

28 minutes ago, CreativeControl said:

It's a bit sad really. While I was never much of a fan, it was hard not to see Groves was on the up and up, alas he was never the same after Froch KO'd him (saw the same thing happen to Enzo Macrinelli when Haye knocked him out in his last fight at cruiserweight, it's like it haunts them and makes them gun shy) and it had taken him this long to find his groove once again only to get knocked out again. He's gotta call it a career now

Groves' strength of schedule hasn't been the greatest even in the World Boxing Super Series. The best fighter he fought since the Froch fights, Badou Jack, he lost to and hadn't fought another good fighter until Callum Smith. IMO His time came due.

Shakur looked good in what they were calling his step up fight.   

I thought Crawford/Benavidez was very entertaining.  But for most of the second half of the fight Jose was just taking shots and shaking his head like "nope, you can't hurt me" but I guess he found out after that hellacious uppercut.  I jumped out of my seat.   I love Bud, he went for the kill and got him. 

I think the ceiling for Shakur Stevenson if we stay in the same weight division is Gary Russell Jr. Other than Lomachenko, he has clearly won all of his fights and knocks out the dudes he is suppose to. The advantage Shakur has is he much taller than your normal featherweight so he probably be at 130 and 135 in no time and have success. Even though he had his best performance last night, I still would not rush it. I would give him another 13-16 months and see where he is then compared to the guys who are champions. Let him build his name up beating these also rans and fringe contenders.

Besides a Wilder vs. Joshua fight or Crawford vs. Spence/Mikey Garcia fight, boxing on PPV is about to lie dormant. If you contrast that to the height of TVKO or SET fifteen to twenty years ago where nearly every major fight was on PPV, that's sort of insane. Talk about market correction.

Speaking of HBO, Dmitry Bivol vs. Jean Pascal is going to be on HBO on 11/24 and will probably end being the last HBO boxing broadcast especially in light of Canelo vs. Fielding going to DAZN. FWIW Pascal is replacing Joe Smith Jr., who chose to fight Artur Beterbiev for his IBF title instead.

So from the previous posts,  the Canelo deal was an 11-fight deal worth a minimum of $365M with DAZN.  I don't have the streaming service,  I've heard mixed reviews on stream quality but they are acquiring some nice properties. It's amazing that now between this,  ESPN+ and the other network deals the days of spending $80 on a PPV are all but done. 

14 hours ago, Niners Fan in CT said:

So from the previous posts,  the Canelo deal was an 11-fight deal worth a minimum of $365M with DAZN.  I don't have the streaming service,  I've heard mixed reviews on stream quality but they are acquiring some nice properties. It's amazing that now between this,  ESPN+ and the other network deals the days of spending $80 on a PPV are all but done. 

It's putting a ton of pressure for these streaming services to put on content that draws though. I think unless Bellator creates a star, that's a non-starter as it relates to really putting eyeballs on DAZN. Keep in mind, they still will have a good majority of shows on Paramount anyway. I don't see a ton of Hispanic people subscribing to see Amanda Serrano, Goyito Perez, and Alberto el Patron fight for Combate Americas. Thus, it all comes down to Canelo and Anthony Joshua. I see Joshua vs. Wilder landing on PPV domestically stateside no matter what. I don't see Joshua fighting domestic world level opponents like Fury, Chisora, Joyce, or Whyte and really galvanizing American fans. Are Canelo fans really going to tune into his fights on a computer? Are bars and movie theaters going to carry Canelo fights from a streaming platform? Canelo is a big star but there is a reason he's trying to goad Mayweather into fighting him. That Golovkin rematch on PPV was a disappointment even though it drew over 1 million in buys. With no opponent with a big name, who in the fuck is he going to fight? Chunky DeGale? Zurdo Ramirez is signed with Top Rank and that's a competitor. One of the Charlo twins? David Benavidez who is with Al Haymon and likely to be Showtime exclusive? Do we not remember the caliber and notoriety of opponents between the Mayweather fight and the Golovkin fights? The remains of Alfredo Angulo...James Kirkland off career hiatus #754...the third or fourth best Smith brother. Julio Cesar Chavez Jr. putting on one of the all time mediocre performances in a boxing match more than 300 people watched. He had the benefit of someone with some name like Miguel Cotto still lingering around and Amir Khan being extremely desperate and verging on pathetic in craving a "superfight".

I think giving Bellator 20 to 30 million a year is bad deal. Giving Canelo $365 million guaranteed over a dozen fights when there is no telling when he will be over the hill and no real megabouts on the horizon is a potential disaster. Richard Schaefer was kinda hinting at this in the LA Times article. DAZN is looking for Canelo to subsidize everything else. Schaefer's point was more or less that PPV subsidizes Canelo. There was a reason why HBO in the last five or so years had to put anyone making a purse $2 million or more on PPV. If you hit a certain reasonable threshold with a set PPV price or the max amount you can charge people are comfortable with, you're doing good and don't have to worry about losing an obscene amount of money. I wouldn't bank on a bunch of Mexican-Americans (meaning in numbers that would justify $30+ million a fight) subscribing to DAZN let alone retaining them. You're asking for the culture of boxing to change. 

It sounds like DAZN is already losing money in the U.S. but outside of the U.S. they stream soccer,  NFL, Rugby and all sorts of other stuff.  I'm not sure if they are in good shape with that and if that's partially a reason why they can throw money around like they just did with Canelo.  Maybe it's another Netflix situation too where everyone is wondering which tech company is going to throw billions at them to buy them out. 

24 minutes ago, Niners Fan in CT said:

It sounds like DAZN is already losing money in the U.S. but outside of the U.S. they stream soccer,  NFL, Rugby and all sorts of other stuff.  I'm not sure if they are in good shape with that and if that's partially a reason why they can throw money around like they just did with Canelo.  Maybe it's another Netflix situation too where everyone is wondering which tech company is going to throw billions at them to buy them out. 

It would be different if Netflix came into the market doing shit like Bright and Outlaw King and not being established at all. The U.S.Twitter account for DAZN doesn't have 30 thousand twitter followers and paying Canelo Alvarez 30 million a fight. Manny Pacquiao had a vastly better array of possible opponents and wasn't getting above $25 million guaranteed per fight on PPV. I think all this shows is that it takes an exorbitant amount just to have (not the biggest, not one of the biggest, or any other superlative) fight card and that's going to distract any possible media conglomerate or big time investor from looking at the reach you may have. Major stick and ball sports and film and TV I get. Two niche sports hovering on a decline if not already in the middle of one I do not. I can guarantee you Eddie Hearn is not the Ryan Murphy or Shonda Rhimes of combat sports. Neither is Oscar de la Hoya.