DVDVR Message Board

The ROH Thread

I figured I'd restart this, since the old one seemed to work out okay.

I reviewed this week's ROH here:
http://prowresblog.blogspot.com/2013/07/ring-of-honor-tv-7132013-results-and.html

Overall thoughts: I didn't like this one much. There were way too many people getting involved in matches and the matches weren't that great. Skip it.

Some shots from the show:
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

• Like 1

Jesus, there are so many new guys / no names there its starting to feel like a backyard fed with the money to rent out a National Guard Armory four times a year.

I've enjoyed almost all of ROH's new talent. Matt Taven is probably the best of the new crop, unless you count ACH. I really think Taven is the next Marty Jannetty. Tadarius Thomas is really unique and does stuff that has never been done before in wrestling and C&C are a fun highflying team. Of course, we can't forget Silas Young who is the nephew of Stan Hansen and is really awesome.

New talent is a good thing. You can never have enough of it and it never hurts to try and push new faces. ROH needs to worry about their future and by getting a new bunch of guys, they are ready. NJPW is what it is today because of new talent.

I'm actually pretty interested to see how they book this tourney. I'd love to see the last guy named be Low-Ki. I see he worked this weekend but I'm not sure if Ki wants to work that much these days. I see with 13 named there is no Davey or Eddie Edwards yet, I'd guess those 2 would be in.

I think they should do London vs Kendrick at some point in this. Also who gets pushed harder, Cole or Elgin?

I've enjoyed almost all of ROH's new talent. Matt Taven is probably the best of the new crop, unless you count ACH. I really think Taven is the next Marty Jannetty. Tadarius Thomas is really unique and does stuff that has never been done before in wrestling and C&C are a fun highflying team. Of course, we can't forget Silas Young who is the nephew of Stan Hansen and is really awesome.

New talent is a good thing. You can never have enough of it and it never hurts to try and push new faces. ROH needs to worry about their future and by getting a new bunch of guys, they are ready. NJPW is what it is today because of new talent.

I don't deny that this is true, but I think the thing is that a lot of old ROH fans feel that the new talent is inferior to the talent under the original regime. And another thing, when ROH would lose talent it seemed like it would be replenished with other internet darlings who a lot of the fans were already familiar with from different companies. It's not ROH's fault that there doesn't seem to be as many indy darlings as there was in the beginning of the century, but I think that's where the gripe stems from. When ROH lost AJ, Daniels, Red and a couple of others, they were replaced by Generation Next. When ROH lost that crop+Joe and Homicide, they were replaced by guys like Steen, Generico and some other Chikara folk, the key being that the replacements were all names in other independents and it was exciting to finally see those guys in ROH. That just doesn't seem to be the case anymore.

I dunno if any of them would fit in, but I'm surprised there hasn't been some Chikara people showing up in ROH. I'm sure a show or two a month, maybe, for Wrestling is Nifty doesn't pay the bills.

Someone tell R.D. Evans that QT Marshall could really use a majorette and an ex-football star as back up

I'm terrible at the internet and can't find the 14 named entrants for the tournament.  Anybody know?  Apparently the Wolves are staying out of the tournament to chase reDRagon.  So...that's a plus?  I haven't watched ROH since a few random shows at the beginning of 2011, but the tournament might get me to tune back in.  I love a title tournament.

So far they've announced Matt Taven, Mike Bennett, Michael Elgin, Brian Kendrick, Jay Lethal, Karl Anderson, Kevin Steen, Paul London, Roderick Strong, Sonjay Dutt, Tommaso Ciampa, BJ Whitmer, Adam Cole and the winner of Silas Young vs. Adam Page on July 27th with one more being announced later today. The last slot will be the winner of a fan vote between  ACH, Tadarius Thomas, Cedric Alexander, Caprice Coleman, & QT Marshall.

That actually sounds like a pretty good tournament.  I don't know much about Taven and Bennett, but there's a good amount of veteran talent in the pool, and I was always that one guy who un-ironically cheered BJ Whitmer, even before the Jacobs feud.  I'm sure he'll go out in the first round, but I may make an effort to start watching the show.  I suppose Ciampa is a leading candidate to win the whole thing?

That actually sounds like a pretty good tournament. I don't know much about Taven and Bennett, but there's a good amount of veteran talent in the pool, and I was always that one guy who un-ironically cheered BJ Whitmer, even before the Jacobs feud. I'm sure he'll go out in the first round, but I may make an effort to start watching the show. I suppose Ciampa is a leading candidate to win the whole thing?

I'd say Elgin is.

So with the brackets out, I'm guessing Elgin goes through Paul London, Karl Anderson, and Roderick Strong in succession to make him look like a god before losing to new heel champ Adam Cole. Because if there's one thing RoH knows how to do, it's keep their groomed ace from the title until nobody cares anymore.

• Like 3