DVDVR Message Board

Best Mediocre Wrestlers

notoriusvig

2 hours ago, notoriusvig said:

Sid is a great example of a mediocre guy.  He had AMAZING presence at times and when he was protected well, he looked pretty serviceable.  But, when he was unchained, the guy was horrible, case in point his 99-00 stuff.  

But it's 99-00 WCW. No one was good in 99-00 WCW. Even Rey Jr kind of sucked, and he's Rey friggin' Mysterio.

The answer is Randy Orton. Good looking guy who covered his body in shitty tattoos; can have ridiculously great matches when he is motivated to, but almost never is; is so brittle he literally got injured taking out the garbage at home; generally acts as bored in the ring as the audience is watching him.

• Like 1

First time I saw Adam Bomb in the WWE, I thought there was no way he wouldn't be a huge deal.  Great look, wacky gimmick, huge guy with a power finisher.  When he didn't set the world on fire, I couldn't understand why.

Years later and understanding the business better, I went back to that period and realized that the biggest problem with the Adam Bomb is that it was Bryan Clark with a good gimmick.  And, at the end of the day, Bryan Clark kinda sucked at most things pro wrestlingly.

I don't think I'd call Clark the best worst wrestler, but he's the first guy I thought of when I saw the thread.

• Like 1

Would have said Cody Rhodes if it wasn't for his reinvention on the indies. The Rhodes Scholars and the Shield feud were great. Legacy was bad, Stardust was worse. Quite the balance, quite the mediocrity. The fart soaked couch cushion of the WWE. He's awesome now, though. 

But yeah, Chris Masters? Has coasted his entire career outside of a couple of overrated matches on Superstars. 

49 minutes ago, Player One said:

First time I saw Adam Bomb in the WWE, I thought there was no way he wouldn't be a huge deal.  Great look, wacky gimmick, huge guy with a power finisher.  When he didn't set the world on fire, I couldn't understand why.

Years later and understanding the business better, I went back to that period and realized that the biggest problem with the Adam Bomb is that it was Bryan Clark with a good gimmick.  And, at the end of the day, Bryan Clark kinda sucked at most things pro wrestlingly.

I don't think I'd call Clark the best worst wrestler, but he's the first guy I thought of when I saw the thread.

I also immediately thought of Adam Bomb when I saw this thread.  Perhaps nobody ever has better embodied the Ideal Vince McMahon look.  A big man who could move like that could've been the next Undertaker, and yet all he ever could do with it was keep himself employed.  Good squash match (and boy did he get a lot of them!) but seemingly nothing else.

Justin Credible follows close on his heels as second to mind, and I'm going to cross-reference my post about him in the Heels Incapable Of Being Faces thread.  Credible's best asset as a heel was his milquetoast competence, which protected him from ever looking cool or edgy enough to be turned face by a smarky crowd.  He's right at that tipping point where the better he becomes at wrestling, the paradoxically less successful he becomes as a wrestler.

7 hours ago, Tromatagon said:

Sid

But Sid rules

I don't know if I can really call him mediocre but he's not great in the ring and everyone would forget he was world champion so many times if you weren't reminded.

But he did stab a coworker and get rehired while the stabbed coworker still worked for the company and was made champion while working with the stabbed coworker.  That's some next level shit.

Sid wasn't mediocre. He was simultaneously objectively terrible and objectively awesome. He's the best bad wrestler ever.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

BTW, I always fucking hated Kevin Nash. Did anyone other than Nash himself think he was funny or cool? 

When Scott Hall wanted to be, he was so good, but was there anybody who just said "fuck it" and put it on autopilot more than Hall? 

• Like 1

On 9/5/2018 at 11:32 AM, notoriusvig said:

Who do you guys think are the best mediocre wrestlers of all-time?  Guys who maybe had the looks and size to be a star but just didn't have much else, and even got big pushes too. 

I have to think that Paul Roma is the bottom of the barrel for mediocrity and the standard bearer.  He was good looking with a good physique who wasn't going to draw for shit.  For the top of the mediocre list, I'd put guys like Lex Luger and Bobby Lashley.  I'm a fan of Luger but he never had the charisma to justify his big pushes.  I loved him as a babyface and wish he'd have gotten more time in a role like that.  Lashley is as dull as you can get, with no major presence or charisma, and the only way he is looking good is through amazing protection/booking.  I'm told his heel run in Impact was decent though but since returning to the WWE, he has kinda floundered.

How about Matt Hardy before his Broken run?  Who else you guys got?

I'm not really sure that I understand the  question  as you mention Lex who was far better than most people give him credit for being. Lashley is an equally odd example as he's no better or worse than how he's booked. That said, he certainly fits MY definition of mediocre all around. He's competent in the ring and can be led to a good match, but you're unlikely to ever want to re-watch a Lashley match.

Now if what you're going for is guys who were extremely limited in the ring and were pushed anyway, the list has to pretty much start with Superst*r Billy Graham and Davey Boy Smith. I am a huge fan of the Superst*r, but damn was he limited once the bell rang.

Davey Boy was competent in the ring, a lot of fun on interviews as he was usually fucked-up out of his mind and you never knew what was going to come out of his mouth. (My favorite has to be "I'm going to win because I'm the British Bulldog, and I'm bizarre! " Yeah, uh, okay...

Yeah, I think both of these guys would fit the definition.

• Like 3

On 9/5/2018 at 8:53 PM, jaedmc said:

Changed my mind. Looking at it now, I was thinking of MOST mediocre.

BEST mediocre is Buzz Sawyer. I fucking love that guy, but he's middle of the pack brawler and personality.

Middle of the pack brawler??? He was an awesome brawler and his promos in GCW were insane. 

My pick would have to be Edge. Cool(to some) look and personality, but I can’t think of any singles match of his that has ever impressed me. 

• Like 2