DVDVR Message Board

The ROH Thread

Actually that can play into storyline quite well. That way they are actually feuding over the tag titles like the Bulldogs/Dream Team, RnR.Midnights or Horsemen/Doom. Of course that only works if Forever Hooligans are regulars and will be around for awhile.

James

I don't know how forgotten this is or if it's even aged that well but the Generation Next show was pretty solid as a whole. The 8 man tag main event (Gen Next vs. The Briscoes, Jimmy Rave, John Walters) was especially good.

Samoa Joe vs. Homicide was actually the main event.

Man I remember being in Cleveland for that Jimmy Jacobs/BJ Whitmer spot of doom. We and my friends were certain that someone had died!

BJ is best used as white meat babyface. He spent so long trying to be Brad Armstrong with a pseudo-Japanese moveset. He is someone that should be chasing that TV title or hold it and get screwed out of it, leading to like 6 months of blood drenched matches where the guy who stole it barely escapes with his teeth. Necro was by the perfect guy to book him against during the CZW feud

James

I remember Christopher Daniels and Doug Williams having a really good undercard match in early '03. I believe it was on the show with I Low Ki vs. Jody Fleisch and the first AJ Styles+Amazing Red vs. Briscoes match.

I always loved the Austin Aries/Roderick Strong vs. Bryan Danielson/Jay Lethal tag team title match from Tag Wars 2006. Was just kind of a random pairing for the challengers, and not a heavily hyped tag title match, but it was one of my favorite tag matches in ROH.

I think it'd be pretty fun to do a "Best ROH Undercard match" or "Best ROH match not featuring someone in WWE or TNA right now" project.

This would be fun, though the second would just be dominated by Cide, Nigel, Strong, Ki, and co.Just have some basic groundrules, like A: No Main Events, B: no matches that feel like they could/should have been main events: (Danielson/Cide on Reborn Stage 2 is a good example)I could come up with a list of matches from a lot of 04 and 05, but couldn't run it, posting from a phone kinda cancels me out.

I think this tournament would be awesome to do with a lot of fun matches that I really don't remember all that well, but would ultimately be depressing to realize how much better the undercard from five years ago is than the entire company is now. 

I could come up with a list of matches from a lot of 04 and 05, but couldn't run it, posting from a phone kinda cancels me out.

I hear ya. I'd like to post the spoilers from the TV tapings last night since it had tournament matches, but I'm not 100% sure how to manually do the "spoiler" tags.

Latest TV Taping Results (from PWInsider):

Episode 1:

ACH and Tadarius Thomas beat Scott Parker & Shane Matthews.

Nigel McGuinness did a promo talking about Jay Briscoe being injured and thus there will be a tournament for the vacant ROH World Title.

Silas Young won the play in match for the ROH Title tournament.

Alex Kozlov and Rocky Romero beat ReDRagon to become the ROH Tag Champions.

Episode 2:

Mike Bennett (with the lovely Maria) beat Bob Evans.

MsChif beat Jessie Brooks.

Kevin Steen, Michael Elgin and Tommaso Ciampa beat The American Wolves and B.J. Whitmer.

Episode 3:

Brian Fury beat Todd Hanson, Kongo and Vinny Marseglia in a Four Corners match. He pinned Marseglia.

Caprice Coleman and Cedric Alexander beat someone whose name I missed, BR break.

Nigel, Cary Silkin and Joe Koff then officially started the ROH Title tournament. The first match saw:

Jay Lethal beat Sonjay Dutt in a First Round ROH Title tournament.

Episode 4:

Matt Taven beat Brian Fury to retain the TV Title.

Michael Elgin did a promo saying he would win the ROH Title.  Steen, Bennett and Ciampa disagreed.  They put over how big the Title is.

Karl Anderson beat A.C.H. in a First Round ROH Title tournament.

Adam Cole beat Mark Briscoe in a First Round ROH Title tournament.

I throughly enjoyed Dixie/Azrieal v. Izzy/Deranged from Manhattan Mayhem. That whole show is probably one of the best they ever put on top to bottom...The "unsanctioned brawl" between Homicide/Ki and Lethal/Joe was a frggin spectacle with an insane finish.

The TV show was depressing. Too many empty seats. A main event match that was kind of paint by numbers. I dunno...it's weird...ROH feels so dated now. Not that other places aren't, but watching the whole evil faction illogically trying to destroy a promotion (including SETTING A MAN ON FIRE) just reeks of shit I've seen a million times.

Where did the company go wrong? I mean, I know the talent isn't there anymore but it seems the company has lost its way of what it was meant to be.

Manhattan Mayhem to Punk: The Final Chapter, to me, was the peak of the promotion. After that the roster changed (Punk, Gibson, & Spanky sign, Carnage Crew, Ring Crew Express, and Special K phased out), and while good for the next long while, it's always felt like a downward slope to me.

Talent wise it wasn't quite as strong but the ROH vs. CZW feud was tremendous and my favorite thing ROH ever did plus Homicide winning the title in NYC was a great story, so the decline for me didn't start until after Final Battle '06.