DVDVR Message Board

2018 NFL: WEEK ONE

Dolfan in NYC

Honestly, considering that everyone expected the Bears to get their asses handed to them on a platter, and that Rodgers usually mops the floor with them when he plays at home, this was a huge step in the right direction.  No, it wasn't perfect, I still can't beleive Nagy didn't have Howard or Cohen run the ball on that 3rd and 1, and I'm sure Kyle Fuller is the most hated man in Chicago for dropping the pick that would have most likely sealed the win.  But, the defense has made huge strides, and Mack and Smith will be used more regularly. Mitch wasn't too shabby either. 

• Like 2

For sure. Watching the FUTILITY of the last few years and then watching Smith and Mack finally get together for the first time and eat everyone's lunch was inspiring. A few years ago we'd go well into the 3rd quarter without even getting a 1st down. Last night we scored on our first two drives. 

I just want the games to be fun again. They haven't been fun for several years. Last night felt fun.

• Like 1

I know all the platitudes about league adjustments are basically true, 14-25 isn't incredible, and two of his four touchdowns were shovel passes inside the five--but I've spent half the morning at work watching Mahomes gifs and frame-by-frame breakdown of his better throws, and I'm willing to dream the franchise quarterback dream. (I will wake up from this dream when they blow a massive lead in the playoffs, of course. But for now...)

1 hour ago, jaedmc said:

For sure. Watching the FUTILITY of the last few years and then watching Smith and Mack finally get together for the first time and eat everyone's lunch was inspiring. A few years ago we'd go well into the 3rd quarter without even getting a 1st down. Last night we scored on our first two drives. 

I just want the games to be fun again. They haven't been fun for several years. Last night felt fun.

Yes, this is what I want in a nutshell. I barely even watched Bears games because they were anything from torturous to extremely boring. I mean, compare this to the shithole that was the Trestman era. That first half was unlike any Bears team I've seen in a long time, while the second half was about what I expected from the Bears. If we could get more of that first half throughout the rest of the season, holy crap.

Now, the caveat to all of this is that the Packers D ain't exactly world beaters, right? And the Bears couldn't really get much going against them in the second half.

What makes all of this even weirder is that the Colts also didn't look totally inept. So for the first time in years both of my favorite teams put forward something watchable. I just hope everyone on both of my teams stays healthy.

56 minutes ago, Beech27 said:

I know all the platitudes about league adjustments are basically true, 14-25 isn't incredible, and two of his four touchdowns were shovel passes inside the five--but I've spent half the morning at work watching Mahomes gifs and frame-by-frame breakdown of his better throws, and I'm willing to dream the franchise quarterback dream. (I will wake up from this dream when they blow a massive lead in the playoffs, of course. But for now...)

Does anyone remember that one Randall Cunningham year in Minnesota, where every pass he through felt like it could be a touchdown?  That's what watching Mahomes felt like yesterday.  

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Dolfan in NYC said:

BTW, did Mahomes only yesterday break that ridiculous streak the Chiefs had, where they didn't have a TD pass by a QB they drafted since 1987 or something?  

He was their first drafted quarterback to win a game (last year at Denver, in which neither team played all its starters, so maybe it shouldn't quite count) since Todd Blackledge. Brodie Croyle, I think, was their last drafted QB to throw a touchdown, but his record was 0-10.

• Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, supremebve said:

Does anyone remember that one Randall Cunningham year in Minnesota, where every pass he through felt like it could be a touchdown?  That's what watching Mahomes felt like yesterday.  

Moss, Carter and Reed were, for at least that one year, the greatest receiver group in NFL history, and Cunningham was absolutely on fire until Atlanta started hitting him. I'm not sure I'm ready to put KC in that class just yet.

22 minutes ago, Brian Fowler said:

Moss, Carter and Reed were, for at least that one year, the greatest receiver group in NFL history, and Cunningham was absolutely on fire until Atlanta started hitting him. I'm not sure I'm ready to put KC in that class just yet.

I just remember Cunningham winding up and just launching passes downfield like he was trying to see if he could possibly overthrow Moss and Moss ran down all of them.

1 hour ago, Craig H said:

Yes, this is what I want in a nutshell. I barely even watched Bears games because they were anything from torturous to extremely boring. I mean, compare this to the shithole that was the Trestman era. That first half was unlike any Bears team I've seen in a long time, while the second half was about what I expected from the Bears. If we could get more of that first half throughout the rest of the season, holy crap.

Now, the caveat to all of this is that the Packers D ain't exactly world beaters, right? And the Bears couldn't really get much going against them in the second half.

What makes all of this even weirder is that the Colts also didn't look totally inept. So for the first time in years both of my favorite teams put forward something watchable. I just hope everyone on both of my teams stays healthy.

Straight from the mouth of Eddie Jackson, they got lazy in the second half.  Hopefully this will cure of them of that disease. 

20 minutes ago, Kuetsar said:

Hey I know its only week one, but I already know what the Bills NFL yearbook is going to be titled: 2018 Buffalo Bills: There is a reason you don't eat $50 million on a cap in one year". . . .

Gotta pay Jack Eichel SOMEHOW.

23 minutes ago, RonL21 said:

This would have been something

Jimmy G, Russell Wilson and Sam Bradford are very very thankful Oakland said no. How the fuck would you block Donald, Mack and Suh at the same time?