DVDVR Message Board

The ROH Thread

I still find it funny ROH was selling and is still selling SCUM shirts on their site. "They're trying to kill us! Also buy their shirt available in M, L, and XL at our shop!" At least nWo guys were under contract and just trying to take all the spots in the company, hey maybe you really believe in Kevin Nash so you buy a shirt. Who goes and buy a SCUM shirt?

I think the reason for most of these recycled-to-death angles is just lazy booking by people that don't really know any better.  Invasion angles and evil authority figures have been what the (US) wrestling world has revolved around since 1996.  That is 17 years.  People booking this kind of stuff have never really known anything else.  What needs to happen is someone with fresh ideas getting the book, and doing the exact opposite. 

Got this idea from a friend on another board but it speaks to the sentiments above of Delirious' booking being lazy or uninspired.

"Call it uninspired if you want to...I think that given what ROH fans want out of ROH, I think they have a relatively low interest in intricate, well planned, storylines. I think if you throw in a handful then the fans will be happy. It's not like we're talking about PWG or DGUSA where storylines are virtually nonexistant..."

I'm afraid there is a big shortage of bookers even out there for companies to hire.  I think it's just a sign of the times, pretty much every company is eternally slotted in the slot they are already in.  Even if a lot of companies double their current business they are still pretty much in the same slot they have always been in, from local little indies all the way up to TNA.

That Manhattan Mayhem V show was seriously bad outside of FH vs the Bucks. I don't understand why Marshall Law had any offense in that Outlaw match. Beat down->new Cop Killa double team->break finger->done.

The ROH roster is the shittiest it's ever been. I don't give a single guck about 98% of them.

Out of curiosity, does them reusing show names bug the hell out of anyone else? I remember the first time I heard Nigel vs. Danielson was going to be "Epic Encounter 2" I wanted to rip someones head off. It sounded stupid, and I didn't like the match nearly as much as I liked London/Danielson (If I recall, that was the match were Nigel did the "headbutting the ring post till he bled" spot. Made me uncomfortable then, since if I remember correctly, Benoit wasn't much before that, and low and behold, he has head issues now that forced an early retirement)

Like, how many of the "Manhattan Mayhem" shows are even in the ballpark of the first one?

Clearly, they should give BEN! the book.

The MONSTER! Meng with a 600 day ROH World title reign is exactly what ROH needs, tbh.

I can already picture the Colonel stealing Maria away from Mike Bennett due to his vast, vast fortune and it makes me wish this could all happen.

I think that could really work if you had some old school "southern style" guys come in as dastardly heels, and worked all their matches where they started slow and then tapered off...

Like, what if Ricky Morton arrived on the scene, coked up, with a cig hanging from his lip and said "damn bubba, y'all are given these folks way too much", and proceeded to work a match with Davey Richard that consisted of Richards unable to escape a Morton armbar for 30 minutes...

• Like 1

Out of curiosity, does them reusing show names bug the hell out of anyone else? I remember the first time I heard Nigel vs. Danielson was going to be "Epic Encounter 2" I wanted to rip someones head off. It sounded stupid, and I didn't like the match nearly as much as I liked London/Danielson (If I recall, that was the match were Nigel did the "headbutting the ring post till he bled" spot. Made me uncomfortable then, since if I remember correctly, Benoit wasn't much before that, and low and behold, he has head issues now that forced an early retirement)Like, how many of the "Manhattan Mayhem" shows are even in the ballpark of the first one?

That Nigel match was on a show called 'United'. I never minded when they did it for the big shows like Final Battle because it made the events seem super important, but now it just makes it seem like ROH is just trying to relive past glories, which I guess is essentially true. Manhattan Mayhem II was a really great show. I think there could be an argument that it's a better show in ring than the first, but it doesn't do nearly as good a job of advancing stories.

Out of curiosity, does them reusing show names bug the hell out of anyone else?

Like, how many of the "Manhattan Mayhem" shows are even in the ballpark of the first one?

My favorite is when your local independent promotion runs events monthly, and gives every monthly show a unique name so it sounds like a big event... but has no "regular" shows to build to a big card.  "August Onslaught" just builds to "September to Dismember", which builds towards "Halloween Hell III", etc. 

Like, what if Ricky Morton arrived on the scene, coked up, with a cig hanging from his lip and said "damn bubba, y'all are given these folks way too much", and proceeded to work a match with Davey Richard that consisted of Richards unable to escape a Morton armbar for 30 minutes...

God.  On paper, this sounds more like a Smoky Mountain Wrestling main event than most actual SMW main events,

Nikita is really Jim Cornette, isn't he?  That explains so much.

I thought it was just okay at first... a well booked tag team breakup-turned-blood-feud, but tag teams breaking up to feud is sooooo overdone. 

However, when they added Cabana & Corino to the mix, I thought it was one of the best angles going in the business, and really went to the next level.  "Feud of the Year" stuff. 

I say this not being a particularly big fan of either Steen or Generico. 

Out of curiosity, does them reusing show names bug the hell out of anyone else? I remember the first time I heard Nigel vs. Danielson was going to be "Epic Encounter 2" I wanted to rip someones head off. It sounded stupid, and I didn't like the match nearly as much as I liked London/Danielson (If I recall, that was the match were Nigel did the "headbutting the ring post till he bled" spot. Made me uncomfortable then, since if I remember correctly, Benoit wasn't much before that, and low and behold, he has head issues now that forced an early retirement)

Your timeline is a little off here. The Nigel/Danielson match you're describing was from Unified which was part of ROH's United Kingdom debut and Nigel was the hometown hero. It was a pretty big match as it was the unification match for the World and Pure Titles. Also, the match occurred a year before the Benoit stuff.

The Epic Encounter 2 was a 2/3 falls rematch between Nigel/Danielson but doesn't involve the headbutting the ring post spot. All that said, I'm not huge on reusing show names, especially when they'd use it before the show occurred. Manhattan Mayhem II was a really good show but I didn't like that they were already dubbing it MM2 before the show even occurred.

Your timeline is a little off here. The Nigel/Danielson match you're describing was from Unified which was part of ROH's United Kingdom debut and Nigel was the hometown hero. It was a pretty big match as it was the unification match for the World and Pure Titles. Also, the match occurred a year before the Benoit stuff.

I remember on an ROH show in 04, maybe Nigel's first, he does the headbutting the ring post spot and it's really hard to watch. How long was that guy doing that spot on smaller indies and how often? Craziness.

Clearly, they should give BEN! the book.

Give me all of the books...for my Delirious librarian gimmick where he runs to the ring pushing a cart of books and throws them at his opponents while babbling "overdue, overdue".

• Like 4

I remember on an ROH show in 04, maybe Nigel's first, he does the headbutting the ring post spot and it's really hard to watch. How long was that guy doing that spot on smaller indies and how often? Craziness.

Oh wow. I don't recall that and I was pretty into ROH by '04. I only remember the aforementioned Unified spot. It's ridiculous, especially with how much more attention is paid to head trauma nowadays.