DVDVR Message Board

[TV] SEPTEMBER 2018 DISCUSSION

Dolfan in NYC

On 9/23/2018 at 8:16 AM, driver said:

Watched Forever straight through. Great show, especially episode 6.

I'm 3 episodes deep, and it definitely goes some unexpected places very quickly. Although, I will say that Armisen is not great trying to play a fairly normal and bland character here.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, brocklock said:

Season 2 is my favorite one with Mags Bennett and her boys. Just great television. Is Drew Thompson Season 4? That was a great season as well. The first season was iffy for a little bit after the great pilot, but finished strong. The only season I'm eh on is the Michael Rapaport one.

Yeah, season 5 was awful and that was down to Rappaport and his dodgy accent.

I have no idea why, but I'm rather looking forward to the Magnum P.I. pilot tonight.  I haven't read any reviews and the trailers haven't done much to convince me the show will be good, but, for some inexplicable reason, it's the new show I'm most interested in at the moment.  I'm not a nostalgia buff either, and don't really have any sort of attachment to the original show.

So, yeah, I'm re-watching The Sopranos from the beginning again because why not, eh? I hadn't watched it in maybe 10 years but, man, after finishing the first series last night, 20 or so years since it first aired (and now we feel old as fuck), it holds up so fucking well. It's still one of the best first series I've ever seen; you forget just how many of the best lines and scenes are in those first 13 episodes. 

And, good God, it bears repeating...Nancy F'n Marchand. She is hysterical and deplorable and the best and the worst. Junior and Livia are one of TV's most underrated double acts in all their horrible, horrible, hilarious glory. She stirs the shit and manipulates Junior into putting a hit out on her own friggin' son without actually explicitly saying it and then immediately fakes a bout of dementia when the hit goes wrong. She threatened to stab her own children in their sleep when they were young. She is truly history's greatest mother.

• Like 1

Hate to say it, but she died at the perfect time. Her story had kind of ran its course and having to kill her off put such a great big fork in the road for all the main characters. They basically had to introduce another big bad in response and came up with Richie. What was the original plan for her, anyway? Was she gonna rat out Tony?

20 minutes ago, West Newbury Bad Boy said:

"Cunnilingus and psychiatry brought us to this!"

The greatest arrangement of words in the history of television. Possibly in the history of the world. 

Oh, Jesus, fuck yes, I legit laughed for about 4 days straight at that line.

♪South of the border, down Mexico way. South of the border, where the tuna fish play♪

• Like 3

Based on the clips and stills I'd seen of Trailer Park Boys I always thought it looked stupid (for some reason I was under the impression it was a spinoff of Jackass?) and never bothered with it, plus most of the people I knew who were fans had pretty questionable tastes. Last week I finally decided to give it and am glad to be mistaken as this show is really funny. I'm halfway through season 3 now, does it stay solid for the duration?

• Like 1

On 9/23/2018 at 4:30 PM, Craig H said:

Given how crummy and boring Mayans is, I don't have any faith in an SOA prequel being good.

Yeah, but that's because it's the Mayans. Nobody gives a fuck about the Mayans. I binged Sons of Anarchy all the way through in just a little over a week and a half, and not once did I ever want to see more of the Mayans.

A lady I work with (who convinced me to watch the show - only took me a year to cave) tells me that besides the First 9 prequel, they're supposedly planning a sequel set in the future with Abel and Thomas as SOA members?

16 hours ago, Chaos said:

I'm 3 episodes deep, and it definitely goes some unexpected places very quickly. Although, I will say that Armisen is not great trying to play a fairly normal and bland character here.

3 episodes in as well, don’t know if I’ll go any further though. Armisens character really grates me, and the “kid” they introduced in ep3 even more so.

Bull was really good last night.  Didn't expect that.  I thought season 1 was average, or maybe even a bit below.  Only watched a couple eps last season.  Last night was really, unexpectedly entertaining with Bull  working for an insurance company instead of his usual underdog client.  Some good character stuff.  i really like the cast.  I don't want to get my hopes too high, but I'm in for at least a while this season.

And..... I made it through about 15 min of Magnum this morning before deciding I had better things to do and I Magnum can wait.  Didn't watch enough to fairly judge the show but the setup seemed very by the numbers.  I dunno.  His reaction to (conveniently) driving up just in time to see one of his best friends being kidnapped seemed kinda muted, and the dude in question had about two lines before he was drug off, so I don't really see any reason to care too heavily. Nothing in the opening minutes gave the impression the writing is going to be particularly good and Jay Hernandez seems more suited to take over in Burn Notice 2 than to fill the shoes of Tom Selleck.

Also, the preview for next week shows Magnum driving a black ferrari.  Hold my beer.  It's time for some NERD RAGE.

2 hours ago, Casey said:

A lady I work with (who convinced me to watch the show - only took me a year to cave) tells me that besides the First 9 prequel, they're supposedly planning a sequel set in the future with Abel and Thomas as SOA members?

How far in the future?  Is it going to be a sci-fi motorcycle gang tv show?  I think I'd actually watch that.

As far as I know there's no plans for a future SOA series.

I'm also not sure what the ratings are even like for Mayans, but if it's anything like the Bastard Executioner, then Sutter's career path my wind up similar to Shawn Ryan's where Ryan did Terriers (fantastic, but the worst promoted show in history), moved on to network series like the Unit and that incredibly vanilla Shield-lite show on Fox about Chicago cops, before trying his hand at a series on Amazon (Mad Dogs, which was good, but cancelled after one season).

Of the two, I'd much rather see what Shawn Ryan has for us than what Sutter has. Sutter's just a crummy edge lord who tries to shoehorn his wife into everything he does and thinks his material is way above the heads of his audience.

30 minutes ago, Craig H said:

Sutter's just a crummy edge lord who tries to shoehorn his wife into everything he does and thinks his material is way above the heads of his audience.

I always wondered why the better title for the show was Sagals of Anarchy (because it was her whole fucking family); of course it was this.

The best thing about only recently watching the first series of Get Shorty is I didn't have to wait long for the second series. God damn I love the everliving shit out of this show. 

Chris O'Dowd remains my man crush, I love him almost as much as Amara loves (well...loved, I guess?) her little Ricky. 

It's up there with Barry, Killing Eve and the second series of Atlanta as the best show I've watched this year.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, HumanChessgame said:

I'm halfway through season 3 now, does it stay solid for the duration?

It just started getting really good on season 3, so you're in for a treat. Personally I never tired of it. Missed a couple of seasons though, and unsure how they've fared moving on without Lahey and J-Roc.

The movies are great too, particularly Countdown to Liquor Day

EDIT: Apparently they've been on hiatus since Dunsworth died, which I did not know

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, Technico Support said:

Cosby's going to jail, dudes.

Live by the filth flarn flarn filth, die by the filth flarn flarn filth

I was thinking about getting a haircut tonight, but my barber thinks that Bill Cosby is innocent and I don't need that in my life today.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, Fuzzy Dunlop said:

The best thing about only recently watching the first series of Get Shorty is I didn't have to wait long for the second series. God damn I love the everliving shit out of this show. 

Chris O'Dowd remains my man crush, I love him almost as much as Amara loves (well...loved, I guess?) her little Ricky. 

It's up there with Barry, Killing Eve and the second series of Atlanta as the best show I've watched this year.

Agree on every part of this except Barry, I watched two episodes and couldn’t get into it.