DVDVR Message Board

[TV] SEPTEMBER 2018 DISCUSSION

Dolfan in NYC

I think everybody who wanted to watch Sunny has. 

Spoiler

As I said earlier, they really played with our expectations in the advertising. Which featured Mindy Kaling heavily. Giving the impression she would be the female voice of reason trope. Which Sunny has always rejected, by making Dee as big a degenerate as any of the gang. The first swerve is Cindy is a scumbag herswelf, scheming to use political unrest to take down Paddies rival bar. But Dennis presence is being felt in the form of a sex doll Mac bought. The gang have a toxic codependent relationship with their departed leader. Each thinking Dennis is speaking to them thru the sex doll. Which naturally leads to the guys seemingly having an orgy with the sex doll.

The biggest shock is Dennis actually appears at the end. Sending Kaling away, though I get the feeling she will be back. I thought she did a good job leaving her comfort zone, playing a character as far from Kelly Kapour as she could get. I'm excited to see where this season goes. 

• Like 2

On ‎9‎/‎5‎/‎2018 at 9:05 PM, Dolfan in NYC said:

Also, Roy Moore is suing Sasha Baron Cohen for $95M for defamation for his appearance in This Is America.

lol

It's not defamation if it's true. Moore is - in essence - challenging  them to find someone willing to testify as to what he's like. Probably not the wisest move.

Shameless is as ridiculous and funny as ever even after missing probably two whole seasons of it. 

Kidding, meanwhile, is as creepy as Jim Carrey's world really probably is. He seems to be going for Tiny Tim meets Mr. Rogers but it's transparent that he's making an analogy for his own fucked up life. The Gallagher family seem reasonable in contrast.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Curt McGirt said:

Shameless is as ridiculous and funny as ever even after missing probably two whole seasons of it. 

Kidding, meanwhile, is as creepy as Jim Carrey's world really probably is. He seems to be going for Tiny Tim meets Mr. Rogers but it's transparent that he's making an analogy for his own fucked up life. The Gallagher family seem reasonable in contrast.

After watching the Jim & Andy documentary I took a complete 180 on Carrey and can’t watch anything he’s in now.

7 hours ago, peterien said:

After watching the Jim & Andy documentary I took a complete 180 on Carrey and can’t watch anything he’s in now.

I had suspected he was a nut before, but that confirmed it. He is a guy who would either be a rich famous actor or a serial killer. There iss a middle ground.

Didn't even know what that movie was so I looked it up. This is how bad Cage was on set. From Kathleen Turner's autobio: 

"He caused so many problems. He was arrested twice for drunk-driving and, I think, once for stealing a dog. He’d come across a chihuahua he liked and stuck it in his jacket.

On the last night of filming, he came into my trailer after he’d clearly been drinking heavily. He fell on his knees and asked if I could ever forgive him. I said, “Not right now. I have a scene to shoot. Excuse me,” and just walked out. Nicolas didn’t manage to kill the film, but he didn’t add a lot to it, either. For years, whenever I saw him, he’d apologise for his behaviour. I’d say: “Look, I’m way over it.” But I haven’t pursued the idea of working with him again."[4]

He sued her for defamation over that and won, she had to apologize and the publisher had to say she was lying. Yeah she wasn't lying

• Like 1

American Gods season two update:

• Production is six weeks behind schedule and on a forced hiatus
  • Executives at Starz and Fremantle have rejected multiple season finale scripts, and the episode is said to be on its seventh draft
  • Jesse Alexander, who replaced Bryan Fuller, has essentially been canned, but the studio feels that actually firing him would bring too much negative attention to an already troubled production

Sounds good.

12 hours ago, RolandTHTG said:

Really struggling with Ballers and Better Call Saul this year.

Difference being that while Ballers gets relegated to "show I put on in the background while I'm about to fall asleep 5 minutes into", Better Call Saul has the cast members you give a shit about even if they're not up to anything particularly interesting.

I still think BCS is one of the better shows on TV, but Ballers has somehow become even worse. And yet, I still find myself watching it. I have no idea why. I know that nothing bad will happen to any of these characters and the only character progression anyone makes is that Spencer's outfits get more and more ridiculous.

I gave up on Entourage about halfway through, but Ballers feels like everything I read about why Entourage kinda sucked but everyone kept watching anyway.

12 minutes ago, Curt McGirt said:

Forgot to mention, starting to recycle plotlines from a former series starting on the SECOND EPISODE of a new one is pretty sad, Mr. Sutter

If you watched all of SOA, and thought to yourself, "I can't wait to see what Kurt Sutter does next, he seems full of ideas," you are the problem not him.  

• Like 6

15 minutes ago, supremebve said:

If you watched all of SOA, and thought to yourself, "I can't wait to see what Kurt Sutter does next, he seems full of ideas," you are the problem not him.  

So you're just going to forget about The Bastard Executioner?

That's good because I'm pretty sure everyone else did, too.

43 minutes ago, Zimbra said:

So you're just going to forget about The Bastard Executioner?

That's good because I'm pretty sure everyone else did, too.

I 100% forgot about The Bastard Executioner.  I can't even lie, I was really looking forward to that show, and I haven't even thought about it after the 3rd episode.  

Am now imagining said executioner going through birth records to confirm that person in question is missing a parent.

Might be a compelling mini-series of an heir to the throne going around killing off half siblings to ensure their ascent to the throne.

• Like 1