DVDVR Message Board

[TV] SEPTEMBER 2018 DISCUSSION

Dolfan in NYC

2 hours ago, peterien said:

Season 2 of Sons is up there with the best seasons of TV for me. Anything after the middle of season 3 doesn’t exist in my TV universe. 

This is pretty much my exact opinion.  The show was legitimately great for two and a half seasons, and then it became very clear that he had no idea where to go from there.  That should have been a show with a great 3 season run, but they just stretched it out until there was no creativity left.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, peterien said:

Season 2 of Sons is up there with the best seasons of TV for me. Anything after the middle of season 3 doesn’t exist in my TV universe. 

This is pretty much my exact opinion.  The show was legitimately great for two and a half seasons, and then it became very clear that he had no idea where to go from there.  That should have been a show with a great 3 season run, but they just stretched it out until there was no creativity left.

22 hours ago, Curt McGirt said:

Mayans is what's already in my crosshairs. I wanted a show about bikers and instead I'm getting yet another melodrama about drug dealers. I want SOA part 2, not a fresh season of Queen of the South.

Never really watched SoA, but left this on in the background last week. When the guy from the Street Fighter movie got his arm chopped off with an axe with one blow and SyFy channel effects took place, I chuckled pretty hard. Pretty funny bad television is the best.

• Like 1

I just binged Season 2 of The Good Place after it appeared on Netflix. Is there discussion of it elsewhere on here? 

What an amazing, amazing TV show. It is baffling that a show that will openly discuss Kierkegaard can also be sublimely and insanely funny. And it had a really gripping narrative driven by a unique internal logic. And is also visually mesmerizing, too.

Spectacular show.

• Like 1

Homecoming

Amazon rolling out some big guns on this one

Heidi Bergman is a caseworker at the Homecoming Transitional Support Center, a Geist Group facility helping soldiers transition back to civilian life. Walter Cruz (Stephan James) is one of these soldiers, eager to begin the next phase of his life. Overseeing Heidi and the facility is Colin Belfast (Bobby Cannavale), an ambitious company man whose manic demands point to questionable motives.

Four years later, Heidi has started a new life, living with her mother (Sissy Spacek) and working as a small-town waitress, when a Department of Defense auditor (Shea Whigham) comes to her with questions about why she left the Homecoming facility. Heidi begins to realize that there’s a whole other story behind the story she’s been telling herself.

Julia Roberts stars in the series alongside Jeremy Allen White, Alex Karpovsky, Dermot Mulroney, Hong Chau, and Sydney Poitier co-star in the series, with Marianne Jean-Baptiste, Brooke Bloom, Ayden Mayeri and Jacob Pitts recurring.

I'm way too bothered with the fact that there's no way all those candles would have blown out like that ...

Just finished Season 2 of Ozark and I'll just echo that it was really good.  I thought it dragged a bit the first half of the season but really got going towards the end.  I would watch the shit out of a Langmore's spin-off series.  

• Like 1

On 9/12/2018 at 2:22 PM, Betsy Zeidler said:

Am now imagining said executioner going through birth records to confirm that person in question is missing a parent.

Might be a compelling mini-series of an heir to the throne going around killing off half siblings to ensure their ascent to the throne.

Grandson Of Sam

On 9/7/2018 at 1:20 AM, Victator said:

I think everybody who wanted to watch Sunny has. 

Hide contents

As I said earlier, they really played with our expectations in the advertising. Which featured Mindy Kaling heavily. Giving the impression she would be the female voice of reason trope. Which Sunny has always rejected, by making Dee as big a degenerate as any of the gang. The first swerve is Cindy is a scumbag herswelf, scheming to use political unrest to take down Paddies rival bar. But Dennis presence is being felt in the form of a sex doll Mac bought. The gang have a toxic codependent relationship with their departed leader. Each thinking Dennis is speaking to them thru the sex doll. Which naturally leads to the guys seemingly having an orgy with the sex doll.

The biggest shock is Dennis actually appears at the end. Sending Kaling away, though I get the feeling she will be back. I thought she did a good job leaving her comfort zone, playing a character as far from Kelly Kapour as she could get. I'm excited to see where this season goes. 

That first ep. was excellent. I'm curious to see if Dennis comes back full time or if it was just a one off deal for that ep. (I still haven't seen the ep. from this week).

Mac's physique... Yikes!

This weeks episode was interesting. 

Dennis was around as if he never left. I do get the impression that Charlie Day and Kaitlin Olsen are ready to go. Though when this was being filmed, Olsen was also on the MIck, so she probably was frayed at the edges.

It was not a bad episode, I laughed a lot. But it felt like a lower end episode. 

4 hours ago, Victator said:

Dennis was around as if he never left. I do get the impression that Charlie Day and Kaitlin Olsen are ready to go. Though when this was being filmed, Olsen was also on the MIck, so she probably was frayed at the edges.

It was not a bad episode, I laughed a lot. But it felt like a lower end episode. 

I thought it kinda sucked. It had some brilliant moments, but overall it was underwhelming. The ep. I'm really looking forward to is the one they showed bits on in trailer which seems like a Seinfeld tribute with Charlie playing Kramer.

On 9/14/2018 at 3:26 PM, Victator said:

This was filmed after The Mick got cancelled. Kaitlin had some salty instagram stories about The Mick getting cancelled while she was on set. I got that vibe with Charlie, but not with Kaitlin. I thought Dee got some of the biggest laughs from the episode for me. Her in Dennis' room was funny, as was her being annoyingly excited to prove herself to the guys before getting locked in Dennis' room, but the guys stuff kind of dragged. The summit scene went on way too long and reminded me of a less funny version of the guys explaining democracy in Sweet Dee Gets Audited. The end picture was weirdly sweet and I thought Kaitlin did a good job at expressing Dee's emotions at finally getting a small victory. Glenn seemed like he never left, but I'm probably the only Sunny fan that's kind of tired of Dennis being crazy. There used to be a subtlety to it that I loved and it would get mentioned maybe two or three times a season, but around season 9 or 10 they dropped it and really hammered it home almost every episode.

Also, it's admirable the type of shape Rob got himself in, but I don't really find Jacked Mac that funny so far.

I liked it better than last week, but I think the show's at a point where there's usually only like 3 or 4 great episodes per season and the rest border on fine to mediocre. I'll keep watching cause I love the cast, but I've felt that way from season 10 on.

• Like 1

I'm two episodes into S3 of Sons of Anarchy... I get that a lot of people think this was a good show for 2-3 1/2 seasons, but all I really need to know is if the later seasons turn into the back half run of Dexter or not. Like, if shit just goes completely off the rails eventually and I'll end up hate watching.