DVDVR Message Board

Which superhero film/TV are you most looking forward to in 2019?

The Natural

Which superhero film/TV are you most looking forward to in 2019?  

27 members have voted

1. 1. Which superhero film/TV are you most looking forward to in 2019?

• Hellboy (January)
    • X-Men: Dark Phoenix (February)
    • Captain Marvel (March)
    • Shazam! (April)
    • Avengers 4 (May)
    • Gambit (June)
    • Spider-Man: Far From Home (July)
    • The New Mutants (August)
    • Joker (October)
    • Wonder Woman 1984 (November)
    • TV

This is the fourth year I’ve done it here and I don’t know what took me so long to bring it over from smarkschoice. I placed TV in one category as I didn’t want to miss any out by name.

Here’s 2019 (listed by month on release via Wikipedia, I also used Collider):

Hellboy (January)

X-Men: Dark Phoenix (February)

Captain Marvel (March)

Shazam! (April)

Avengers 4 (May)

Gambit (June)

Spider-Man: Far From Home (July)

The New Mutants (August)

Joker (October)

Wonder Woman 1984 (November)

TV

I’ve set a multiple choice vote. I’m expecting Avengers 4 to win this by a mile.

Mine in order as of today, though it might change with posters/trailers/clips:

1. Avengers 4 (May)

2. Spider-Man: Far From Home (July)

3. Captain Marvel (March)

4. Wonder Woman 1984 (November)

5. Shazam! (April)

6. Joker (October)

7. TV

8. Hellboy (January)

9. X-Men: Dark Phoenix (February)

10. The New Mutants (August)

11. Gambit (June)

I am really excited to see Avengers 4 with the fallout to Avengers: Infinity War, I’m curious how to reverse what was done. The method will have to be satisfying and not a disappointment, which goes for the film itself following from Avengers Infinity War.

Spider-Man is my second favourite comic book hero behind Batman so that helps his positioning plus we’ve got the best Peter Parker/Spider-Man yet in Tom Holland. I’m glad Spider-Man is rightfully in the MCU though wish Marvel Studios had sole rights from Sony.

Captain Marvel is out two days before my birthday and we get our first look at the character by Brie Larsen. I like how the film is set in the 1990s’ so only Captain America: The First Avenger (2011) will be older date wise, younger Nick Fury/Phil Coulson and the Skrulls. Didn’t see those coming.

Wonder Woman is one of the few bright spots from the DCEU, her origin film was very good minus the first act. The battle over No Man’s Land and into the occupied town was amazing. Diana Prince returns into 1984, not sure about Steve Trevor coming back.

Speaking of bright spots, Shazam!’s trailer showed something fun in the DCEU and that may help it’s cause. I was pleasantly surprised by the trailer at SDCC 2018.

Joker’s positioning is there because of the character, he’s the best comic book villain there is and what an actor like Joaquin Phoenix can do in the title role. So many great live action Jokers in Cesar Romero, Jack Nicholson and Heath Ledger. Origin stories are a favourite of mine, but a Joker one?

TV is where it is on my list for Agents of Shield Season Six which I watched from the start and more Marvel Netflix. I’ve some Marvel Netflix and others I’ve not.

Hellboy gets a reboot but I’d have preferred to see Hellboy 3 by Guillermo del Toro after the first two by him. Hellboy II: The Golden Army especially. Can’t smile without you for the win!

X-Men: The Dark Phoenix and The New Mutants low placement is because of delays and WOM. It was disappointing that Bryan Singer couldn’t finish the original X-Men trilogy off and what we got instead with X-Men: Dark Phoenix. The New Mutants looks different to other comic book films, I’d think it would help its cause. Will probably wait till DVD release.

Will Gambit ever happen?

I missed the Captain Marvel box and didn't notice till after I voted but I'm yeah I'm looking forward to that also.

Avengers 4 is a must because I want to know how they resolve everything.

New Mutants I have hopes for in being something different than normal superhero fare and hope it's a good representation of the characters. I have no hopes for a movie version of Dark Phoenix. 

And Spider-Man Homecoming was a lot of fun and I hope Far From Home builds off that and we get to see Spidey grow more as a hero

Wonder Woman 1984 I'm bit more iffy about cause DC's movies haven't done much for me lately but Wonder Woman was great so it makes me hopeful that the sequel will be bring the goodness again. I haven't kept up on the news about the it so I don't really know the premise or who the characters are going to be but Wonder Woman has a lot of good things to pull from and it helps having the director back. Jenkins set a good tone and showed an understanding of the character that comic movies sometimes lack.  

• Like 1

You'd think with 9 months left before its release date there'd be SOME kind of shooting pics or something, or casting news.  I feel the same way about the MASTER OF THE UNIVERSE movie that supposedly is coming out in a little over a year.

• Like 1

As long as Carol's movie is good, the rest of this is gravy.

Though I supposed I'd forgotten that she'll be in whatever they're calling Avengers 4, too.

Please don't let Hellboy suck.  Having Neil Marshall directing doesn't give me a ton of hope, and the supporting cast aside from McShane doesn't do many favors, either. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...
On 9/23/2018 at 6:54 PM, The Natural said:

So Joker jumped up three places on my most anticipated 2019 comic book films list after the reveal of Joaquin Phoenix's Joker look.

Joker (2019) is behind only Avengers: Endgame now after the teaser poster and trailer this month.

Edited by The Natural