DVDVR Message Board

2018 NFL: WEEK TWO

Dolfan in NYC

3 minutes ago, sabremike said:

With the way the line has gone to complete shit he'd end up being killed like any other poor bastard who ends up as the Bills QB. The team is being incredibly stupid to put Allen in because he is just going to get beaten up badly. Why would you put him in that position?

Because that kind of trial by fire turned David Carr into a HOFer.  Oh wait...

• Haha 1

48 minutes ago, Tabe said:

For example - Detroit ran the ball only 13 times this past Sunday in a game that was tied 17-17 in the 3rd quarter.

The Lions haven't had a running game since Barry Sanders hung it up.

I mean, they've tried. . .they've used picks on running backs and invested in the offensive line and whatever else. Their run game has just been putrid for years now.

20 minutes ago, Gonzo said:

The Lions haven't had a running game since Barry Sanders hung it up.

I mean, they've tried. . .they've used picks on running backs and invested in the offensive line and whatever else. Their run game has just been putrid for years now.

They were snake-bit for quite awhile with one RB after another suffering devastating injuries.  Kevin Jones was stud as a rookie - 1100 yards at 4.7 YPA and then had injury problems.  He's just one of many.

The last 5 years they haven't even tried.  I mean, seriously, they bring in Blount as a big name free agent pickup and give him 4 carries.  FOUR carries.  No, those 4 carries weren't successful but c'mon.  You gotta feed the beast at least a little.  ESPECIALLY SINCE THE GAME WAS CLOSE (for awhile).

In looking over the last 15 years to look at Lions leading rushers (including one year where the leader had *390* yards), I was reminded that Daunte Culpepper was actually in Detroit for two seasons, including the 0-16 year.  He was 0-10 in his starts.  I'd somehow forgotten all about him being in Detroit, let alone for that long.

2 hours ago, Tabe said:

Tough to argue with this.  He's had shockingly little help but he also hasn't really elevated anything.  He's had one great year (2011), one excellent year (2015), and a lot of "meh" that featured a ton of yards.  He's had a series of OCs that don't care about running the ball and a series of GMs that don't care about protecting the QB.  But...he also is willing to abandon his technique at the drop of a hat and make poor decisions.  He's limited INTs in recent years but his accuracy suffers when he "gets fancy".  

I firmly believe there's a great quarterback in there somewhere but we've only seen flashes.

His numbers were also helped when his primary target for much of his career was the leader of the goddamn Decipticons.

Which also made for terrible habits for years.  "Eh, I can throw into triple coverage while staring down guys and also don't have to be accurate" since Megatron would bail him out.

18 hours ago, Tabe said:

Which also made for terrible habits for years.  "Eh, I can throw into triple coverage while staring down guys and also don't have to be accurate" since Megatron would bail him out.

Stephen A. Smith constantly cracking up whenever he says the name of the Detroit's offensive coordinator will forever amuse me. 

1 hour ago, odessasteps said:

We have two guys in the office watching the game in separate rooms (actually, buildings) because one is from Ohio and a Bengals fan and the other is a Ravens fan. 

High five the Bengals fan for me, defenstrate the ratbirds fan. Actually the guy might do that himself after tonight. Oh God does it feel good to beat that team!!!

11 hours ago, odessasteps said:

We have two guys in the office watching the game in separate rooms (actually, buildings) because one is from Ohio and a Bengals fan and the other is a Ravens fan. 

Your office sounds like my version of hell minus Curt Schilling being there

1 hour ago, RIPPA said:

Your office sounds like my version of hell minus Curt Schilling being there

What do you have against the Bengals? Other than @supremebve the Browns fan and @Technico Support the Ravens fan or the handful of yinzers why would anyone on this board hate us??? That's like hating the Mariners or something.

• Haha 1

53 minutes ago, dogwelder said:

ESPN's reporting that the Browns are releasing Josh Gordon on Monday

According to Schefter, even though Gordon only has 3 accrued seasons, he won't be subjected to waivers if he's released. He'll be a free agent and have the ability to sign wherever he wants.