DVDVR Message Board

Burt Reynolds has died at the age of 82

John from Cincinnati

Heads up for anyone with Amazon Prime, Burt’s film from this year, The Last Movie Star, is available there. It’s a fictionalized reflection on his own career. I’ve been meaning to watch it for some time.

I'm curious if he shot his scenes for Once Upon a Time in Hollywood or if Tarantino will have to recast.

My favorite line in all of cinema comes from Burt Reynolds in Cannonball Run. Its racist as all get out but yet still funny. The only thing that might top it is Sammy Davis Jr reaction to being called "The Chocolate Monk"

James

5 hours ago, (BP) said:

Heads up for anyone with Amazon Prime, Burt’s film from this year, The Last Movie Star, is available there. It’s a fictionalized reflection on his own career. I’ve been meaning to watch it for some time.

I'm curious if he shot his scenes for Once Upon a Time in Hollywood or if Tarantino will have to recast.

According to Deadline, he never did. He did the table read in June, and was scheduled to film later this year. 

Watching ‘Gator’ (for the first time!) and ‘Smokey ‘ tonight in his honour. 

If you haven’t read his autobiography, get on that ASAP, it’s terrific. The story about people thinking he had AIDS in the 80s is nuts. 

RIP to one of my late-discovered favourites. 

This is one of the more depressing "Death comes in 3" motifs as 3 celebrities from WrestleMania died with in the span of like 3 weeks

Aretha Franklin - August 19

Robin Leach - August 24

Burt Reynolds - Sept 6

Evanier's quick write up (https://www.newsfromme.com/2018/09/06/burt-reynolds-r-i-p/). Obviously it's quick, personal, anecdotal. It just stuck with me so I'm sharing it. 

I liked Burt Reynolds in many of his films and most of his appearances with Johnny Carson. There's something very friendly about a handsome leading-man type who doesn't take himself too seriously and can laugh at his own image.

He once appeared on a TV show I worked on but we didn't meet when he taped his spot. A few weeks later though, he dropped by the office about something else and we got introduced. We talked for about ten minutes about nothing that mattered one bit. But it did matter to me that he was the same self-deprecating guy with the hyena laugh who appeared often with Johnny.

Then one evening I was at a party and I listened as his ex-wife Judy Carne told a small group of folks how when she was married to him, Burt used to beat the hell out of her. From that point on, it became somewhat more difficult to like Burt Reynolds.

42 minutes ago, Matt D said:

Evanier's quick write up (https://www.newsfromme.com/2018/09/06/burt-reynolds-r-i-p/). Obviously it's quick, personal, anecdotal. It just stuck with me so I'm sharing it. 

Reveal hidden contents

I liked Burt Reynolds in many of his films and most of his appearances with Johnny Carson. There's something very friendly about a handsome leading-man type who doesn't take himself too seriously and can laugh at his own image.

He once appeared on a TV show I worked on but we didn't meet when he taped his spot. A few weeks later though, he dropped by the office about something else and we got introduced. We talked for about ten minutes about nothing that mattered one bit. But it did matter to me that he was the same self-deprecating guy with the hyena laugh who appeared often with Johnny.

Then one evening I was at a party and I listened as his ex-wife Judy Carne told a small group of folks how when she was married to him, Burt used to beat the hell out of her. From that point on, it became somewhat more difficult to like Burt Reynolds.

That last paragraph was like a record scratch type moment.  Reading up on it it seems he has a lot of regret about how he was back then though it didn't mention that part.  I would like to think he became a better man as time went on but there's no excuse for that.

I don't watch many movies and admit to not having seen most of his, even Smoky which should have been an obvious one to watch.  I'll need to watch that someday.  But he always seemed like a cool motherfucker and it's easy to see why he was so beloved.  But for recent work I thoroughly enjoyed his role in Archer.

Those of us who are older remember the very very ugly, public divorce he and Loni Anderson had (and Loni made similar accusations though she seemed to excuse it due to Burt's drug use)

God that divorce went on for so very long...

1 hour ago, Matt D said:

Reveal hidden contents

That last paragraph:

Kevin-Hart-Ohfuck.gif

When it comes to Smokey and The Bandit, I think as a kid I actually saw Part 2 before the first one. I would have loved to have been in the room for the pitch.

"Burt, we want The Bandit to steal an elephant...

Can Dom be involved somehow?

Sure, we'll throw him in the truck with the elephant".

I also love Cannonball Run II. i mean I would be totally fine if it were the only movie I could watch in The Medium Place. I wish it was on youtube, but The Human Bomb scene from the opening is one of my favorite bits along with JJ (Burt) telling some back country sheriff that Fenderbaum and Blake were a couple of communist spies trying to steal the nukes in the trunk of their car.

Dean's deadpan of "COMMIES? I'M NOT EVEN A DEMOCRAT" is one of my favorite one off lines ever.

I thought Burt's physical abuse of Judy was a well known thing. They did reconcile after he hosted the Tonight Show and had her as his first guest. I thought the claims of physical abuse by Loni Anderson were debunked but that might be me wishing they were because you don't want to believe a guy that seems so fun and friendly is somewhat of a monster

I remember seeing Sharky's Machne in theaters. I was what you might call a bit too young for it.

James

On 9/6/2018 at 1:54 PM, (BP) said:

Seriously everyone go watch this. Burt should get an Oscar nomination for it. He gives an incredible performance.

• Like 1