DVDVR Message Board

The ROH Thread

That was my first time seeing Davey Richards wrestle, and I have to say, I was expecting more of an epic clusterfuck.

I saw a Davey match at St. Louis Anarchy last month that was pretty good too. Could it be.... Could he be getting better?

The TV show this week was probably the best one on Sinclair yet. I can't remember any being better. First time in a long time I got the "old" RoH vibe.

As for the main event from tonight's show, all I can say is..."why?".

Reading the other results and I can't say I'm surprised at any of them. Even Whitmer getting injured taking a ridiculousy dumb bump isn't a big shock.

Some scattered thoughts from tonight's ROH show...London/Elgin was fantastic....The Whitmer bump was terrifying.... Wolves vs. Hooligans was exactly what you'd expect in the main event spot. I didn't mind it and thought it was fine, and Davey getting the most heat of the night for teasing a ring apron double-stomp on Romero..... Jimmy Jacobs showed up in the ring during intermission and said since ROH didn't put him in the tournament or let him sell merch. He brought a backpack and sold autographs and his own t-shirts during intermission.... Kevin Steen is still ridiculously over in Toronto.... Even Tomasso Ciampa/Silas Young was a fun match of two guys just beating the dogshit out of one another for ten minutes.

• Like 1

That was my first time seeing Davey Richards wrestle, and I have to say, I was expecting more of an epic clusterfuck.

I saw a Davey match at St. Louis Anarchy last month that was pretty good too. Could it be.... Could he be getting better?

To me and having seen Davey Wrestle tonight in Toronto it appears he is having fun in wrestling again I always that when Davey was forced to take the weight of the company on his shoulders he was terrible trying to hard and resorting to the mma and overkill stuff. But tonight he threw in the Rick Rude Hip Swivel and just seemed all around to enjoy being there and had fun in the match to say I am happy at the result of the tonights match would be crazy but I do hope we can continue seeing the fun-loving Davey Richards I have begun to notice in the last couple monthes.

Some scattered thoughts from tonight's ROH show...London/Elgin was fantastic....The Whitmer bump was terrifying.... Wolves vs. Hooligans was exactly what you'd expect in the main event spot. I didn't mind it and thought it was fine, and Davey getting the most heat of the night for teasing a ring apron double-stomp on Romero..... Jimmy Jacobs showed up in the ring during intermission and said since ROH didn't put him in the tournament or let him sell merch. He brought a backpack and sold autographs and his own t-shirts during intermission.... Kevin Steen is still ridiculously over in Toronto.... Even Tomasso Ciampa/Silas Young was a fun match of two guys just beating the dogshit out of one another for ten minutes.

Tonights show was awesome from the pre-show autograph signing all the way to the end. The card was not in the order I expected going in but the opener was good It was brought down by the fact most of the crowd had no idea who Adam PAge was and the match suffered because of it. The BJ Whitmer bump was one of the most horrifying bumps I have ever seen in 10 years as a serious wrestling fan. I was truely and honestly scared for him. The results of the show were pretty well as expected I had hoped for a different outcome in a couple of matches but thats always the case so all around a really fun show good environment when the usual drunken morons weren't being overzealous but that can said about most crowds. I look forward to ROH coming back in May

Except for Suicide King of Spades (who was the first DVDVR messageboard peep I've met), who was a totally cool dude that I'd totally be happy to call a friend, FUCK that place was filled with people that make me embarrassed to be a "wrestling fan". Going to a WWE event, the idiots are part of the masses. Going to a smaller event like this, the idiocy is magnified. The actual show was amazing...I'll comment more later. 

I

Who decided that a piledriver on the apron was a good idea for the 3rd match of the show? And why is he still employed?

Stop it with the fucking apron spots. This is the second injury due to it and there's no real upside besides the audience going "oooh."

• Like 1

The TV show this week was probably the best one on Sinclair yet. I can't remember any being better. First time in a long time I got the "old" RoH vibe. 

That's because ROH found a venue that looks decent enough for TV and the crowd was plenty hot.  I think Providence should be considered for something a little more than an annual visit.

Who decided that a piledriver on the apron was a good idea for the 3rd match of the show? And why is he still employed?

Stop it with the fucking apron spots. This is the second injury due to it and there's no real upside besides the audience going "oooh."

Co-sign.  How fucking stupid are they to do a spot like that so soon after the London scare?

The only safe apron spot I've seen is the DDT, which they even do in WWE, because the guy delivering it basically steps down to the floor and the guy taking it takes a faceplant.  It looks worse than it is.  Simple and safe and it always gets a big reaction.

I've heard from several dudes that the apron powerbomb is a pretty safe move. (Like, the one from the floor to the apron, which looks hella nasty since the guy taking it lands back first on the edge.)

Because the booker doesn't want to upset the wrestlers by putting limitations on them?  That's all I can think. 

If it was the finish and the booker cleared it, then it should be the booker's fault. If (for some god awful reason) it wasn't the finish and they didn't bother clearing the spot ahead of time, then it would be on the shoulders of Whitmer and Bennett for even coming up with such a spot.

However an update has been released stating his CT scan came back negative and he can be released from hospital today or tomorrow.

If it was the finish and the booker cleared it, then it should be the booker's fault. If (for some god awful reason) it wasn't the finish and they didn't bother clearing the spot ahead of time, then it would be on the shoulders of Whitmer and Bennett for even coming up with such a spot.

I mean, if it was the finish, and it was cleared by the guy in charge, he is only responsible so much.  The guy has to have some faith in his workers to be able to go out and perform.  Injuries happen, yes - this is a contact sport.  There is a difference between "shit happens" and recklessness.  Based on the short video I saw (and the picture), to me it looked like Bennett gave it a little too much, because he was trying to keep them both on the apron - That's why his legs are straight out, and not bent.  At the same time, BJ isn't tucking his fn head.  If this was a spot that someone with the book thought up, and the two guys didn't want to do it, and it was forced on them, then yeah, it is 100% on the him, and not Bennett/Whitmer. 

Now, if this was just a move these guys did for the sake of doing it, these guys should probably be taken off the booking sheets for a few shows until they learn some fn psychology. 

• Like 1