DVDVR Message Board

MAE YOUNG CLASSIC 2 - EPISODE 1

Eivion

Tegan Nox vs. Zatara

Rhea Ripley vs. MJ Jenkins

Lacey Lane vs. Vanessa Kraven

Meiko Satomura vs. Killer Kelly

So far the matches are happening in the order taped.

Nox/Zatara was a good opener and decent showcase for both women.

Ripley/MJ was solid. I like Ripley being meaner and a little more power based. Love the pumphandle powebomb as her finisher.

Kraven/Lane was the weakest match of the night, but still pretty decent. Lane has talent, but she isn't all there yet. Kraven looked great, and I want to see more of her. I recall liking what little I saw of her NEO tour years ago and she has only improved since then. I'm just a tad annoyed she didn't make the next round. I need to see more of her indy work.

Satomura/Kelly was a great showcase for Satomura. I honestly felt a bit sorry for Kelly since the crowd died in her last comeback. Meiko was awesome giving a good taste of what she brings to the table.

The commentary was pretty solid from what I heard. I didn't tune out nearly as much as I did with Lita and Ross.

This is already off to a far better start than last year's tournament.

All of the matches were fun to watch. I like that the first round has a 15 minute time limit so that the matches are really driven to be intense quickly.

Good first episode. So far all of the wrestlers look like they belong in the tournament which hasn't been true for last years or the CWC I hope that keeps up. I left wanting to see more of all the women.  My only complaint was that matches lacked a bit of suspense because these matches had obvious winners except for maybe Lane/Kraven but I didn't expect them to job the hometown girl right away her loss will mean more if she got atleast one win. The down side is that Lane was probably the lowest of the 8 women shown tonight but she's signed, has a good built in story and a unique look. 

I thought Ripley was good last year and she has gotten better. I hope the NXT UK show starts airing so I can watch her (and Killer Kelly & Nox) more often. 

Kelly being in tears and showing respect to Meiko after the match was probably the highlight. That emotion for sharing the ring with Satomura should really help show people unfamiliar with Meiko what she means to women's wrestling. 

• Like 1

I agree that all four matches were decent to good.

I like the new Ripley. She stands out much more this year than she did last year. Jenkins is one of those talents that I thought Impact squandered. 

Kraven looked great and I agree that it sucked to see her leave so early. Kinda like Jazzy from last year. But I see a lot of potential in Lane and she does indeed have a cool look. 

I got a kick out of the baby Meiko WCW clips. I remember those days lol 

Most of the women in this tournament I have no familiarity with.

Rhea Ripley and Meiko Satomura stand out as stars with Killer Kelly (enjoyed her on the UK Tournament special but she looked better here) not being far behind.

Tegan Nox, Zatara, Lacey Lane looked solid.

Meiko Satomura vs Asuka would be cool to see at the bottom of the Evolution PPV card 

5 minutes ago, Bill S. Preston ESQ. said:

Meiko Satomura vs Asuka would be cool to see at the bottom of the Evolution PPV card 

Not to derail things too much, but their 2014 match in Kana Pro is worth tracking down. It's really good, of course, but also interesting from a production aspect. (Most matches don't have a live soundtrack.)

2 hours ago, Sublime said:

The down side is that Lane was probably the lowest of the 8 women shown tonight but she's signed, has a good built in story and a unique look.

Am I think only one that thought Ember Moon’s little sister was coming out?

Contacts. Face Mask. Dyed hair. Hood. Dramatic throwing off of the hood.

• Like 3

I loved the first episode and hate that I have to wait until next week to watch another one.  Here are my thoughts...

Tegan Nox and Zatara solid, but I don't think their styles meshed very well.  This was clearly a Tegan Nox showcase, and she performed well.  Her offense looked good, she sold the knee well, and came across like a future star.

Rhea Ripley vs. MJ Jenkins was fun as hell mostly because of Ripley, but MJ Jenkins was able to project some personality which made this a step up from the previous match for me.  I'd probably say I thought Tegan Nox had a better performance in her showcase than Ripley, but not by much.  I also have developed a fairly large crush on both Nox and Ripley and will be rooting for them for the rest of the tournament.

Lacey Lane vs. Vanessa Craven was OK, but Lane is a little too green for this stage for my taste.  She has HUGE potential, but I would have rather Craven gone over here.  Lane is someone who is going to get her chance, she could have ate the pin here.  

Meiko Satomura vs. Killer Kelly was by far my favorite match of the night.  Killer Kelly was obviously here to put over the veteran, but she really made the best of the situation.  From the moment she came to the ring, she looked like she was trying to make us all believers...and she succeeded at least for me.  Satomura is silky smooth in the ring, and her offense is vicious looking.  My favorite moment was when Meiko hit a move and went for a cover, and the look on Satomura's face said, "I love this fucking job."  

• Like 2

Highly enjoyable first episode. Thought Tegan looked great, Ripley looked even more impressive than last year, Jenkins showed potential, and Lacey is a real good new signing.

Meiko/Kelly was absolutely awesome. Thought Kelly looked fantastic and like a super star in the making while Meiko of course was as amazing as expected. I figured round 1 is going to be similar to last year where none of the matches went ten minutes, so this felt like a display of how to have the best possible 7 minute match and it excelled. Hard hitting, great moves, brought the emotion, loved it.  Definitely want to see more Killer Kelly and look forward to as much Meiko as we get.

6 hours ago, Ramo2653 said:

I can't belive that Ripley is 5'7. She projects way bigger in matches.

Yeah, If you would have asked me how tall she was, I would have guessed she was about 6'0" if not taller.  She projects large but she also seems more athletic than most of the other women in wrestling.  As far as ceilings go, it is Bianca Belair and Rhea Ripley...then a huge gap...then everyone else.  

• Like 1

Wait - if you talking just athleticism - Kacy Catanzaro is right with them as there are reports that she is already incorporating stuff clearly stolen from lucha into her moveset

If you are talking big picture... then carry on

4 minutes ago, RIPPA said:

Wait - if you talking just athleticism - Kacy Catanzaro is right with them as there are reports that she is already incorporating stuff clearly stolen from lucha into her moveset

Until I actually see Kacy Cantanzaro, I'll reserve judgment.  Bianca Belair is the kind of athlete who does something once a match that makes me say, "wait, how did she do that?"  Ripley looks like she should be slow and plodding, but is just super smooth and fluid in the ring.  If Cantanzaro is in that class, I'll be thrilled.  

From a Florida house show

Lacey Lane, now called Lay Lane, & Kacey Catanzaro beat Reina Gonzalez & Taynara Conti. Catanzaro did all kinds of great stuff and was over. One move was leaping off the apron over the top rope back into the ring, landing on the middle rope and doing a springboard dropkick.

So if she does that - it is gonna go over real well in Full Sail

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, RIPPA said:

There we go - I had been trying to find a gif to show but hadn't found one that worked.

Mainly because I figured Aerostar had to do it and spaced searching under Fenix

Yeah, Aero is more springboard from the second to the outside, Fenix is second outside to in.

4 hours ago, RIPPA said:

I saw a gif of her hitting some moves during this tournament. That woman is going to be over huge if she is able to do shit like that with any sort of semi-regularity. She will be to women what Rey was in 90s to juniors/cruiserweights fans.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Overly Critical Man said:

I'm just offended at how terribly that person that attended the house show, described that dropkick.

To be fair - what I posted was Meltzer's summary of it so it is probably more Dave's fault than anyone's

Fun first episode, though I thought Tegan Nox looked pretty bad throughout her match. I was unfamiliar with her before this, found out later she was one of the hyped entrants, and could not see why. Can someone explain what those uppercuts were actually supposed to be? 

I think Lane is going to be really good. She clearly has a lot of cool ideas and I liked her approach. Meiko looked amazing, and I also dug what Kelly brought on her end. 

Episode 1 Review

• Like 1

Surprised they didn't feed someone to Craven in the first round, but Lane has a cool story and she clearly has a ton of potential. Their match was laid out really well, especially to show the size difference. Something about Craven made me think of Big Ethel and now I can't get that visual out of my head.