DVDVR Message Board

2018 NFL: WEEK TWO

Dolfan in NYC

Last week was easily the most annoying week of football in which my team won.  

How on god's green earth did DEFENSIVE MATERMIND~~~ Matt Patricia have a rookie drop almost 50 on them. How does Pittsburgh turnover the ball 5 times and not lose.  Ugh.  So many questions.

Fuck the Jets.  

New England-Jacksonville & Minnesota-Green Bay are the big matchups this week. 

10 hours ago, Dolfan in NYC said:

How on god's green earth did DEFENSIVE MATERMIND~~~ Matt Patricia have a rookie drop almost 50 on them. 

He's the mastermind of the defense of the only team to ever gain 600 yards and lose. So he probably sucks. But, to be slightly fair, his QBs threw five picks including a touchdown, and a punt was taken to the house. And the two best players on the defense did spend some time hurt during the game.

Basically the Lions were awful in all three phases.

1) Allen probably could have used the first team reps all camp and preseason, if they were willing to go to him this quick. If they weren't... I mean, there were replacement level quarterbacks available.

2) If Allen busts, it's worth remembering that the Bills were the team Kansas City traded up with in order to get Mahomes. So, they could have had him or Watson for a year already.

2 minutes ago, Beech27 said:

1) Allen probably could have used the first team reps all camp and preseason, if they were willing to go to him this quick. If they weren't... I mean, there were replacement level quarterbacks available.

2) If Allen busts, it's worth remembering that the Bills were the team Kansas City traded up with in order to get Mahomes. So, they could have had him or Watson for a year already.

Or you know, kept that other guy who took them to the playoffs for the first time in 20 years.     ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Dolfan in NYC said:

Or you know, kept that other guy who took them to the playoffs for the first time in 20 years.     ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Dude, when they were in the playoff hunt and benched Tyrod for Peterman, I knew Tyrod was gone.  The real issue is that they decided that Peterman was the starter after training camp.  This may get worse before it gets better, because I don't believe in Josh Allen at all.

They shouldn't have traded Mccaron. He could have donated his body to the next two weeks, because those D's are brutal. I've seen flashes with Allen, which is more than Peterman has ever shown.  I didn't really like the pick of Allen, I thought they should have addressed the lack of depth on the team, but it is what it is. BTW even Tyrod would have gotten eaten alive behind that line.  Tyrod is barely above replacement level anyway, but that's still way above where Peterman and Allen right now. They need to get someone, anyone NOW in case of an injury. . .

4 minutes ago, Kuetsar said:

They shouldn't have traded Mccaron. He could have donated his body to the next two weeks, because those D's are brutal. I've seen flashes with Allen, which is more than Peterman has ever shown.  I didn't really like the pick of Allen, I thought they should have addressed the lack of depth on the team, but it is what it is. BTW even Tyrod would have gotten eaten alive behind that line.  Tyrod is barely above replacement level anyway, but that's still way above where Peterman and Allen right now. They need to get someone, anyone NOW in case of an injury. . .

God, it's almost as if there's a whole other thread about this exact sort of situation and someone who'd be happy to play. 

• Haha 4

Just now, Kuetsar said:

Tyrod isn't great, but in a league with about 10 good quarterbacks he's better than replacement level.  How many legitimately good quarterbacks are in the league?  Nick Foles was the Super Bowl MVP last season, and Matt Ryan was the league MVP the year before, I don't think I describe either of those dudes as good.  

Rodgers is questionable for Sunday against the Vikings. I'm wondering if they'll keep him out, in order to try to salvage their season, and prevent the Minnesota defense from finishing what Chicago started.  After what Chicago did to Kizer on Sunday, Brett Hundley probably sounds good to Green Bay right about now.

24 minutes ago, Mike Campbell said:

Rodgers is questionable for Sunday against the Vikings. I'm wondering if they'll keep him out, in order to try to salvage their season, and prevent the Minnesota defense from finishing what Chicago started.  After what Chicago did to Kizer on Sunday, Brett Hundley probably sounds good to Green Bay right about now.

So does missing the playoffs by one game?  

6 hours ago, supremebve said:

Tyrod isn't great, but in a league with about 10 good quarterbacks he's better than replacement level.  How many legitimately good quarterbacks are in the league?  Nick Foles was the Super Bowl MVP last season, and Matt Ryan was the league MVP the year before, I don't think I describe either of those dudes as good.  

I think most can agree that there are four legit great QBs right now: Brady, Rodgers, Brees, and Big Ben.  I'll throw in Rivers, Alex Smith, Cam and Russell as legit good.

• Like 1

I think there are very few unconditionally good/great quarterbacks, but probably quite a few who have been or could be very good depending on circumstance.

Like, Ryan’s MVP season happened. Granted, PFF suggested he had really incredible luck when it came to contested and interceptable balls, but if he had stayed close to that, he’d be very good (at least). But he lost his OC, Sarkisian hasn’t impressed, and here we are. 

Alex Smith was an all-time bust, until he had a run of creatively conservative offensive coaches who could make his checking down work—and last year he had one of the best passer ratings on deep balls in the NFL, because Hill and Kelce were so often schemed open. Mahomes is clearly more skilled, but gets all those same benefits now—how would he look in Buffalo?

Obviously everyone wants Rogers or Brady, but the problems really start when you build your team like you have those guys—even when you don’t. It is, after all, a salary cap league. Flacco, Wilson, and Ben all won on cheap deals with great defenses. It’s been harder for the first two to replicate that since their cap hit went way up—to say nothing of guys like Carr and Stafford who have similarly inflated salaries and even less success behind it all. 

But then, what happens if you don’t pay those guys? It’s harder to start over, and a lot of people get fired, so good(ish) quarterbacks perpetuate the very circumstances that prevent them from looking better. 

5 hours ago, dogwelder said:

I think most can agree that there are four legit great QBs right now: Brady, Rodgers, Brees, and Big Ben.  I'll throw in Rivers, Alex Smith, Cam and Russell as legit good.

Did you see him play last week?  Forget great, I'm worried that even good is rapidly walking out the door.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Brian Fowler said:

Stafford is the ultimate statistical guy. Nobody has put up better numbers through age 30 than him, but there's nothing but a handful of first round eliminations to show for it.

Tough to argue with this.  He's had shockingly little help but he also hasn't really elevated anything.  He's had one great year (2011), one excellent year (2015), and a lot of "meh" that featured a ton of yards.  He's had a series of OCs that don't care about running the ball and a series of GMs that don't care about protecting the QB.  But...he also is willing to abandon his technique at the drop of a hat and make poor decisions.  He's limited INTs in recent years but his accuracy suffers when he "gets fancy".  

I firmly believe there's a great quarterback in there somewhere but we've only seen flashes.

On 9/12/2018 at 11:20 AM, Dolfan in NYC said:

With the way the line has gone to complete shit he'd end up being killed like any other poor bastard who ends up as the Bills QB. The team is being incredibly stupid to put Allen in because he is just going to get beaten up badly. Why would you put him in that position?

• Like 1