DVDVR Message Board

Best Mediocre Wrestlers

notoriusvig

11 minutes ago, Greggulator said:

Tommy Dreamer. He was the face of ECW but was a really boring promo without really anything going for him in-ring besides from the willingness to get tossed through a bunch of stuff from high distances. 

The best "battle of average dudes" was his feud with Justin Credible. It had such a hot set-up with Justin Credible interrupted the 10-bell salute to Tommy's grandfather. But then it's like... yeah, okay, these guys are here and I'm going to fast forward this dubbed copy of ECW Extreme Warfare V 2.5 so I can see Sabu already.

Pretty much. Dreamer worked because he was the "everyman" in ECW. He was the guy who gave his blood, sweat, and tears for ECW. He was devoted to the promotion, just like the fans, to the point where he allegedly turned down a WCW contract. (He still leads the crowd in the "ECW" chant during his matches to this day!) His ringwork didn't matter in the long run.

And I don't care what anyone says,  Justin Credible was the best choice for ECW champion in 2000.

• Like 2

Lethal is way too good for that. Guy has been having really good matches non-stop for like 15 years. He's one of the most underrated wrestlers of all-time.

Of course, he might also be a sexual predator which certainly hurts the fandom...

• Like 2

my vote goes to Buff Bagwell. remembered (sometimes fondly, sometimes not) for his character, but the definition of mediocre in the ring. multiple time tag champ, each time with a different partner, but the partner was always the better wrestler (ok, scotty riggs is arguable).  

can anybody name a great Bagwell match?

• Like 3

5 hours ago, twiztor said:

can anybody name a great Bagwell match?

Bagwell & Scorpio vs Pillman & Austin. But with the other three, you could have put anyone in there and it would have been good.

2 hours ago, odessasteps said:

My word association with Bagwell goes:

1. Calf implants

2. Broken neck

3. Judy Bagwell

4. Top hat

5. Handsome stranger

6. Spraywell High School 

Honorable mention: julie strain, American Males song, spokane

What about Gigolos?

^Yeah, that

Having just re-read the Pillman book I was gonna mention that tag too. How easy do you have it when Scorpio is your partner? I mean we were even talking in the other thread about having Sandman and him as a team; Hak could probably come in frying on acid like in that Stairway to Hell match every night and the match would still be good.

• Like 1

Could the answer be Brian Adias?
Bland as fuck babyface then suddenly a kinda interesting heel. Forget that he had the worst finisher name ever ("The Oroentl Tool"). Christ World Class was crawling with perfectly fine mediocre wrestlers for so long. I mean between 3 Simpson brothers, Lance Von Erich, Al Madril, Brian Adias and so many others World Class was like the KABOOM cereal  fed for medicoity

James

1 hour ago, J.H. said:

Could the answer be Brian Adias?
Bland as fuck babyface then suddenly a kinda interesting heel. Forget that he had the worst finisher name ever ("The Oroentl Tool"). Christ World Class was crawling with perfectly fine mediocre wrestlers for so long. I mean between 3 Simpson brothers, Lance Von Erich, Al Madril, Brian Adias and so many others World Class was like the KABOOM cereal  fed for medicoity

James

Just about everyone except the Freebirds, the Dynamic Duo, the MX, the Fantastics, Gang, Kabuki and Iceman. 

I would put Casey, Brooks, Oliver, the Link and that era Lewin in the mediocre camp. 

and even though he was th AWA's premier enhancement guy Jake "The Milkman" Milliman might be the patron saint of great mediocre wrestlers... no wait, fuck that Milliman was so much more than mediocre. He was legit good. There were far more mediocre guys working for Verne Gagne than Jake. I mean Doug Somers might've been the greatest dull worker to hold the AWA tag titles

James

6 minutes ago, J.H. said:

and even though he was th AWA's premier enhancement guy Jake "The Milkman" Milliman might be the patron saint of great mediocre wrestlers... no wait, fuck that Milliman was so much more than mediocre. He was legit good. There were far more mediocre guys working for Verne Gagne than Jake. I mean Doug Somers might've been the greatest dull worker to hold the AWA tag titles

James

In addition to being a monster, Buck Zumhoffe might barely be mediocre. Cornette did a great burial of him recently on his pod. 

Zumhoffe was always channel changing material for me. Even before finding out about what a scumwad he was  nothing about him made me want ot watch him. At least Jake Milliman had that underdog babyface vibe where when he was allowed offense the crowd got hot for it. 

Could "Mr. Eletricity" Steve Regal v. Zumhoffe be the worst feud for a Jr. title ever put forth on TV?

James

• Like 1

Greg had an off-putting way of moving/taking bumps/throwing some offense, but they have a ton of really good matches. Anyone who doesn't like Greg as a wrestler either is really caught up in aesthetics or only knows about wrestling second-hand. 

• Like 1

I am a little bit of an AWA mark because that is the live wrestling we got in Vegas back in the early 80's. I can understand not being a big Gagne fan because there is definitely quite a bit of vanilla there, but the absolute dismissal of him as the over-pushed promoter's son is just silly.

58 minutes ago, Execproducer said:

I am a little bit of an AWA mark because that is the live wrestling we got in Vegas back in the early 80's. I can understand not being a big Gagne fan because there is definitely quite a bit of vanilla there, but the absolute dismissal of him as the over-pushed promoter's son is just silly.

That crown belongs to Erik Watts.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, J.H. said:

Zumhoffe was always channel changing material for me. Even before finding out about what a scumwad he was  nothing about him made me want ot watch him. At least Jake Milliman had that underdog babyface vibe where when he was allowed offense the crowd got hot for it. 

Could "Mr. Eletricity" Steve Regal v. Zumhoffe be the worst feud for a Jr. title ever put forth on TV?

James

He can rot in prison, but there is no denying that Zumhofe was over like rover. As hard as it is to imagine today, a dude with Randy Savage hair, wearing an Elvis jumpsuit and coming out to the ring to Crazy Little Thing Called Love with a big ass boombox had people on their feet.

I can't believe that I've allowed this thread to go so long (even participating in it) without mentioning a guy that was not only the very definition of "mediocre" but was also pushed to the top of the card of a major territory, not for one hot angle, noooooo, this severely limited in-ring, nails- on-chalkboard voice for promos was top of the card for YEARS... How could I forget the man they misguidedly chose to fill the boots of the great Playboy Buddy Rose? Of course I am speaking of the man who in a 20+ year career could not be dragged to better than a  *** match by ANYONE. I refer of course to the big stinky fish in Don Owen's rather small pool in the Pacific Northwest, the man that charisma forgot, Rip (the  Crippler) Oliver.  

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Execproducer said:

He can rot in prison, but there is no denying that Zumhofe was over like rover. As hard as it is to imagine today, a dude with Randy Savage hair, wearing an Elvis jumpsuit and coming out to the ring to Crazy Little Thing Called Love with a big ass boombox had people on their feet.

It was the AWA, people knew that was as close to contemporary as Verne was going to get... 

• Haha 2