DVDVR Message Board

The ROH Thread

He's the IWGP Champ. He's full time contracted to NJPW. They pay fine. They also only work 2-3 weeks a clip then have two weeks off. He works here for fun when NJPW isn't on tour. Your argument is invalid.

@ringofhonor: Washington DC ROH Fans are you ready for ROH TV?

ROH will now air in Washington, DC on WJLA, Sat night @ 1AM beginning 9/20/14

Oh yea........

That's awesome.  I moved from a part of MD that got Baltimore's Sinclair affiliate to an area that only gets DC channels about a year ago.  It'll be good to see ROH again and it sounds like they're picking up.

He's the IWGP Champ. He's full time contracted to NJPW. They pay fine. They also only work 2-3 weeks a clip then have two weeks off. He works here for fun when NJPW isn't on tour. Your argument is invalid.

So if NJPW cared whether he jobbed or not, they'd tell him "don't job." So they must not care.

So if NJPW cared whether he jobbed or not, they'd tell him "don't job." So they must not care.

I assume they told him not to job, which is what led to the DQ finish in PWG that everyone is bitching about.

Really enjoyed this week's show. Definitely worth tracking down.

Nice goal post moving, since I never said NJPW didn't care if he jobbed.  Which they most likely did, which is why he doesn't.  You made an argument that NJPW doesn't pay AJ enough to not work indies . That's absolutly not true.  Styles is on record saying that NJPW pays him base about what he was making in TNA before they lowballed him on the renewal.  He gets the bonus of only needing to pay his parking at Atlanta International and his plane tickets from Atlanta to Tokyo and back, since NJPW pays and provides all Travel, Hotel, and Food while workers are on tour.  So he ends up clearing more than he ever did with TNA.  He gets the bonus of working Indy dates if he chooses while NJPW is not on tour.  The only cavaet is that while he's their champ, he doesn't job.

Considering that he was a part of ROH and NJPW's new working arrangement, and that NJPW/ROH joint show sold out the Hammerstein for ROH for the first time since Gabe got fired, and did it in 5 minutes, they outdrew TNA at MCU Park, ROH guys have gotten NJPW paydays, like Bennett and Young at NJPW's equivilent of SummerSlam, and ROH has pulled off something Gabe never could, and that's get the top singles champ of a top Japanese promotion booked regularalry on their shows, I highly doubt that Delerious and Sinclair are crying about how hamstrung they are that they can't put someone over Styles while he's the focal point of NJPW's top angle heading into their WrestleMania. 

That's the argument I'm destroying.  But by all means, bring in more strawmen to keep bitching that you're hurt that Styles didn't do a clean job at BOLA.

• Like 3

This is the second time I'm seeing "ROH sold out Hammerstein out in 5 minutes" and I don't know where that started. Perhaps I'm taking it too literally. I bought tickets for that show on the day the NJPW announcement was made (February). It sold out in a few months if I recall. They released several extra tickets in April that sold out rather quickly.

Anyway, the last two episodes of ROH soubd pretty good. I normally just watch the big shows, but I'm gonna give these tv tapings a shot.

I take that from the day I heard the announcement, I went looking for tickets, and there none to be had.  Its always possible that it was just a ticketmaster(or whoever did the tickets) thing, since I never ended up going to StubHub because I didn't want to overpay.

I think forcing a tiny indy who never does DQs to do a DQ finish is really dumb, but fuck it, that's on PWG for accepting that stipulation.  Why they booked AJ for the show is another question.  PWG sells out regularly so it's not like they needed him to move any tickets.  In the end, does any of it matter?  I'm just selfish and hate seeing a shit finish on a show I'm looking forward to, especially when the shit finish is done for reasons I disagree with.  We can all agree to disagree on those reasons and still be e-bros. 

He gets the bonus of only needing to pay his parking at Atlanta International and his plane tickets from Atlanta to Tokyo and back

Airport parking is expensive though. $30 a day? Good luck with that!

LOL I think it's kind of like making your stars dress nicely for appearances' sake.  NJPW makes AJ park at the airport to give the appearance that their champion is a successful athlete, because paying upwards of $30 per day is straight ballin'.  The champ can't be seen taking the shuttle no matter how economical it is, dude.

He gets the bonus of only needing to pay his parking at Atlanta International and his plane tickets from Atlanta to Tokyo and back

Airport parking is expensive though. $30 a day? Good luck with that!

LOL I think it's kind of like making your stars dress nicely for appearances' sake.  NJPW makes AJ park at the airport to give the appearance that their champion is a successful athlete, because paying upwards of $30 per day is straight ballin'.  The champ can't be seen taking the shuttle no matter how economical it is, dude.

Then why didn't he wear a polo shirt for the G1 Cilmax photo?

A long valid point

Dude, I very literally couldn't care less if AJ Styles jobs at BOLA or not. Really. What I was saying, and I probably didn't explain well enough, is that if I'm a wrestling promoter bringing in AJ Styles and paying him his booking fee (which cannot be cheap), I wouldn't want him telling me he couldn't do this finish or that finish or the other finish because he's champ of some fed in Japan 95 percent of American wrestling fans couldn't give a damn about.

It's his call to make not jobbing a part of his deal, but it would be my call to not hire him. That's what I was saying, badly.

A long valid point

Dude, I very literally couldn't care less if AJ Styles jobs at BOLA or not. Really. What I was saying, and I probably didn't explain well enough, is that if I'm a wrestling promoter bringing in AJ Styles and paying him his booking fee (which cannot be cheap), I wouldn't want him telling me he couldn't do this finish or that finish or the other finish because he's champ of some fed in Japan 95 percent of American wrestling fans couldn't give a damn about.

It's his call to make not jobbing a part of his deal, but it would be my call to not hire him. That's what I was saying, badly.

Understand.  But that's on PWG.  If they wanted him to sell a few more tickets, putting him into the tourny wasn't the way to do it.  RoH seems to be making good from it though, but again, how they book him and around his restrictions is all them, and they haven't had an issue.

And let's be honest, there's a *lot* of RoH's core fanbase still that pays attention to Japan feds.

A long valid point

Understand.  But that's on PWG.  If they wanted him to sell a few more tickets, putting him into the tourny wasn't the way to do it.  RoH seems to be making good from it though, but again, how they book him and around his restrictions is all them, and they haven't had an issue.

And let's be honest, there's a *lot* of RoH's core fanbase still that pays attention to Japan feds.

Oh yeah. But I was talking more from a "hire him for a show at the armory" perspective, not ROH or PWG. 

I could even see a way for DQ finishes to work at the armory, but it'd suck if he mailed it in. I'm pretty sure he wouldn't, though.

I am certain I read somewhere on F4W board that when AJ Styles first reappeared on the indies at the start of this year, his booking agent was generally telling people that AJ would not be losing. This was all prior to him appearing in NJPW, A quick search on cagematch tells me he lost one match to the Amazing Red in February and that was it.

I remember at the time people saying how AJ was limiting himself by refusing to loose and that Chris Hero had the right of idea of going town to town and putting guys over. I am not saying one is the right way and the other is the wrong way but it seemed to turn out fine for AJ. I am also certain AJ doesn't show up the day of the event and tells the promoter that he is going over, no matter. I am sure they all know ahead of time and understand the circumstances which comes with booking him. From what I have heard and read AJ has helped numerous smaller companies draw bigger than average houses, if he is drawing well and worth the price, I  can see why promoters are still keen to book him.

I personally like the fact that AJ is protected, even more so now he is NJPW champion.