DVDVR Message Board

Netflix's The Witcher TV Series

TheVileOne

I'm looking forward laughing at the rage from the the army of nerds that will broil with anger when they see this is based on the novels instead of the games and Geralt doesn't get laid ever five minutes.

Well, every news outlet reporting the Ciri casting get it wrong aswell. It was quite clearly stated that the books will be the foundation. I hope it will be better than the Polish small screen adaption. 

Albeit not every five minutes, sex and erotic content was still a big part of the books. Although I thought in a mostly classy way. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, J.T. said:

I'm looking forward laughing at the rage from the the army of nerds that will broil with anger when they see this is based on the novels instead of the games and Geralt doesn't get laid ever five minutes.

The first Witcher book, The Last Wish, literally opens with a priestess boffing him after he's been wounded in a striga fight. Geralt gets more ass in the books than the games because in the games you have the option of turning the sex down every time. 

If anything, it's more like every 2 minutes in the books.  Dude also slept with Renfri the night before slaughtering her entire gang and then killing her. He's worse than James Bond. 

2 hours ago, ReiseReise said:

Well, every news outlet reporting the Ciri casting get it wrong aswell. It was quite clearly stated that the books will be the foundation. I hope it will be better than the Polish small screen adaption. 

Albeit not every five minutes, sex and erotic content was still a big part of the books. Although I thought in a mostly classy way. 

What's all this revisionist history? Geralt in the books is even worse than in the games. Dude's a dog of the worst order. 

I guess the way it's described is less explicit in the books than how it happens in the games. Which is partly also due to the medium. I repeat that I think the sexual content in the books is mostly classy, but I definetly agree with you that it's prominent. With this and the success of GoT in mind I'd say that we are quite likely to get our sex scene every episode. 

• Like 1

Oh, I know that eroticism is center to the novels but the show shouldn't be like the video games where females of all species including magical creatures just lift their skirts for no good reason.

And what Reise said.  There's going to be an obligatory sex scene every episode.  Arguably that particular GoT-ish quality is what helped Netflix make the decision to order the series. 

Same reason they ordered Altered Carbon which is pretty much the cyberpunk equivalent of GoT.

17 hours ago, J.T. said:

Oh, I know that eroticism is center to the novels but the show shouldn't be like the video games where females of all species including magical creatures just lift their skirts for no good reason.

And what Reise said.  There's going to be an obligatory sex scene every episode.  Arguably that particular GoT-ish quality is what helped Netflix make the decision to order the series. 

Same reason they ordered Altered Carbon which is pretty much the cyberpunk equivalent of GoT.

Yeah but that's not what you said. You said you are going to laugh at the nerds who see this isn't like the games and Geralt doesn't get laid every five minutes...when that's pretty much exactly what happens with Geralt in the books. Which I think is fine to have Cavill play the character. Of course almost every women he meets is going to want to bang him. I mean the first book opens up with a priestess schtupping an injured Geralt, a priestess who has taken a vow of silence. 

I mean if the show is even semi-faithful to the books, there's not much danger of that. 

On ‎9‎/‎13‎/‎2018 at 8:46 PM, TheVileOne said:

Yeah but that's not what you said. 

The way it happens in the novels isn't the way it happens in the games.  I didn't think I needed to be that literal.

Geralt doen't just wander around underground catacombs in the books and just say, "Hey, a naked female vampire!  I think I will fuck her and then keep a trading card as a memento of my sexual conquest..."

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, J.T. said:

The way it happens in the novels isn't the way it happens in the games.  I didn't think I needed to be that literal.

Geralt doen't just wander around underground catacombs in the books and just say, "Hey, a naked female vampire!  I think I will fuck her and then keep a trading card as a memento of my sexual conquest..."

That's never what happens in the games either. The characters Geralt does have sex with in the game with seem consistent to what he would do with them in the books if the opportunity presents itself. And you don't even have to have sex with any of them. 

18 hours ago, J.T. said:

I don't play video games and have never read the books, but this is one of the funniest fucking things ever said on this board.

14 hours ago, TheVileOne said:

That's never what happens in the games either. 

I have a shit ton of Romance Cards from Witcher II that says otherwise.

If I had to pick a favorite, it would probably be the Town Clerk.

14 hours ago, TheVileOne said:

The characters Geralt does have sex with in the game with seem consistent to what he would do with them in the books if the opportunity presents itself. And you don't even have to have sex with any of them. 

No one would watch that Let's Play series on YouTube, man.

There are more guides out there on how to collect all of the Romance Cards than there are of how to beat the actual campaign.

As for your other point, yeah.  Choosing which women in the game you are going to sleep with has something of a strategic importance to the storyline of Witcher I and II, but in the end it is all about nerds living vicariously through Geralt's carnal appetites..... in a video game. 

It really is just a sad version of what actually happens in the novels.. 

• Haha 1

Hahah, well I never actually played through the other Witcher games with the romance cards and all that. But did I have Geralt pay the 40 gold to shag those prostitutes in the brothels? You betcha. But I did it for the XP, not the stock footage sex scenes. 

But as much as I wanted Geralt to sleep with Triss, I couldn't bring myself to do it. That Yennefer man. Yes, she is a cold, icy person...but in all the hottest ways. I kind of feel when I'm with Yennefer, shit gets done. And she's nice enough to still comfort Geralt's ego and not be too much of a shrew when it counts. When he returns from all Bald Mountain and Geralt is worried she's going to throw a tantrum,, she's all "Good. I'm glad you went. If you didn't make it, the female portion of the continent would be drowning in its own tears." Well shit girlie, when put it it like that, who the hell is Triss again?

• 1 month later...

Why does Geralt look like a well fed and properly hydrated Elric of Melibone and not in a good way?

So he fucked up and sported a moustache that pretty much destroyed his career as Superman, and here he is clean shaven in a role where he'd probably would look 1000% better with some sort of facial hair.

9 hours ago, J.T. said:

Why does Geralt look like a well fed and properly hydrated Elric of Melibone and not in a good way?

So he fucked up and sported a moustache that pretty much destroyed his career as Superman, and here he is clean shaven in a role where he'd probably would look 1000% better with some sort of facial hair.

Generally in the books, Geralt likes to stay clean shaven. He doesn't like beards. A lot of hysteria over his lack of facial hair, but it's consistent with his character in the books. He doesn't like beards because they irritate him.

• Like 1

On 10/31/2018 at 1:36 PM, J.T. said:

Fuck you, JT! I never knew I wanted Netflix to greenlit an Elric series on par to Game of Thrones. (Just hire the designers from Chronicles of Riddick and they're half way there.)

EDIT: Sam Witwer and James Marsters being cast is a must.

• Like 1

On ‎11‎/‎10‎/‎2018 at 10:05 AM, turk128 said:

Fuck you, JT! I never knew I wanted Netflix to greenlit an Elric series on par to Game of Thrones. (Just hire the designers from Chronicles of Riddick and they're half way there.)

EDIT: Sam Witwer and James Marsters being cast is a must.

Old School John and I have been waiting for large scale productions of Weird of the White Wolf, Bane of the Black Sword, and Stormbringer for nearly forty years.  We probably won't get one before we die.

They needed to make that shit when Julian Sands was still a young dude.

JulianSands-600x350.jpg

The British theatre industry is a production line of whey faced undernourished aristocratic looking dudes. They could cast any of those guys.

• 7 months later...