DVDVR Message Board

UFC 228: Woodley vs. Till (9/8/2018) - Dallas, TX (American Airlines Center)

Elsalvajeloco

This card has been a blast. Andrade with that axe murderer w/ wrestling is so much fun and terrifying. Karolina has good technical punching but her lack of power and striking defense will keep her from challenging from the title again. Justin Bieber's sister... God damn. 

We wanted to watch Girl Murder tonight but Nico's pull out looked like it was going to ruin that mood. Thanks, Jess. That was terrifying.

That Miragliotta clinch break was pathetic and proof positive that this company has it in for fighters, champions even, that go against the corporate narrative.  Interested to see what the round 1 scorecards looked like. They'll never give you the superfights, T-Wood - go invent 165 and 175 instead.

• Like 1

Woodley is patient and smart even if a bit limited but his power is unfuckwithable and he knows how to use it. I liked him coming out more aggressive in this one than his most recent outings. It'll be interesting to see how Till evolves after this because he needs to tight up his defence across the board. How hard is Colby going to be ducking that fight? 

15 minutes ago, Oyaji said:

Woodley is patient and smart even if a bit limited but his power is unfuckwithable and he knows how to use it. I liked him coming out more aggressive in this one than his most recent outings. It'll be interesting to see how Till evolves after this because he needs to tight up his defence across the board. How hard is Colby going to be ducking that fight? 

Till has an incredibly hard time creating his own offense. If you fight remotely defensive, you basically throw him off. I can't imagine him fighting a Yoel Romero. By the time he gets started, he will get his block knocked off.

Against offensive minded fighters, he is saavy enough to set up effective counter punching opportunities. However, most of the top middleweights are at least a couple tiers up from the guys he was sparking out on Fight Pass. The current iteration of Donald Cerrone and say...Kelvin Gastelum..on two different levels.

• Like 1

Giving Darren Till a UFC title shot was premature. Dude fought with his head wide open.

Just give Jessica Andrade the next strawweight title shot.

Not sure who got the bonuses, but a lot of of good finishes tonight. Sterling got that knee bar from back mount. Zabit Magomedsharipov pulled off another crazy kneebar. Alhassan got that crazy 40 second knockout against Niko Price. Even Woodley finished someone. It was like bizarro world.

I still wanna see Tatiana get a shot at the title, another super impressive performance from her.

Woodley & Andrade got performance of the night, while Aldana/Pudilova got FOTN - awesome fight that was, glad to see Aldana back in the groove.

• Like 1

Weird that the betting lines were so close between Till & Woodley (Till fave. with some). This iteration of Woodley just loves fighting southpaws, and anyone who ran through Lawler in the way Woodley did has the power to put away anyone that wants to strike with him. Hopefully get to watch him run through Colby next.

I think Till's good odds were more about optimistic scousers betting on him than they were about his actual chance of winning. 

Meanwhile, both Women's fights had that 'one of these people could make a lower weight class if they had to' thing about it. Not that there is a lighter weight class than 115 right now. But both Esparza and Kovalkeivich were womanhandled in a way that said "it doesn't matter how good your technique is with this great a Power disparity."

So now the unbooked (at least officially) title fights and contendership bouts are

Joanna vs. Suarez

Namajunas vs. Andrade

Shevchenko vs. TBA

Cejudo vs. TBA

Holm vs. TBA at bantamweight (especially with it looking like Vieira being out for awhile)

Dillashaw vs. Cruz/M. Moraes/Assuncao

Holloway vs. Ortega (rumored for UFC 231 in Toronto)

Poirier vs. TBA

Usman vs. TBA

Woodley vs. Covington 

Whittaker vs. Gastelum

Cormier vs. TBA for the LHW belt

IMO The impending Jon Jones decision is basically the LeBron move in free agency. That one thing determines how most of these dominoes fall.

• Like 2

On ‎9‎/‎8‎/‎2018 at 11:15 PM, Elsalvajeloco said:

THIS SPORT IS A WORK~!

That's what I thought when I saw three fucking backmount kneebar submissions in one card.  That's like a WrestleMania with nine superkick finishes.