DVDVR Message Board

RAW IS THE SHIELD IS PURGED - 9/3/2018

Dolfan in NYC

7 minutes ago, Overly Critical Man said:

Why the hell is Kevin Owens helping Braun.

I'm severely disappointed in his story at the moment. Last week he's fired. Now he's back against Lashley, I guess, and maybe that can be explained as being connected to Sami's injury.

Oh, no, wait. He's a random heel job boy in a giant melee. And this on the same show where we were reminded that Shawn Michaels is the only guy this decade who's been a man of his word for more than six weeks.

But I'm sure KO will bring it in for a landing next week with a decent promo. That's probably his biggest virtue. 

12 minutes ago, Niners Fan in CT said:

When did WWE just start announcing matches on social media instead of you know building towards them?   They announced Ronda vs. Nia Jax sorta; I guess you can count their "encounter" at the gala. But it was done in a weird way.  Alexa Bliss and Trish Stratus was announced out of nowhere with no backstory.  Triple H vs. Undertaker was announced out of nowhere.  Lita vs. Mickie James and to my knowledge it's not a rekindling of any real rivalry. I don't remember them having a storied history.  All of this sucks. 

Lita when she retired right after Trish had a 2 month feud with Mickie that ended with her retirement at Survivor Series dropping the title to Mickie then Cryme Time selling her things from her locker room at ringside right after. 

1 minute ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

Big difference when you have a 3 hour show every Monday and can build to future matches, though.

A fair point and they're damn good at pissing TV time away. 

But I took it the way it was written on a long weekend where many people were more than willing to accept an event with a shoddy, social-media-heavy build. And I stand by my misplaced jab. :P 

1 minute ago, Hail Sabin said:

Lita when she retired right after Trish had a 2 month feud with Mickie that ended with her retirement at Survivor Series dropping the title to Mickie then Cryme Time selling her things from her locker room at ringside right after. 

This is when they were cracking jokes about her being a slut?  I'll be interested to see if that shows up on the hype video. 

1 minute ago, West Newbury Bad Boy said:

Two minutes in a tag match in Reseda a year ago isn't "build."

If I missed anything noteworthy beyond that, I'll be sure to hold it as a mark against them as promoters. 

Yes,  even Hangman vs. Janella had build. Of course I'm not expecting everyone to have seen all of this stuff but it's more so than "Hey everyone..  I'm Mike Rome.. "

• Like 2

Oh yeah of all the ways to handle KO quitting. They could have shot scenes of him at home with his kids. Disillusioned with wrestling. Lacking any kind of self-confidence. Showing signs of vulnerability hiding behind the over the top personality we've grown to know him for. What do we get? no real explanation as to why he decided to leave. What's his motive for randomly attacking Lashley? is he just going to be a loose cannon and attack random dudes until Cena shows up and destroys him? Yeah, probably. What a waste of some genuine buzz and storytelling. This company fucking sucks 

• Like 7

I only made it about half way in to the show tonight before I gave up. It was just too damn muggy in my living room to sit and be annoyed by a show with no direction. This whole Braun as the bad guy and teaming up with Ziggler and Drew is just so dumb on so many levels.  If they wanted to have Drew or Dolph chase Roman for the title, fine. They could have done that and saved Braun for Survivor Series. 

Tonight must have been throw a dart at the board night. Bobby Roode and Chad Gable a tag team for no reason other than "hey, you two...what are you doing". 

If AOP needed a manager, you know Paul Heyman was right there. They could have been his new SST. 

The only thing I liked is for a brief second I thought maybe they would be setting up to Elias invading the Evolution PPV and maybe he has an intergender match with someone. But I doubt they would think that far ahead.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Niners Fan in CT said:

This is when they were cracking jokes about her being a slut?  I'll be interested to see if that shows up on the hype video. 

Yes, the last thing they had to sell was an empty cardboard box, Lita's box.

5 minutes ago, Rick said:

Oh yeah of all the ways to handle KO quitting. They could have shot scenes of him at home with his kids. Disillusioned with wrestling. Lacking any kind of self-confidence. Showing signs of vulnerability hiding behind the over the top personality we've grown to know him for. What do we get? no real explanation as to why he decided to leave. What's his motive for randomly attacking Lashley? is he just going to be a loose cannon and attack random dudes until Cena shows up and destroys him? Yeah, probably. What a waste of some genuine buzz and storytelling. This company fucking sucks 

Owens blames Lashley for Sami's injury.

5 minutes ago, Eivion said:

Owens blames Lashley for Sami's injury.

There's still no correlation between Owens quitting due to being mistreated and getting his ass kicked week in week out, to wanting to avenge Sami. They're not mutually exclusive. If that's Owens motivation, then it's retarded booking. So yeah you're probably right. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Rick said:

There's still no correlation between Owens quitting due to being mistreated and getting his ass kicked week in week out, to wanting to avenge Sami. They're not mutually exclusive. If that's Owens motivation, then it's retarded booking. So yeah you're probably right. 

I was just explaining his reason for attacking Lashley. Owens did blame part of his troubles on Sami being hurt.

• Like 1

The one thing I will give in Raw's favor is that today felt like they finally looked at the Raw tag division and realized that it was broken to hell and had to do something.  There is pretty much no team in the actual division that is particularly over or seen as a threat.  AoP was on the way to that but really haven't caught on to any degree, B Team is over more as a goofy duo than anything else.  This is the perfect time to put the belts on Dolph and Drew and let the main eventers play with them for a number of months while the division tries to right the ship.  AoP got a mouthpiece and hopefully dropped their ill-fitting finish, setting them up for a re-heating.  Gable gets a chance in the division with an established (if initially confusing) partner.  Revival can continue to be rebuilt (they were no where near ready to be champs).  It doesn't fix everything but it at least points to a problem being addressed, a problem that won't be fixed overnight but hopefully with time can be helped.  If not... only several months until the next draft.

That first botched dive wasn't Brie's fault because Logan was supposed to cut her off, but that second one was almost a Sasha Banks special. Alexa's promo was aces even if I'm tired of seeing her get a lion's share of TV time for the women. The opening and closing segments were wonderfully chaotic(Gulak being part of the beatdown caught me by surprise, hahaha) and I wonder if we're gonna see the Shield picking off the help before facing down Braun and Co.

11 minutes ago, West Newbury Bad Boy said:

So you danced past the specific example I posed VERY quickly.

What are you talking about?  I'm not going to run through everything that was done to build up ALL IN.  If you are interested in it then seek it out. There was nothing done to build up Taker/HHH or Trish/Alexa outside of "Hey everyone..  I'm Cathy Kelly with a WWE.com exclusive.."  

That was a fairly horrific episode.

That Brie botch was pretty awful, how embarassing.

Lashley is really trying to get over MY MAN! as a catch phrase apparently.

That ending sure was something. In addition to being a liar, a thief, a woman abuser, law enforcement assaulter, federal inmate escapee, we can now add car thief to Roman's resume.

• Like 3