DVDVR Message Board

[MOVIES] SEPTEMBER 2018 DISCUSSION

Dolfan in NYC

In one of those only in NYC moments, my friends and I decided to go to the Alamo Drafthouse to see Let The Corpses Tan (which was fantastic, btw) and little did we realize, the directors of the movie were actually there for a quick Q&A afterwards.  

I love this town. 

You Were Never Really Here was... weird. Joaquin Phoenix is the star, so, duh, but seriously. He plays some sort of vigilante for hire that goes around whacking dudes in the head with a ball-peen hammer. He's definitely got issues too, with probable child abuse and PTSD (not to mention being covered in scars). His buddy that hips him to jobs is the guy who played Rawls on The Wire; dude sends him on a mission to find a senator's missing daughter who's been captured by a sex slave ring. Pretty oblique with a typically bizarre Phoenix performance. One minute he's having conversations with his elderly mother and the next he's cracking skulls. Also features a Carpenter-esque soundtrack that might be worth finding the OST to.

12 hours ago, Dolfan in NYC said:

In one of those only in NYC moments, my friends and I decided to go to the Alamo Drafthouse to see Let The Corpses Tan (which was fantastic, btw) and little did we realize, the directors of the movie were actually there for a quick Q&A afterwards.  

I love this town. 

Something similar happened to me in 2016 when I saw Swiss Army Man - the Daniels were unexpectedly there for a Q&A.  So, not ONLY in NYC. :)

Gotta get around to checking that one out though, I've heard very good things and I greatly enjoyed the directors' earlier movie, Amer.

• Like 1

Saw it today. Was hoping the worst part of it would be how they really hammer home the signposting of what super scary thing is about to happen NOW every single time, but it was rough to watch. Final third of the way, they just stopped giving a shit and just took the piss.

Also saw Teen Titans beforehand. That was super enjoyable, and at 85 minutes was a very good running time for what it was. Strange that some reviews I"d read had called it DC's version of Deadpool (and not just because of it starring Deathstroke). Perfectly child friendly.

I think they meant the Deadpool similarity as in the meta context that both share. 

Speaking of Deadpool, I watched the sequel last night. For one long, cheeky in-joke it wasn't bad, but your mileage may vary. I also must've missed it  (I did fall asleep about halfway through and had to restart it) but why were they calling Cable a racist through the whole movie? 

4 hours ago, Curt McGirt said:

I think they meant the Deadpool similarity as in the meta context that both share. 

Speaking of Deadpool, I watched the sequel last night. For one long, cheeky in-joke it wasn't bad, but your mileage may vary. I also must've missed it  (I did fall asleep about halfway through and had to restart it) but why were they calling Cable a racist through the whole movie? 

Because he killed Black Tom Cassidy

Just came back from seeing Burning, which is going to be South Korea's submission for the 2019 Best Foreign Film Oscar.  Wouldn't say I loved it, but it's sticking in my head and I really want to talk about it with someone who's seen it.  I think I'll have that chance later tonight.

18 minutes ago, S.K.o.S. said:

Just came back from seeing Burning, which is going to be South Korea's submission for the 2019 Best Foreign Film Oscar.  Wouldn't say I loved it, but it's sticking in my head and I really want to talk about it with someone who's seen it.  I think I'll have that chance later tonight.

If I could make it to TIFF (and you know actually afford it), that's one I would certainly check out.

• Like 1

Finally watched Baby Driver.  KInda hated it.  There comes a point in the movie where I wanted to punch Baby in the face for being such a passive idiot and causing so much carnage around him. I never had a lot of sympathy for him because he goes along with events so easily and seemed to mostly offer weak resistance.  Basically, he wreaks a lot of havoc by being passive.

I kinda sympathized with Jon Hamm's character during the last 20-30 minutes.  Don't think that's what the writers were going for.

• Like 2

Had a great time watching the Swedish movie BORDER at TIFF last night.  Pretty bonkers stuff.  Guy sitting behind me kept going "Whaaat?"  It'll probably be months before it's available to the public, but I strongly recommend checking it out.  May be the best one I see at the festival this year, and will almost certainly be the craziest.  IMDB plot summary is "When a customs officer develops a strange attraction to the suspect she's investigating, the case's revelations soon call into question her entire existence."  You don't need to know anything other than that.

15 hours ago, Player One said:

Finally watched Baby Driver.  KInda hated it.  There comes a point in the movie where I wanted to punch Baby in the face for being such a passive idiot and causing so much carnage around him. I never had a lot of sympathy for him because he goes along with events so easily and seemed to mostly offer weak resistance.  Basically, he wreaks a lot of havoc by being passive.

That's sorta the point, though.  Baby honestly believes that since he is "just the driver," he is not really as reprehensible as the other criminals he works with. 

He is not so much being passive as he is maintaining his wall that he thinks separates him from the "real bad guys."

In the third act he discovers that the wall is a lie and he is just as much of a criminal as the people around him.  At least Bats and the other members of the crew are honest with themselves about who they are, what they do, and why they do what they do.

I don't know that I'll ever be able to rewatch Baby Driver with the Kevin Spacey forcing himself as a father figure onto an unwilling young man thing.

Which is a shame because that opening car chase alone made it one of my favorite movies of last year.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Brian Fowler said:

I don't know that I'll ever be able to rewatch Baby Driver with the Kevin Spacey forcing himself as a father figure onto an unwilling young man thing.

Which is a shame because that opening car chase alone made it one of my favorite movies of last year.

Yeah, the Kevin Spacey bullshit pretty much killed any impetus I had to add the Baby Driver DVD to my collection.

Too bad.

Wife and I watched The Intern last night.  Not really a great movie, but we enjoyed it an awful lot.  It's works really well when Hathaway and Robert DeNiro are on-screen together, not so much when it separates them and gives time to the supporting cast.  Which is fine, because most of the movie is Anne Hathaway and Robert DeNiro playing scenes together.

We loved the first hour, aside from some cornball old age jokes during DeNiro's character's job interview ("I see you went to Northwestern?  Do you remember what you majored in?"  Ugh).  Second hour gets off track with some uninteresting subplots that are probably only there to pad the running time.  The wacky hijinks with the four employees driving over to steal the mother's computer probably should have been in a different movie.  Tonally, it's way out of whack.

Some of the plotting is contrived (the idea that an internet company that sells trendy young person clothes would suddenly decide to start an intern program for senior citizens seems really unlikely), but it was fun to watch the two stars.  And Hathaway is insanely likable (and gorgeous) in the movie.  

Probably my favorite of DeNiro's recent 'old guy' roles.

Edited by Player One
Because I am old and senile and confused Dustin Hoffman and Robert DeNiro like a half-dozen times.
  • Like 1