DVDVR Message Board

Best Mediocre Wrestlers

notoriusvig

Give me Carlito.  The guy never tried to be good and clearly didn't give a fuck throughout his entire run but still managed to be entertaining as hell.  That's the shit to me.  A guy who didn't try at all and was still a capable worker and hilarious on the microphone as were his facial expressions.  

• Like 3

Mike Rotunda does not belong in a discussion of mediocre wrestlers, the dude was great. When you're the best guy on a team with Barry Fucking Windham, you're pretty damn good.

• Like 3

@OSJ is the one guy on the board who, when presented with the name 'Mike Rotundo', rather than automatically thinking Michael Wallstreet or IRS, thinks US Express. He must have been good when he was young, hungry and healthy. He was already into the grizzled vet period by the time he was in the Varsity Club.

Hey now, I can pull the geezer card as well. Rotundo in Florida was a very effective babyface with a great amateur wrestling gimmick - the heels would drive him to lose his temper for great comebacks where he would meet them on their dastardly violent level. The US Express was a over-like-Rover tag team that did not follow the Fabulous/R'n'R mold but sexy for the ladies and were hard-hitting enough for the menfolk. Varsity Club was tall genius too.

- RAF

• Like 1

18 hours ago, AxB said:

@OSJ is the one guy on the board who, when presented with the name 'Mike Rotundo', rather than automatically thinking Michael Wallstreet or IRS, thinks US Express. He must have been good when he was young, hungry and healthy. He was already into the grizzled vet period by the time he was in the Varsity Club.

How good were they? Rick Derringer wrote "Real American" for them.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Matt D said:

He was. That said, Rotunda was two years older with a year and a half less experience and certainly less experience as a top guy. 

Year and a half less experience as a pro, but pretty impressive amateur cred. Remarkably good team considering how green they were.

2 minutes ago, OSJ said:

Year and a half less experience as a pro, but pretty impressive amateur cred. Remarkably good team considering how green they were.

Rotunda was trained pretty closely by the Destroyer, but Windham was really a fixture in Florida for five years at that point against all sort of world class talent. Even then, the pair of them working for months with Murdoch and Adonis helped matters too. 

3 hours ago, Curt McGirt said:

This brings to mind: how much old Florida footage do we have? 

Not nearly enough is the correct answer.  There's quite a bit, but there's also quite a bit lost. Really wish we had all those Georgia masters that Ole threw out.

• Like 2

17 hours ago, Curt McGirt said:

I was wondering because all I think I've seen is stuff with no sound. Florida wasn't ever mentioned in the '80s project conversations far as I know (except for that Random Territories set). 

Oh, there's lots of Dusty, Mulligan and Kevin Sullivan doing his devil gimmick floating around. Check Youtube or ask at Wrestling Classics, my buddy Crimson Mask is from Florida and likely has a whole bunch of stuff.

I cannot express my adoration for the above clip enough, so many of my favorite rasslin things: Florida, young BWindham, Solie, an Asiatic spike, that janky army cot stretcher... Muraco is one of the top three heels EVER in my opinion, just check out that promo and his impatient stalking whilst YBW is being attended to. So so good.

- RAF

p.s. - who was thee genius who named that move? "how about the thumb of death?" "naw, the asian thumb!" "the asian spike!!" (genius guy) "it needs to be called Thee ASIATIC Spike" "yes" "yeah" Who was that??!?!? Why does that work so much better? The move even gets traced and historicized, via thee Magnificent One & Killer Khan to Terry Gordy. Damn, I love this stuff.

• Like 2

On 9/7/2018 at 2:28 PM, Curt McGirt said:

It's not fair to throw Gordy under the bus; the guy practically died and had permanent brain damage for fuck's sake. To do so is mean-spirited at best. 

I wasn't throwing him under the bus. I was advocating for him--how many people do you see praising his ECW run? But to pretend that he was the same worker post-coma is intellectually dishonest.

Tommy Dreamer. He was the face of ECW but was a really boring promo without really anything going for him in-ring besides from the willingness to get tossed through a bunch of stuff from high distances. 

The best "battle of average dudes" was his feud with Justin Credible. It had such a hot set-up with Justin Credible interrupted the 10-bell salute to Tommy's grandfather. But then it's like... yeah, okay, these guys are here and I'm going to fast forward this dubbed copy of ECW Extreme Warfare V 2.5 so I can see Sabu already.

• Like 3

11 hours ago, OSJ said:

Oh, there's lots of Dusty, Mulligan and Kevin Sullivan doing his devil gimmick floating around. Check Youtube or ask at Wrestling Classics, my buddy Crimson Mask is from Florida and likely has a whole bunch of stuff.

What I would die to see is Florida-era NEW BREED. I think I've seen all the New Breed promos from NWA on YouTube. Need more time travelling 80s dystopian future in my wrestling.