DVDVR Message Board

The ROH Thread

I'm going through some old ROH DVDs and stumbled across the American Super Juniors tournament, what were the circumstances that lead to Kendo Kashin for one night being the greatest heel in company history?

I love Kashin but those fans weren't going to react in any way other than viewing it as a personal affront to them as wrestling fans. The whole thing was incredibly bizarre, it was like ROH was trolling their audience.

The winner was picked by New Japan, not RoH. That show also marked the end of New Japan and RoH's working agreement or whatever it was they had, which then directly led to RoH aligning with NOAH and Kobashi vs. Joe, so you know, kinda worked out.

Weirdest part was that New Japan didn't even live up to there side. It was like the entire thing was just New Japan telling RoH to screw off or something.

The talk at the time online was that someone from ROH was booked to win the tournament, and then on very short notice NJPW decided they wanted to give Kashin a push with this Dragon Soldier B gimmick and that he had to win the tourney instead. I remember bitching about the show on the ROH boards the next day and Gabe replying and basically saying "yeah, I'm never giving another promotion creative control of my show again" which was very unusual for him to admit any faults to the fans on there. I remember the tag title decision match being really good though and the show was pretty good aside from the goofy booking.

It was a surreal experience though, driving out to Asbury Park through that awful storm, the surprising way the tournament played out, and the weird venue the show was at that was probably too nice for ROH at the time.

Nothing to do with ROH, but I worked on a show with Jay Lethal at UpRoar Pro Wrestling in New Port Richey Florida. He is a very nice guy.

Cool.

Tell him to stop doing the Handspring Ace Crusher as a finisher. It's goofy when he runs to the ropes to do it instead of using it to counter the Irish Whip to the ropes.

• Like 2

Oh snap I'm remembering all the drama with the show & Venue. Dudes were scared to go to Asbury park and people were posting war stories about how they were robbed and/or beaten on the ROH message board. Hilarious.

Dudes were pussies.  Asbury Park ain't that bad,  considering RoH was regularly running fucking ELIZABETH at the time (granted it was like, the nice part of Elizabeth with the Ikea and Jersey Gardens, but still, ELIZABETH!!!)

This talk of the Asbury Park ROH show reminds me all of the ROH board members clutching their purses and rosary beads when Gabe announced they were going to Roxbury. The number of threads that were started talking about proper safety protocol while standing in line and how best to avoid eye contact with black people were astronomical. 

• Like 1

This talk of the Asbury Park ROH show reminds me all of the ROH board members clutching their purses and rosary beads when Gabe announced they were going to Roxbury. The number of threads that were started talking about proper safety protocol while standing in line and how best to avoid eye contact with black people were astronomical. 

Considering the neighborhood RoH *started* in, this is fucking hysterical.

Oh snap I'm remembering all the drama with the show & Venue. Dudes were scared to go to Asbury park and people were posting war stories about how they were robbed and/or beaten on the ROH message board. Hilarious.

Dudes were pussies. Asbury Park ain't that bad, considering RoH was regularly running fucking ELIZABETH at the time (granted it was like, the nice part of Elizabeth with the Ikea and Jersey Gardens, but still, ELIZABETH!!!)

The show was supposed to be at the RexPlex, but the story I had always heard was that Ikea doubled their lease and their insurance costs went through the roof, so the show was moved to Asbury Park after RexPlex closed. The first ROH show in Edison was Final Battle '05. I know a lot of people didn't like the Edison venue, but I did. I also liked how close it was for me, about 20 minutes from home.

All I know is I crossed 8 mile road to go to ROH in Detroit and lived to tell about it.

I remember the RoH board FREAKING out the same way about the Detroit venue. I was living a mile away from the fairgrounds at the time, and tried to explain that some of the priciest houses in the Metro Detroit area were right across the damn street. That area is SAFE. Fuck 8 mile. Ya gotta go a couple miles south to Highland Park before shit starts getting weird. 

I haven't watched ROH in a loooooooong time (I caught it pretty regularly in the HDNet days, from which the production value has significantly decreased) and while I was flipping through channels just now I turned it on. To my astonishment, out comes a skinny 95 lb. kid named Cheeseburger and he gets murdered in a squash match against a barbarian-looking dude named Hanson. WHAT THE FUCK DID I JUST WATCH. Is this really still ROH? Delirious has the book, right? 

A little late to the party but I just watched the Aries-Homicide World Title match from the Best of the American Super Juniors on youtube and the first thing that is noticeable is all the empty seats in the stands. Not a bad match what so ever theres some real fun brawling and Smokes is great as an obnoxious manager. The New japan ring canvas is a pretty cool touch too. Cant find any of the Dragon Solider B matches from the show though.

I haven't watched ROH in a loooooooong time (I caught it pretty regularly in the HDNet days, from which the production value has significantly decreased) and while I was flipping through channels just now I turned it on. To my astonishment, out comes a skinny 95 lb. kid named Cheeseburger and he gets murdered in a squash match against a barbarian-looking dude named Hanson. WHAT THE FUCK DID I JUST WATCH. Is this really still ROH? Delirious has the book, right? 

Yeah that was my reaction when I finally got ROH TV and stumbled across a match with a big heavyset dude named Kongo. Cheeseburger blew my mind when I saw him last week. It just further makes me think that there is now very little, if any, crossover with the ROH fanbase of yesteryear and today. The ROH fans booed Kashin out of the building for getting heel heat so I can't imagine they'd stand for Kongo or Cheeseburger.

I'm going through some old ROH DVDs and stumbled across the American Super Juniors tournament, what were the circumstances that lead to Kendo Kashin for one night being the greatest heel in company history?

I love Kashin but those fans weren't going to react in any way other than viewing it as a personal affront to them as wrestling fans. The whole thing was incredibly bizarre, it was like ROH was trolling their audience.

The winner was picked by New Japan, not RoH. That show also marked the end of New Japan and RoH's working agreement or whatever it was they had, which then directly led to RoH aligning with NOAH and Kobashi vs. Joe, so you know, kinda worked out.

Weirdest part was that New Japan didn't even live up to there side. It was like the entire thing was just New Japan telling RoH to screw off or something.

I was at that show and it was a totally weird vibe going on the whole night. I remember enjoying the show, having a great moment when two guys in front of us started shouting bad Fast Eddie blind jokes and Eddies Dad was sitting with us. I had the pleasure of telling the two douchebags this and watching cringe reactions, some drunk took a swing at Punk and Punk went after him, the ROH staff guys told me they were all beat and dreading a long drive to the Mid West or something the next day, and there were insane winds coming off the ocean. Oh and Asbury Park was especially depressing to drive through. The show was originally supposed to be at the Rexplex, which was a place with a positive energy and this was just the opposite, haha.

ROH did a legit 1000+ in Pittsburgh? Wow. What's their Chicago attendance like?

Yep. It was rather packed and had tons more people than before. It's the first time ROH has ever run the Pittsburgh area proper as it was right downtown and it looked like it paid off.