DVDVR Message Board

[TV] SEPTEMBER 2018 DISCUSSION

Dolfan in NYC

15 minutes ago, supremebve said:

Did anyone watch Jack Reacher?  That shit was actually pretty dope.  I didn't think that Jim from The Office and Bunk from The Wire would be good CIA agents, but I was wrong.  I knocked the whole season out on Sunday.

Umm... I am assuming you mean Jack Ryan....

Just now, RIPPA said:

Umm... I am assuming you mean Jack Ryan....

Yeah, that one...who decided we needed two Jack R's who are former military dudes who go on adventures at the same damn time.  This mistake is their fault not mine.

• Like 1

Catching up from a post form last month...are USA's recent cancellations indicative of a bigger shift?  Recently, they've dropped or have announced the end of four shows: Falling Water, Shooter, Colony, and Mr. Robot.  Suits is long in the tooth and I could see that ending soon.  Only @J.T. and I watch Queen of the South, so I could see that go unless USA execs have it positioned as a token program to add diversity.  Regardless, after that, there's just prestige short runs like Sinner and Purge, and reality crap like Crisley and Miz.  I'm wondering whether dropping 2 billion on wrestling is causing the network to tighten their belts everywhere else.

7 minutes ago, HumanChessgame said:

Season 2 of Ozark was really good.  The Breaking Bad formula continues, but they've done a lot to make the show stand on its own.

The wife and I binged both seasons over the weekend.  Loved it, can't wait for season 3.

1 hour ago, driver said:

Really enjoying Jack Ryan.

I thought it was very good.  I truly would have preferred a period piece set along the same timeline as the books, but I get why they went with an updated modern version.  Everything was well done, especially the casting.  I'm looking forward to Season 2, even though it's a year wait.

Dunno if anybody caught THE PURGE (USA NETWORK DEMANDS IT!!!) but what I saw of the first 45 minutes or so was promising. 

Mayans (or is it Mayans MC?) is gonna be as if not more ridiculous than Sons of Anarchy and probably as entertaining. Even more entertaining were the trailers for Bad Times at the El Royale which looks to be so fucking '90s Tarantino that I'll probably have a seizure out of pure nostalgia. 

I watched the Sunny premier early thru the FXX app. They did a good job playing with expectations and dealing with the fact Dennis was gone. I was skeptical about Mindy Kaling being so prominent in the advertising. But I should have trusted their instincts. I don't want to go into detail until it has aired on TV. 

• Like 1

How broke is that old bitch? He is desperate to get money anywhere he can. You would think with how many kick backs he got, he would have saved some money. 

I think he has it in his head, he can run for office here again. He definitely thinks he is at least entitled to the state supreme court. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Dolfan in NYC said:

Also, Roy Moore is suing Sasha Baron Cohen for $95M for defamation for his appearance in This Is America.

lol

Like I said in the last thread, they're probably drooling over this. And I wouldn't be surprised if he's doing this to pay off his own legal expenses. 

Hopefully Sasha wins and it bankrupts Moore's disgusting fucking ass obviously

18 hours ago, Dolfan in NYC said:

Well, House of Cards is definitely killing Kevin Spacey's character.  

The last season of the show killed it dead worse than what Spacey did. I went from really loving HoC to just loathing it. If you like shows where the best characters constantly lose, look like dopes, and get killed off, while the bad guys always get away with crimes that are easier to crack than whatever the fuck Trump has done, then I guess watch HoC.

So in that sense, HoC is perfect for jaded WWE fans who keep watching in hopes something good happens.

The last season should have been all about Hammerschmidt bringing the, uh, hammer down on the Underwoods and instead not a fucking thing happened except for the twist with Frank and Claire. Fuck all of that. Every season felt like it was building up to Hammerschmidt coming around to the idea that the Underwoods were the dirtiest people on the planet, he actually comes around to that idea, he's building solid evidence and...nothing. The last season was just more of the same.

If the writing and dialogue weren't as good as it is, we'd be in Dexter territory by now.

7 hours ago, Craig H said:

The last season of the show killed it dead worse than what Spacey did. I went from really loving HoC to just loathing it. If you like shows where the best characters constantly lose, look like dopes, and get killed off, while the bad guys always get away with crimes that are easier to crack than whatever the fuck Trump has done, then I guess watch HoC.

Yeah, these are the exact same reasons I wasn't planning to watch the final season. I was tired of super dastardly, constantly breaking the fourth wall, stuck in a loveless marriage but constantly finding convergent interests villain power couple. This show is a wet dream for rich, white people or given Frank's background of Klansman daddy from South Carolina, poor to lower middle class white people who want to be rich, in the White House, and run public policy. So basically it's for a tier just under the Alt-Right.

• Like 1