DVDVR Message Board

UFC 228: Woodley vs. Till (9/8/2018) - Dallas, TX (American Airlines Center)

Elsalvajeloco

Just now, Elsalvajeloco said:

Once the fighters pushed back, they (the fighters) put the onus on themselves. Their reasoning seems to be "well, just because one or two fighters miss weight doesn't mean we need to change this up". If it's just one or two fighters missing every other card, it's going to stay this way. This goes especially if the only uniformity between the fighters is the idea of self accountability.

The solution can't be, "Let the guys who thought it was a good idea to get punched in the face for a living figure it out."  

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, supremebve said:

The solution can't be, "Let the guys who thought it was a good idea to get punched in the face for a living figure it out."  

Not counting the weird Iaquinta thing, between the Brooklyn PPV in April and the last show with Gaethje vs. Vick, only seven people (Marquez, Chiesa, Romero, Till, Dern, Ladd, Kevin Lee) have missed weight. Doing some rough math, that is between 175 to 180 fights total for sixteen events. Only one of those fights didn't happen (Smith vs. Ladd). If we add Montano, that's eight in 190 - 195 fights through seventeen cards and two fights we lost. That's 4% of the fights in literally five months. Not exactly whole cards falling apart.

7 minutes ago, Elsalvajeloco said:

Not counting the weird Iaquinta thing, between the Brooklyn PPV in April and the last show with Gaethje vs. Vick, only seven people (Marquez, Chiesa, Romero, Till, Dern, Ladd, Kevin Lee) have missed weight. Doing some rough math, that is between 175 to 180 fights total for sixteen events. Only one of those fights didn't happen (Smith vs. Ladd). If we add Montano, that's eight in 190 - 195 fights through seventeen cards and two fights we lost. That's 4% of the fights in literally five months. Not exactly whole cards falling apart.

My point is less, this happens too often and more this is something that should be fixed because it is doing harm to both the fighters and companies health.  Thankfully Darren Till made weight, but every single one of us was worried that he wouldn't.  The last time he tried to make the weight he went temporarily blind.  So instead of trying to figure out what they were doing wrong, they decided to put him in a title fight and just have someone else hanging around just in case.  Kleenexes don't stop you from sneezing, they will just clean up your runny nose.  They need to stop wiping their nose and go get some cold medicine or antibiotics, or something else.  Seriously, every conversation I've had about this fight has been about whether or not Till was going to make weight, or why did he get a title fight after missing weight, or didn't he say he plans on moving up in weight?  The Montano fight is the 3rd "championship fight" where someone missed weight.  That is a real issue that they need to address.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, supremebve said:

My point is less, this happens too often and more this is something that should be fixed because it is doing harm to both the fighters and companies health.

It depends. If it's 4% to 5% of fights in half a year in fights that won't drawing huge anyway, it's not affecting the health of the company. At all. If you mean entertainment wise, the fights that were going to be good are still good and the fights that were going to be pedestrian are still that. However, if we're talking severity, it's been a issue long past the official weigh in and ceremonial weigh ins. They just cut Gleison Tibau, who spent the majority of UFC tenure at lightweight for ten years or around that. Gleison Tibau probably had a functional weight advantage of like 15-20 pounds in ever fight he had in the UFC not counting fighting other abnormally sized fighters.

Right now, basically, the UFC is doing the same as what boxing promoters are doing now and that's letting the commissions intercede on the behalf of the fighters. If the commissions don't step in, then it falls to the fighters. Despite having less room between weight classes, boxing has had more issues with cutting weight than to be honest. There is no way a sane person would let damn near six foot tall Jamie McDonnell fight at 118 pounds after being on the edge of death all week. A small gust of wind would have knocked him down that night let alone punches from a power punching yet much smaller Naoya Inoue. Therefore to me, if the UFC has to pull you from the fight it's likely for a good reason. 

IMO It's an issue they probably do need to address but first off, I'm not too sure the UFC is investing all that much in building towards a resolution. And again, it's not exactly a sweeping problem that's tearing down the entire infrastructure of what they're trying to do. If they really felt there was a problem, they would not have let the fighters back them off of it the day of the UFC 225 weigh in. If the fighters don't think it's an issue, then it ain't an issue. Therefore, every time someone misses weight or a near miss, we're talking about individual reliability. If the fighters want to make it that, then it's nothing the fans or the UFC can do especially if the commissions don't do anything.

1 hour ago, Elsalvajeloco said:

It depends. If it's 4% to 5% of fights in half a year in fights that won't drawing huge anyway, it's not affecting the health of the company. At all. If you mean entertainment wise, the fights that were going to be good are still good and the fights that were going to be pedestrian are still that. However, if we're talking severity, it's been a issue long past the official weigh in and ceremonial weigh ins. They just cut Gleison Tibau, who spent the majority of UFC tenure at lightweight for ten years or around that. Gleison Tibau probably had a functional weight advantage of like 15-20 pounds in ever fight he had in the UFC not counting fighting other abnormally sized fighters.

Right now, basically, the UFC is doing the same as what boxing promoters are doing now and that's letting the commissions intercede on the behalf of the fighters. If the commissions don't step in, then it falls to the fighters. Despite having less room between weight classes, boxing has had more issues with cutting weight than to be honest. There is no way a sane person would let damn near six foot tall Jamie McDonnell fight at 118 pounds after being on the edge of death all week. A small gust of wind would have knocked him down that night let alone punches from a power punching yet much smaller Naoya Inoue. Therefore to me, if the UFC has to pull you from the fight it's likely for a good reason. 

IMO It's an issue they probably do need to address but first off, I'm not too sure the UFC is investing all that much in building towards a resolution. And again, it's not exactly a sweeping problem that's tearing down the entire infrastructure of what they're trying to do. If they really felt there was a problem, they would not have let the fighters back them off of it the day of the UFC 225 weigh in. If the fighters don't think it's an issue, then it ain't an issue. Therefore, every time someone misses weight or a near miss, we're talking about individual reliability. If the fighters want to make it that, then it's nothing the fans or the UFC can do especially if the commissions don't do anything.

I'm not saying this is the straw that is going to break the camels back, but every single time something like this happens you are just adding more and more to the camel's back.  At this point is there any reason to have a 125 lb. women's title?  It has never actually been defended because of shit like this.  When was the last time the 185 lb. title was defended?  Wasn't Colby Covington just the welterweight champion?  Did he lose that title, or did he get stripped for no reason whatsoever?  I'm someone who watched every single fight for over 10 years, and they're wearing me thin with their bull shit.  I remember in about 2004-05 I just stopped watching Raw every week, and my best friend asked me about it and I told him, "I've watched wrestling for as long as I remember, and they've lost me."  The UFC is moving that way, I'm a huge fan and they are slowly eroding my interest in a way that makes me not care anymore.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, supremebve said:

I'm not saying this is the straw that is going to break the camels back, but every single time something like this happens you are just adding more and more to the camel's back.  At this point is there any reason to have a 125 lb. women's title?  It has never actually been defended because of shit like this.  When was the last time the 185 lb. title was defended?  Wasn't Colby Covington just the welterweight champion?  Did he lose that title, or did he get stripped for no reason whatsoever?  I'm someone who watched every single fight for over 10 years, and they're wearing me thin with their bull shit.  I remember in about 2004-05 I just stopped watching Raw every week, and my best friend asked me about it and I told him, "I've watched wrestling for as long as I remember, and they've lost me."  The UFC is moving that way, I'm a huge fan and they are slowly eroding my interest in a way that makes me not care anymore.  

That's is three or four different subjects though. Some people have a hard time staying off the shelf, get injured at the wrong damn time for the sake of their career, or have a style where they take more damage than necessary. When all those intersect with weight cutting, then we see some serious issues. Now that the UFC can make a ton of money without doing a whole bunch, I don't expect the cavalier attitude to end anytime soon.

If Rose is still mentally fucked up from the trolley incident from UFC 223, Joanna could find herself fighting for the interim strawweight belt against the winner of the new co main event.

BTW Rivera vs. Dodson is now on the PPV main card.

58 minutes ago, Elsalvajeloco said:

According to Dana, Nicco is vacating the flyweight belt and Valentina will fight for the vacant belt as soon as she is ready.

Lame. hadn't even been champ for a year and now all of a sudden there is title stripping that quick.

Sounds like they tried to make either Valentina vs. Andrade or Chookagian for the vacant belt on short notice. Jessica found out too late because she already weighed in at 116 and Texas doesn't allow fighters to be more than 5 pounds of each other (don't think that applies to heavyweights). Katlyn couldn't make 125 on this short a notice.

IMO it will be probably be Shevchenko vs. Chookagian in Toronto or underneath Cyborg vs. Nunes in Vegas. Joanna wants to fight Rose again or fight for the interim belt at 115. She has no desire to go up to 125.

12 minutes ago, DreamBroken said:

Lame. hadn't even been champ for a year and now all of a sudden there is title stripping that quick.

She has not had a fight since winning the belt. They gave her the benefit of the doubt and let her take care of her health issues, which put the division on ice. With her not having a bunch of real title fight experience (or high level UFC experience at all), she had very little leverage going in. She had to make it to the fight against Valentina once they officially booked it after they already tried to make the fight a few times before. Her getting stripped felt academic, which is why I seriously have to side eye her team for her weight issues. They had to know there was no room to fuck this up to be quite frank.

i don't think i've ever seen a Darren Till fight. i watch every PPV and Big Fox card, but my viewing on Fight Nights is sporadic. This would be the first time in a very long time that someone i'm have never watched gets a title shot.