DVDVR Message Board

UFC 228: Woodley vs. Till (9/8/2018) - Dallas, TX (American Airlines Center)

Elsalvajeloco

di6emyiuuaaas4z-1532471031.jpg?w=760

UFC 228: Woodley vs. Till 
September 8, 2018
Dallas, TX (American Airlines Center)

UFC Welterweight Championship: Tyron Woodley © (170) vs. Darren Till (169) (fourth defense) - Woodley, SUB (d'arce choke), R2 (4:19)
Jéssica Andrade (116) vs. Karolina Kowalkiewicz (115) - Andrade, KO (punch), R1 (1:58)
Zabit Magomedsharipov (146) vs. Brandon Davis (146) - Magomedsharipov, SUB (backmount kneebar), R2 (3:46)
Jimmie Rivera (136) vs. John Dodson (135.5) - Rivera, DEC (unanimous)
Abdul Razak Alhassan (170.5) vs. Niko Price (170.5) - Alhassan, KO (punch), R1 (0:43)

FX Preliminary Card:
Carla Esparza (115.5) vs. Tatiana Suarez (115) - Suarez, TKO (punches and elbows), R3 (4:33)
Aljamain Sterling (135.5) vs. Cody Stamann (135.5) - Sterling, SUB (backmount kneebar), R2 (3:42)
Geoff Neal (170.5) vs. Frank Camacho (171) - Neal, KO (head kick), R2 (1:23)
Charles Byrd (185) vs. Darren Stewart (185.5) - Stewart, TKO (strikes), R2 (2:17)

Fight Pass Preliminary Card:
Diego Sanchez (171) vs. Craig White (171) - Sanchez, DEC (unanimous)
Jim Miller (155.5) vs. Alex White (155) -  Miller, SUB (rear naked choke), R1 (1:29)
Irene Aldana (135) vs. Lucie Pudilová (134) - Aldana, DEC (split)
Jarred Brooks (125.5) vs. Roberto Sanchez (126) - Brooks, DEC (split)

Event Bonuses ($50,000)
Performance of the Night: Jéssica Andrade
Performance of the Night: Tyron Woodley
Fight of the Night: Irene Aldana vs. Lucie Pudilová

Attendance: 14,073
Gate: $1.7 million
Buyrate:

Cancelled Bouts:
Yair Rodríguez vs. Zabit Magomedsharipov - Injury to Rodríguez
Ryan Benoit vs. Roberto Sanchez
Nicco Montaño vs. Valentina Shevchenko - Montaño Removed Due to Medical Concerns

The order of this card is weird. If the idea is to give Zabit a highlight reel win over a late replacement, why would you not drop that down to the prelim card on free TV? Alhassan looked amazing in the rematch against Homasi but he and Price aren't established names, though they could easily be one day. Why not put that exciting fight on TV as well and then bump Aljo's fight (Stamann is no joke, that should be killer!) and/or Rivera/Dodson up? Suarez/Esparza is a PPV caliber fight but it makes sense to continue to build up Suarez on TV with a match she really ought to win against a former champion. I actually have a hard time believing Suarez and Esparza are in the same weight class. Esparza should get ragdolled. None of this really matters but UFC has not done a particularly good job of fostering prospects or making new stars and this card definitely reeks of the latter still being an issue. 

I am hyped for the main event even if it could be two dangerous guys staring at each other for long periods. I get that Till/Thompson was not everybody's cup of tea, but between the atmosphere and what I saw as Till beating Thompson at his own game, I loved it. I'm cool if it's more of the same and it ends in violence. Andrade/Kowalkiewicz will be fun and I have a hard time not seeing Andrade grinding out a victory. Despite the more or less pointless bitching, this looks like it should be a really entertaining card throughout.

15 minutes ago, Oyaji said:

The order of this card is weird. If the idea is to give Zabit a highlight reel win over a late replacement, why would you not drop that down to the prelim card on free TV? Alhassan looked amazing in the rematch against Homasi but he and Price aren't established names, though they could easily be one day. Why not put that exciting fight on TV as well and then bump Aljo's fight (Stamann is no joke, that should be killer!) and/or Rivera/Dodson up? Suarez/Esparza is a PPV caliber fight but it makes sense to continue to build up Suarez on TV with a match she really ought to win against a former champion. I actually have a hard time believing Suarez and Esparza are in the same weight class. Esparza should get ragdolled. None of this really matters but UFC has not done a particularly good job of fostering prospects or making new stars and this card definitely reeks of the latter still being an issue. 

I am hyped for the main event even if it could be two dangerous guys staring at each other for long periods. I get that Till/Thompson was not everybody's cup of tea, but between the atmosphere and what I saw as Till beating Thompson at his own game, I loved it. I'm cool if it's more of the same and it ends in violence. Andrade/Kowalkiewicz will be fun and I have a hard time not seeing Andrade grinding out a victory. Despite the more or less pointless bitching, this looks like it should be a really entertaining card throughout.

Looking at the card order, it looks they want to take advantage of being on FX and get some solid prelim ratings. Also, Zabit being on the Brooklyn PPV card and getting a win pretty much solidifies that he shows up on another PPV main card.

13 hours ago, TheVileOne said:

Is Kamaru Usman blowing smoke when he says UFC paid him to be on weight as a backup for this card? 

In the past you've had fighters in the same weight class if shit happens in the main event but paid? It's UFC's backup but I read Woodley wouldn't fight a sub.

• Like 1

Thiago Santos did it at the last TUF finale just in case Brad Tavares couldn't go. I doubt he flew from Rio to Vegas without reaching some financial agreement even if he didn't fight. In addition, the UFC let him weigh in for the commission and he was on weight. I believe Usman's case wouldn't be any different. Obviously, I doubt it would be the full purse.

6 minutes ago, Oyaji said:

I imagine Woodley was posturing for a bigger payday should he have to fight Usman on little to zero notice. I look forward to Usman grapple fucking the winner of this fight.

Or worst case scenario, they can strip him for refusing the fight and we magically end up with Usman vs. Till for the title. If Tyron was the A-side for a real money fight no matter who opponent was, he could obviously do that. A fight with zero build where the guy asking for the payday hasn't fought in several months...that's a dicey proposition.

From UFC.com to make it official

As a precautionary measure, UFC flyweight Nicco Montaño was transported to a medical facility Friday morning due to health concerns. 

The scheduled flyweight championship bout between Montaño and Valentina Shevchenko at UFC 228 has been cancelled.

I'm assuming the strawweight title eliminator gets bumped up to the co-main.

Are they ever going to fix this problem or is this just something we're going to have to deal with every event?  The way they are doing this is so obviously broken and has been for a long ass time.  The only thing they've done to address it is to change what time you have to weigh in, which is like getting your drunk uncle to start drinking at 10 AM instead of noon to stop him from getting DUIs.  The time is not the problem.

10 minutes ago, supremebve said:

Are they ever going to fix this problem or is this just something we're going to have to deal with every event?

Once the fighters pushed back, they (the fighters) put the onus on themselves. Their reasoning seems to be "well, just because one or two fighters miss weight doesn't mean we need to change this up". If it's just one or two fighters missing every other card, it's going to stay this way. This goes especially if the only uniformity between the fighters is the idea of self accountability.