DVDVR Message Board

[TV] SEPTEMBER 2018 DISCUSSION

Dolfan in NYC

2 hours ago, J.T. said:

Oh you know what I mean, Fowler.

I hate it when geeks start splitting hairs.

Jeez man it was a joke.

More seriously I figure a lot more people will see it here, and we don't really have any confirmation the two shows are in the same universe or anything.

12 minutes ago, Brian Fowler said:

Jeez man it was a joke.

I typed that in the middle of the night while working graveyard duty.  I was tired and forgot to put in the smiley face.

We're all good, man.

You sound crankier than I do. :)

You may need sleep more than me right now.

God damn, the first two episodes of this season's Always Sunny are so great. Pretty much everything about the premier was perfect, from the self-destructive tendencies just the idea of Dennis instills in everybody, to playing off both sides of the political debate being the perfect scheme for this group when not led by an insane person, to the sex doll itself... Holy shit. Some of the best stuff they've ever done. And with Glenn Howerton's full return and Dennis going even more psychotic, it really does remind me how sad it is that Howerton didn't get the Ted Bundy role. That man was made for that role from his appearance to his mannerisms. 

• Like 3

10 hours ago, Oyaji said:

God damn, the first two episodes of this season's Always Sunny are so great. Pretty much everything about the premier was perfect, from the self-destructive tendencies just the idea of Dennis instills in everybody, to playing off both sides of the political debate being the perfect scheme for this group when not led by an insane person, to the sex doll itself... Holy shit. Some of the best stuff they've ever done. And with Glenn Howerton's full return and Dennis going even more psychotic, it really does remind me how sad it is that Howerton didn't get the Ted Bundy role. That man was made for that role from his appearance to his mannerisms. 

I rewatched each episode and wound up liking each way more than I did the first time. There's so much little shit you miss and Dennis returning at the end of episode one got me throwing my arms up in the air in excitement. The end of the second episode was one of those rare feel good IASIP moments.

IASIP is like such a well worn and comfy blanket. I watch it when I'm bummed out and I almost always feel good watching it.

• Like 1

On 9/15/2018 at 5:26 PM, brocklock said:

This was filmed after The Mick got cancelled. Kaitlin had some salty instagram stories about The Mick getting cancelled while she was on set. I got that vibe with Charlie, but not with Kaitlin. I thought Dee got some of the biggest laughs from the episode for me. Her in Dennis' room was funny, as was her being annoyingly excited to prove herself to the guys before getting locked in Dennis' room, but the guys stuff kind of dragged. The summit scene went on way too long and reminded me of a less funny version of the guys explaining democracy in Sweet Dee Gets Audited. The end picture was weirdly sweet and I thought Kaitlin did a good job at expressing Dee's emotions at finally getting a small victory. Glenn seemed like he never left, but I'm probably the only Sunny fan that's kind of tired of Dennis being crazy. There used to be a subtlety to it that I loved and it would get mentioned maybe two or three times a season, but around season 9 or 10 they dropped it and really hammered it home almost every episode.

Also, it's admirable the type of shape Rob got himself in, but I don't really find Jacked Mac that funny so far.

I liked it better than last week, but I think the show's at a point where there's usually only like 3 or 4 great episodes per season and the rest border on fine to mediocre. I'll keep watching cause I love the cast, but I've felt that way from season 10 on.

Dennis went thru a full story arc the last two seasons of having his ego torn down and being rebuilt. Hopefully we learn what happened in North Dakota.

I did not know the context with Kaitlin Olsen during filming. Everything else comes together. 

My friend said he thought the gang was acting way too stupid. But I think that could come down to three of them having undergone big life changes. Dennis had a kid, Charlie is with the waitress and Mac is gay. Which might explain them acting worse than usual. I thought Frank was going to shoot the lock off. 

That said, my favorite part was Dennis anger at Dee escaping his room. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Victator said:

Dennis went thru a full story arc the last two seasons of having his ego torn down and being rebuilt. Hopefully we learn what happened in North Dakota.

I did not know the context with Kaitlin Olsen during filming. Everything else comes together. 

My friend said he thought the gang was acting way too stupid. But I think that could come down to three of them having undergone big life changes. Dennis had a kid, Charlie is with the waitress and Mac is gay. Which might explain them acting worse than usual. I thought Frank was going to shoot the lock off. 

That said, my favorite part was Dennis anger at Dee escaping his room. 

I don't know, to me the first half to two thirds of the episode reminded me of "The Gang Dines Out" where Dennis and Frank expected the other to pay tribute to them and kept trying to one up each other and assert their dominance.  You even had Dee there in the same location but completely out of the minds/view of the rest of the gang and her trying to get someone else(the waiter, the customer at Gugino's, the girl from the escape room) to help her.  Even the ending was similar, as Dee was the one that tied the waiter's shoelaces together that made him dump spaghetti on himself that they all thought was hilarious and kind of saved the day, just like her falling off the ledge got them out of the room and they "won" the game.

• Like 1

So, I'm real late to the game on this one, but also right on time. Not that long ago when my daughter and I were bored, I suggested we watch an episode of Adventure Time. Then that became another and another. We were hooked. At the same time, she was really into Steven Universe and Teen Titans Go and other shit. Eventually, kind of out of nowhere, she started watching Adventure Time again. She watched every episode and was totally hooked. I tried to keep up, but what surprised me the most was how much she paid attention to all the little story details and threads from the series.

So anyway, she powered through the whole series to the point where she made it to the series finale from a couple weeks ago. We watched half of it last night and half of it this morning. I'm completely wrecked. Every time I think of it I just get very weepy. There is such an optimistic heart to the series that it's hard to not fall in love with it. It's a series that contained some of the most imaginative and thoughtful stories I've ever seen and music that just cuts really deep.

There's a common thought that kids now have a bunch of crap to watch and we all had it way better. That couldn't be more wrong. Between Adventure Time, Gravity Falls, Steven Universe, Teen Titans Go, and so many more, kids today don't know how good they have it. While we adults get to experience what is basically a golden age of TV, children also get to experience the same thing. I think you can attribute that to the fact that many of these shows are run by people like us who have the same taste and fondness for not just irreverence, but movies and tv shows with heart.

Anyway, I'm glad I got to experience Adventure Time with my daughter. I'm sad it's now gone, but somewhat hopeful that it will live on in comic book form.

For shows-like-that our tolerance level with the 6 year old is Star vs the Forces of Evil but that's about it. We watched a couple of episodes of Steven Universe just so I could get a sense of what the hell the thing was because the internet doesn't shut up about it, but a little bit of that vaguely surrealist Ren and Stimpy meets Cartoon Cartoon meets anime art design and over the top sugar-rush storytelling (underpinned by actual character development, sure) goes a long way. 

I really love many of the themes in Steven Universe and when my daughter started watching it, she may have been 6 or 7 and it sparked questions in her about a girl loving another girl or a boy changing into a girl and stuff like that, which was pretty cool.

Yeah, I thought that was the best one of the three aired by far. Dee was awesome in anchoring the episode and had so many hilarious moments. Kaitlin is super underrated at switching from the straight woman to insane in an instant. Drunk Waitress was also hilarious and probably the most amount of funny scenes Mary Elizabeth Ellis has gotten in the show. The rest of the ladies were great as well and they did a great job of taking the piss out of female reboots while simultaneously doing a really funny reboot with a lot of fantastic female performances.

• Like 4