DVDVR Message Board

The ROH Thread

I want to watch that match with Nikita, just to see his head explode SCANNERS-style when the superkick/tombstone combo only gets two.

I believe what actually happened was me shaking my head in disapproval, and then tweeting:

@SovietShooter

This trios match lost me when Elgin kicked out of a piledriver. #ROH

Bah!  The man kicks out of top-rope dragon suplexes.  A mere piledriver can't stop him.

The worst was Punk, during his RoH title win, kicking out of a super brainbuster...at one.

Or, as I told Nikita, years ago on an Upstate NY indy TV show I saw someone kick out of a package Canadian Destroyer.

How does one do a "Package Canadian Destroyer"?  Simply hooking one leg as they snap thru? 

Back in '05 (I think) I wrestled at the Nashville Fairgrounds as part of the NWA Anniversary Show/Convention.  At that time Bill Behrens was the President of the NWA, and was kinda considered a "godfather" of sorts because of his connections w/ TNA, as well handling bookings for a lot of the "super indy" guys on the periphery of TNA.  Anyway, he was the promoter of record for NWA Wildside, which at the time had pretty significant television syndication (Beherns' was in television syndication sales, by trade). 

The first match on the show featured four "Wildside guys" - Patrick Bentley &  Seth Delay versus Adam Roberts & Lost Boy Gabriel.  All of these guys were skinny as shit and I just had the feeling this was going to be flippyfest.  I was watching thru the curtain with NJPW's Dave Marquez & Tommy Williams. The first fucking move in the match, one guy went for the ol' backdrop as the other guy came off the ropes, and BAM! CANADIAN DESTROYER~!  I flipped the fuck out in the lockerroom in front of everyone. 

The first match on the show featured four "Wildside guys" - Patrick Bentley &  Seth Delay versus Adam Roberts & Lost Boy Gabriel.  All of these guys were skinny as shit and I just had the feeling this was going to be flippyfest.  I was watching thru the curtain with NJPW's Dave Marquez & Tommy Williams. The first fucking move in the match, one guy went for the ol' backdrop as the other guy came off the ropes, and BAM! CANADIAN DESTROYER~!  I flipped the fuck out in the lockerroom in front of everyone.

You need to have a shirt that reads PILEDRIVER = DEATH or something along those lines made.Then you can pass them out at every indy show while you do your KAYFABE IS DEAD, AND SO IS THIS FED show.

How does one do a "Package Canadian Destroyer"?  Simply hooking one leg as they snap thru? 

Back in '05 (I think) I wrestled at the Nashville Fairgrounds as part of the NWA Anniversary Show/Convention.  At that time Bill Behrens was the President of the NWA, and was kinda considered a "godfather" of sorts because of his connections w/ TNA, as well handling bookings for a lot of the "super indy" guys on the periphery of TNA.  Anyway, he was the promoter of record for NWA Wildside, which at the time had pretty significant television syndication (Beherns' was in television syndication sales, by trade). 

The one thing I always hated most about watching Wildside on TV was the preponderance of skinny guys who wrestled wearing t-shirts and baggy jeans.  I swear there were at least 4-5 of them on any given show.

I like Bennett well enough. Despite his Tebow love and distaste for horror movies, I'm still driving the Ciampa bangwagon. Them trying to build their match in the title tournament through personal barbs (Ciampa) & bad jokes (Bennett) on twitter is incredibly sad.

Ridiculous. It's even more ridiculous when I think about how I used to be such a fan of the random flipfests and all the head drops and such back when I was in high school/just started college. I think the Benoit stuff and Misawa dying in the ring really turned me off of it to the point where I cringe whenever I hear about the apron moves and other super dangerous stuff. I'm sure the concussion situation becoming more prominent in the NFL also affects how I view wrestling. I get that the professional wrestling is a contact sport and injuries are gonna happen, but it's just silly what some of these guys do.

For as cranky as Cornette often comes off nowadays, he kinda has a point when he would talk about ECW and how everyone knew wrestling was fake but the ECW guys were legit hurting each other, sometimes it didn't look like they were and no one bought it anyway and it wound up having a long term negative impact on the business. I think that can be applied for the movez wrestlers of today.

All I ask for is that the DDT goes back to being a devastating move and not just 'Vintage Orton'.

Ridiculous. It's even more ridiculous when I think about how I used to be such a fan of the random flipfests and all the head drops and such back when I was in high school/just started college. I think the Benoit stuff and Misawa dying in the ring really turned me off of it to the point where I cringe whenever I hear about the apron moves and other super dangerous stuff. I'm sure the concussion situation becoming more prominent in the NFL also affects how I view wrestling. I get that the professional wrestling is a contact sport and injuries are gonna happen, but it's just silly what some of these guys do.

For as cranky as Cornette often comes off nowadays, he kinda has a point when he would talk about ECW and how everyone knew wrestling was fake but the ECW guys were legit hurting each other, sometimes it didn't look like they were and no one bought it anyway and it wound up having a long term negative impact on the business. I think that can be applied for the movez wrestlers of today.

All I ask for is that the DDT goes back to being a devastating move and not just 'Vintage Orton'.

I think part of the reason you see wrestlers do dangerous stuff is kinda two-fold.  One reason is that guys want to go out and have a memorable match, and give the fans their money's worth.  There is nothing wrong with that, you just have to be smart about it. 

The other reason, I think, is what I call the "credibility gap".  People think "wrestling is fake", so you go out to the ring to show them "just how real it can be".  ECW got over this way by having guys go out and maim each other.  The reaction is "This wrestling shit might be fake, but how the hell do you fake getting hit with a chair when his head dented the damn thing?"  The current trend of head drops and ultra stiff strikes is just another version of this - how does a guy fake landing on his fn skull?

The flippy stuff is kind of a separate issue that is tangentially related.  Fast-paced high-flying daredevil styles certainly have a place, but you can't just go 110mph and do spots and bruises with no rhyme or reason.  Guys going out and aping CMLL or NJPW aren't looking to be like Negro Casas or Tanahashi - they want to do the dives and flips and have no clue how to put it all together. 

I get that but like you said, there's a way to be smart about it and there's just too many people not being smart about it and it can be tough to watch as someone just imagining the damage potentially being done. 16 year old me loved it but 26 year old me... not so much.

And the high flying moves definitely have a place, but some rhyme or reason doesn't hurt.

MANHATTAN MAYHEM V RESULTS:

Prince Nana is announced as Nigel's "talent scout".

Silas Young def. Adam Page

Corino tried to join the commentary table, but was removed by security.

C & C Wrestle Factory def. Adrenaline Rush

Matt Taven def. Mike Mondo

Forever Hooligans def. Young Bucks

After intermission, Marshall & Evans bitch about not being booked. Nana intro's his first signees, two guys "in creepy clown masks" who unmask to reveal Homicide & Eddie Kingston.

Homicide & Kingtson def. Marshall & Evans. They then break one of Evans' fingers.

Tomasso Ciampa def. Michael Bennett in a tournament match. No Maria.

Kevin Steen def. Roderick Strong in a tournament match.

Michael Elgin def. Karl Anderson in a tournament match.

reDRagon def. American Wolves to regain the tag titles. The champs are then attacked by Homicide & Kingston who break one of O'Reilly's fingers, then *sigh* vow to destroy RoH and call themselves Outlaws Inc.

• Like 1