DVDVR Message Board

Random Boxing Thoughts/News v. 6

Elsalvajeloco

HBO_PPV_Canelo_Golovkin_KeyArtLogo2.jpg

Canelo vs. Golovkin II 
September 15, 2018
Las Vegas, NV (T-Mobile Arena)

WBA Super/WBC/Ring Magazine Middleweight Championship: Gennady Golovkin © (159.6) vs. Saúl Álvarez (159.4) - Álvarez, DEC (majority)
- WBA Super (eighth defense)
- WBC (fourth defense)
- The Ring Magazine (vacant)

WBO Super Welterweight Championship: Jaime Munguia (154) vs. Brandon Cook (153.2) (second defense) - Munguia, TKO (referee stoppage), R3 (1:03)
David Lemieux (160) vs. Gary O'Sullivan (159.2) - Lemieux, KO (left hook), R1 (2:44)
Román González (114.8) vs. Moisés Fuentes (116) - González, KO (right hook), R5 (1:44)

Free Preview Preliminary Card:
Vergil Ortiz Jr. (139.6) vs. Roberto Ortiz (139.8) - Ortiz Jr., TKO (referee stoppage), R2 (1:03)
Alexis Rocha (148.4) vs. Carlos Ortiz Cervantes (148) - Rocha, DEC (unanimous)
Jaba Khositashvili (166.6) vs. Lawrence King (168.4) - Khositashvili, DEC (unanimous)
Brian Ceballo (146.6) vs. David Thomas (146) - Ceballo, TKO (referee stoppage), R2 (0:34)

Attendance: 18,183
Gate: $23.4 million
Buyrate1.1 million

Repost from the Random Boxing thread with a update:

Triple G vs. Canelo Alvarez II this weekend. I much prefer MMA to boxing but I'll sometimes watch the big fights in the mood strikes. Three thoughts.

The fight shouldn't be happening as Canelo pissed hot twice. The "punishment" was bullshit. Thank you to @Oyaji for posting what Dave Meltzer had to say about the failed tests. I will read that when this goes through.

The fight is happening so hopefully Triple G picks up the win he deserved last time out against Alvarez. Fuck Adelaide Bird for that God awful scorecard she gave,  10-2 to Alvarez. Triple G now has a draw when it should be a perfect record.

I'm wanting Alvarez to get KTFO. Goes without saying I don't want him badly hurt as fighting is dangerous with people dying/life changing injuries.

Hopefully we can get some judges for this fight that are not on the Golden Boy payroll....

Just kidding.  The first fight was a close and contested slugfest. GGG would be wise to do his best not to leave the decision in the hands of the judges.  

He also needs to establish his jab early to dissuade Canelo from counterpunching him into oblivion.

It's interesting that a lot of fighters and trainers are picking Canelo based on them seeing Golovkin as long in the tooth, but Canelo has been boxing six months longer than Golovkin as a pro. Are people forgetting that when Morales and Barrera looked old, they were like 28 or 29 because they had been pro boxers for 13 or 14 years at that point? It's not a long amateur career, but it's still not natural.

People are worried about Golovkin looking over the hill, but how long do people believe Canelo is going to be at this level already approaching 30? I say 2-3 years tops which is probably about the same time I would give Golovkin. The Vanes fight still proved he can cave your face in if he wants. I don't see that dissipating quick enough where he would be losing to random middleweights he would normally beat. Jacobs is a really good fighter and Canelo is good also. He pretty much destroyed everyone else and the division still pretty thin save for Saunders, Canelo, Jermall Charlo, and Jacobs. We'll see if Demetrius Andrade can shake his career being snakebit. Other than that...Ryota Murata? Dude is already old. Jury is still out on Derevyanchenko. Munguia's peak, assuming he does eventually move to 160, will probably be when GGG is out of the picture anyway. Out of those four that are good, Charlo is the only big puncher. Saunders and Andrade are going to try to outbox you. The rest of the middleweight division is hot garbage and the only prospect that people care about is still at junior middleweight. So even if he isn't good as he was , which I don't see much evidence of as much as he didn't need to be this mythical destroyer to beat past opponents, he can still run through mandatories and the non Haymon/Showtime fighters. If he beats Canelo here, is the reaction going to be Canelo wasn't that good or Golovkin is back? Because both arguments are pretty flawed and faulty.

Apparently, this fight is BOTH Canelo and Golovkin's last fight on their HBO deals. So I guess this is essentially a loser leaves town fight. HBO already backed out of the Kovalev business by basically passing on the Eleider Alvarez rematch. After Superfly 3 tanked both attendance wise and ratings wise (Garcia vs. Porter on Showtime beat them by 200k viewers which is unheard of), they can't afford to lose Kovalev, Canelo, AND Golovkin after losing Crawford, Lomachenko, Klitschko (who got good ratings when he did appear on HBO), Ward, and Cotto. I don't know how they would bounce back from that.

Poor Spike O'Sullivan did all that talking and got left hooked into another decade in one round. Loudmouth Irish fighters aren't faring so well this past month.

I don't expect Brandon Cook to be in there long with Munguia so it's going to be a lot of filler on this PPV.

6 minutes ago, Craig H said:

Suddenly reminded of why I hate watching big boxing events.

What, you don't enjoy an hour and a half of talking heads yammering nonsensically?