DVDVR Message Board

The ROH Thread

Briscoes had their offer pulled due to Jay's twitter rant.  As for Davey/Eddie, they were working for ROH after their contracts expired but finished up at the last show.  I guess if they don't get a deal soon they could be back.  From what I've read Edwards was impressive at the tryout.  I don't think ROH has acknowledged in kayfabe or otherwise that they may be gone.

I am enjoying the ROH television show right now. 

I have never been massively into the ROH faux MMA ultra serious no psychology style, but I really enjoy their product when they are just showcasing the talent, and the angles are mostly an afterthought.  I really enjoyed the HDnet era shows for that reason, and since the end of the Scum angle, that is pretty much what the shows have been. 

Dutt/Lethal, Anderson/ACH, Cole/Briscoe and a couple other matches the last few weeks are definately worth checking out... and if all you care about is the in-ring content, ROH is delivering right now.  

I'm confused as to why people think the Briscoes would balk at playing dumb hillbillies that are constantly doing dumb things. Isn't that them now? I mean, I know they say fuck a lot, and that is means they are super serious, but basically any time the toothless one opens his mouth a jug band starts to play some where.

• Like 2

I watched this week's TV.  Nothing blow away but some more good wrestling.  That Providence taping looked pretty kick ass.

Opener with Taven vs. Brian Fury was quite the mess.  There was a lot going on outside the ring & a lot of what they did in the ring seemed too reckless, spotty, and/or fruitily embellished.  I appreciate a highspot oriented match but this seemed a bit much.  Fury probably should continue to be used. 

Anderson vs. ACH was pretty good.  ACH is really an attention-grabber, he should be pushed harder.  I'm more into him as a singles than a tag (never have cared too much for Thomas & his contrived style).  Good match but nothing too spectacular.  One point I did want to question is Anderson's finish.  Either he's using a different finish in ROH than New Japan or the ROH commentators don't know what to call it.  Yes the move is an Ace crusher but if that same move is known worldwide as his "gun stun", it should be called that.  **1/4

Mark Briscoe vs. Adam Cole started pretty slow but picked up & the last 5 minutes or so were rocking.  Mark did a good job selling as if he was coming back from a concussion but the whole timeframe of it, his getting clearance & being added to the tourney sounded like typical pro-wrestling announcer hype and most likely doesn't line up with what was going on website wise during the time of the tourney starting.  Good match though that accomplished its purpose. **1/4

So Eddie Edwards and Davey Ricards were invited by the 'E to their Performance Center in Florida over the weekend.

Man, in between my disenchantment with the 'E and Lord knows what's going on with CHIKARA, Davey Richards on WWE TV might be the push I need to fuly abandon American wrestling.I went from ROH superfan until Joe and Danielson left to following recaps on how A Double was doing to not even doing that once they let him go. And Davey is pretty much why I gave up on the indies as a whole. Restrained style or not, Davey in WWE would be a huge NOPE to me.

I'm confused as to why people think the Briscoes would balk at playing dumb hillbillies that are constantly doing dumb things. Isn't that them now? I mean, I know they say fuck a lot, and that is means they are super serious, but basically any time the toothless one opens his mouth a jug band starts to play some where.

You can shut up, Chicken is the key signing that will SAVE WRESTLING!

I reviewed this week's ROH here:http://prowresblog.blogspot.com/2013/09/ring-of-honor-tv-972013-results-and.htmlOverall thoughts: I didn't really like this show. The crowd mic's were screwed up and they handled BJ Whitmer's injury poorly. They didn't mention it and didn't even tell us what the finish to that match was. So therefore, if you just watched the show, you wouldn't even know something was up even though it has been a while since it happened. The opener was rushed, the second match stunk and the main was good but it was rushed and could have been better.

I'm a week late, but I went to the ROH show in Chattanooga. It was decent, but not having been to an ROH show since the last Danielson tour, pretty fucking depressing overall. It's one thing to see the talent level dwindle on TV, but live, it really hits you that this company resembles very little of what it was four or five years ago. The Fish/Coleman and especially O'Reilly/Alexander matches were pretty good, but also helped by the fact that every match before was horrid. Fuck's sake, Cheeseburger worked in two separate matches.

Also, Meltzer mentioned that the 300-ish crowd was due to the fact that there was no advertising. This is absolute bullshit. Sinclair owns the local ABC affiliate, and they ran ROH spots every hour on the hour for at least two weeks before. They had radio spots, newspaper articles - basically the extent of what a media "blitz" could constitute in Chattanooga. The reason people didn't come is because they don't know anyone, and nobody sees the TV show. I can attest to that - I have about 250 people who work for me and I invited a bunch of them to the show, and I got the same response from at least 15 of them "Why would I pay 20 bucks to watch guys I've never seen?" In a related story, the local dirt indie brought back Robert Gibson for the umpteenth time last week, and probably made money off the show. 

I went to the show in Birmingham last week. I agree about the depressing nature of it all. The crowd was pretty small for a big venue. We had to argue with Boutwell staff to get our front row seats moved up to the railing, and the only fun we had was the obnoxiousness of my friend who doesn't know how to tone himself down around the crowd for a wrestling show. If anyone picks up that DVD, they'll mostly see me in the front row laughing the whole time.

I reviewed this week's ROH TV here:
http://prowresblog.blogspot.com/2013/09/ring-of-honor-tv-9142013-results-and.html

Overall thoughts: The video quality and lighting really hurt this one, though the matches were all suspect. No truly great matches here and the first match was a total mess with all the interference.

Some shots from the show:
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

Is Steen hurt, or did working with Matt Hardy just sap his will to live? I wasn't wildly impressed by this match with Elgin, or, really, anything he's done in the last few months (not that he was the greatest worker ever, but still). Also I should note that at the Chattanooga show a few weeks back, he basically did nothing but comedy spots while the other 3 worked a serious match, and while it was funny, it was also evident that he had ZERO desire to do anything physically arduous.