DVDVR Message Board

Raw Is The Napoleonic Code - 9/10/2018

Dolfan in NYC

1 minute ago, Craig H said:

I honestly think KO has the ability to break through and be the face of the company for them if they just let him be the Steve Austin type he should be. He cuts one of the best promos in the company, he can go in the ring, and he can be an ass kicker. 

I hope Owens persists and doesn't give up. He doesn't strike me as the type who would do that, but this company does strange things to people.

I saw an interview with KO post-Summerslam (can't find it now) and he opined the booking a little, something along the lines of "There are highs and lows in every wrestling career. Chalk that one up to a low and move on." Seems like he knows how things work and also didn't he just sign on for another five years?

And agreed, vicious ass kicker Owens is the best Owens. I don't know about him as a face in WWE, but I'm kind of hoping that promo is leading to renewed heel push (if there's even room for another top level heel right now).

9 hours ago, sydneybrown said:

Not necessarily an explanation, but if there was ever a guy who needs a reboot, it's Kevin Owens.  I can't remember the last time he won any match of significance or came off as any sort of threat (Shane and his oofing?) That Strowman feud made him look so bad, I thought he was about to be released.

Agreed 100% I've been sick of Strowman all year but that shit was beyond awful, and the Owens feud had been going for MONTHS. SummerSlam killed off any interest I had left in Owens character and destroyed his credibility as a top heel, made it so there was no reason to take any of his stuff seriously. Gets squashed in a minute then suddenly goes 22 with Seth, "quits", comes back the very next week... and of course he's aiding Braun, very much 'just another guy' in the heels get destroyed opening last night. Since returning to Raw in April, Owens has won one singles match. A shame considering one year ago, he was in one of the hottest feuds in the company and the Cell with Shane was super fun.... that was definitely the last time he was a significant threat. I do agree that he has, or had, potential to be a lot more than where he's at now. (personally thought he came off fantastic as a crossover/mainstream kind of star in the Shania Twain concert video).

10 hours ago, Rick said:

The OG's lived or died by their promos in the 90's, it's no surprise they kick ass every time they're called upon. Owens did cut a good promo, but I'm still unsure as to why he ''quit''. More unnecessary overproduced garbage, but that's Raw. 

There's some definite truth there, but, hell, Taker isn't even a particularly good promo man from that generation, and HBK and Trips are both inconsistent at best. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Craig H said:

That also happened in November and each were still in featured roles after that.

Owens and Sami were programmed against Shane and set up to be his adversaries for Mania.  It is why they faced no real consequences then and in all likelihood why their booking results went to hell the moment Mania was done.  Sami will be fine upon return and Owens is probably either past or at the tail end of it now, but I am about 75% sure that all they went through from Mania through Summerslam was due to it.

• Like 1

I'm still watching this on Hulu and I'm loving it. My favorite parts so far are the Shield going full Watts with the axe handles, the Dogs Of War being a thing, Big Show as Jerry Lewis, the fact that they've made me actually interested in this HHH/ Taker match, and a skit with four guys where one is a rent a cop or local security and Corbin is the worst actor. 

I heard the Foley shit is great, the HITC 98 video was boss, as well.

I loved the end of the show, and the Foley stuff was fantastic. But, I've seen a lot of "See, when you let a guy like Foley talk without a script it's great" in regards to this. But that whole segment was totally scripted. I'm sure Mick helped write it, especially his lines, and I'm sure he improvised a tad. But it was the delivery, the acting, the performance that was so great and deserves to be praised.  Then we get Braun delivering lines that would be good enough normally, but they really seemed fake after Foley. Then the fight happened and I was back into it. 

I turned it off after the first segment and the Shield beat up over ten guys alone. There is a way to do it, but that weak shit is not it. 

This thing already had a few problems with WWE expecting fans to to feel bad for the Shield, when this fight started with them ganging up on Braun. You create a piece of drama by putting the Shield in a situation they have never faced before. Which I guess someone did not like because the Shield beat up ten guys with tiny bats. Among that group is the Authors Of Pain. Who i thought were suppose to be a big deal. 

I watched a few segments on Youtube and it felt like death. Renee is better than Coach, but not by much. Why do they need three people on commentary? This is a holdover from the heel Cole era and it has never worked. Cole and Graves could probably be a good team. Giving Cole a unique partner with no history with better announcers. But we won't know because they want three people. 

10 hours ago, The Natural said:

It wasn't a particularly good looking Hart Attack, but I appreciate the effort. There was no excellence in that execution.

The Revival's on the other hand, looked really good. I'd like for The Revival to start using other team's finishers. The Hart Attack, the power-plex, Demolition's decapitation elbow, all building to the big moment when they break out the spike piledriver. That would get them over as faces if they were to work an angle against McZiggler.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

It wasn't a particularly good looking Hart Attack, but I appreciate the effort. There was no excellence in that execution.

The Revival's on the other hand, looked really good. I'd like for The Revival to start using other team's finishers. The Hart Attack, the power-plex, Demolition's decapitation elbow, all building to the big moment when they break out the spike piledriver. That would get them over as faces if they were to work an angle against McZiggler.

Remember when Vince and Shane did all the big tag finishers against DX.  I marked out for Shane doing the Bret pose after hitting it.