DVDVR Message Board

The ROH Thread

That was more of a piledriver than a Styles Clash.

Here's 2 more botches of the Styles Clash. They look worse than the Strong botch.

So the latest Kayfabe Commentaries interview with Cornette paints a pretty sad powers-that-be picture as far as Ring of Honor goes. Apparently some idiot who does the merchandise went to HR in Sinclair which put the stop to Adam Pearce returning as color commentator in 2011, over some heated words said when Pearce was booker in 2009. Along with a bunch of other idiot decisions made by the "office guy" Really fascinating and fucked up insight into how Ring of Honor was (is?) being run.

So the latest Kayfabe Commentaries interview with Cornette paints a pretty sad powers-that-be picture as far as Ring of Honor goes. Apparently some idiot who does the merchandise went to HR in Sinclair which put the stop to Adam Pearce returning as color commentator in 2011, over some heated words said when Pearce was booker in 2009. Along with a bunch of other idiot decisions made by the "office guy" Really fascinating and fucked up insight into how Ring of Honor was (is?) being run.

The merchandise guy (Ross Abrams) was actually fired recently for embezzlement, and the office guy (Greg Gilleland) has moved to a different position in SBG.

I have no idea about their replacements though.

If I remember correctly Mike Johnson reported Pearce was going to start at Final Battle 2011 and then he didn't.

I feel like the old DOI.net site always insinuated that either Ross or Syd (maybe both) were shady and screwing fans in ticket sales and/or stealing money. I always assumed it was BS since DOI had a pretty big anti-ROH bias after you know who left the company in '04, but maybe they were right all along.

I feel like the old DOI.net site always insinuated that either Ross or Syd (maybe both) were shady and screwing fans in ticket sales and/or stealing money. I always assumed it was BS since DOI had a pretty big anti-ROH bias after you know who left the company in '04, but maybe they were right all along.

Is DOI not a thing anymore? That site was great as far as paranoid & obsessed ramblings on pro wrestling goes.

The one to Stevie is especially cringe-worthy, given his history of neck problems.

IIRC, Stevie claimed he did it intentionally as a callback to it.

Wow.

Only in wrestling.

What a lot of people don't know about this match is that there was a young kid named David Riechard in the Impact Zone that night who went home disappointed from not seeing all his favorite injuries.

• Like 1

The opening match was a good hard hitting match. I like Kingo its kinda cheesy but I'm partial to big foreign monster in wrestling. We need more of them. They didn't try nothing fancy they keep it pretty simple and it worked.

Elgins promo wasn't bad he's a man pissed of and he showed it taking out Kongo. Hero coming out was cool him and AJ r wasting no time getting back on the Indy scene. Steen is really cool. The audio on the mics could be better but shit, what can ya do? All three men got their points across they r all gunning for the World Title and set up tonight's main.

I really like Jay Lethals promotional spots during the commercials. Be even better if he was still Black Machismo during these spots but that's niether here not there.

Somebody called Bill Daly a pussy when he said he wasn't gonna compete tonight it got picked up and it was pretty funny. Mike Posey and Corey Hollis, tag partners r wrestling each other in the Top Prospect turny now. Hollis crossbodys Posey on the outside pretty early on. I like their tag name Alabama Attitude. Hollis wins with a strong back elbow. Decent match there was cool spots like Posey doing a top rope leg drop.

Nice recap of the C&C split. Which set up a Caprice Coleman singles match after the break. Hes wrestling Jay Lethal. Who almost fell when he climbed the rope before the match but caught himself. Outside dive number two of the night with Lethal rocketing towards Coleman on the outside. There was a bunch of cool spots throughout the match like you'd except. Coleman keeps up with Lethal throughout the match. Coleman reverses the Lethal Injection into a Three Amigos type spot which only gets a two count. Jay lands the Lethal Injection for the 3. I liked the match fast paced. Lethal puts Coleman over as a tough competitor and then accepts Ciampo's challenge to his TV title.

Jay Briscoe challenges Adam Cole next week for his Real World Championship. I like Jay as the self appointed World Champion. His belt looks cool and he looks crazy enough to believe he is still World Champ cuz he technically never lost it. And he gets away with it cuz he looks like he could kick anybody's ass.

It's Main Event time!!! Chris Hero vs Kevin Steen. Hero gets a pardon the pun a heros welcome with streamers and shit. Crowd chanting this is awesome seemed a little premature. That's a lot of pressure to put on two guys before they even lock up. They take it slow in the opening minutes. Steen is such a great dickhead. Match picks up after the commercial with brawling outside of the ring. Dueling chants of course. Hero kicks Steen straight in the face. Hero fights out of the Package Pile Driver. Keen does a top rope spot. The crowd chants this is awesome again and it's more appropriate now as they've done some cool shit. Whitmer Jacobs and Strong come out The Decade is what they r calling themselves. Hero fights them off, Steen takes advantage and The opening match was a good hard hitting match. Really good match fun brawling throughout.

Showed ended with Cliff Compton returning and choking out Steen. So I guess it's Hero vs The Decade and Steen vs Compton. Not a bad show this week. The Top Prospect matches weren't bad. Lethal-Coleman & Steen-Hero were really good matches. They also pumped the shit out of AJ returning in 3 weeks throughout the program.

I'm going through some old ROH DVDs and stumbled across the American Super Juniors tournament, what were the circumstances that lead to Kendo Kashin for one night being the greatest heel in company history?

I love Kashin but those fans weren't going to react in any way other than viewing it as a personal affront to them as wrestling fans. The whole thing was incredibly bizarre, it was like ROH was trolling their audience.

I'm going through some old ROH DVDs and stumbled across the American Super Juniors tournament, what were the circumstances that lead to Kendo Kashin for one night being the greatest heel in company history?

I love Kashin but those fans weren't going to react in any way other than viewing it as a personal affront to them as wrestling fans. The whole thing was incredibly bizarre, it was like ROH was trolling their audience.

The winner was picked by New Japan, not RoH. That show also marked the end of New Japan and RoH's working agreement or whatever it was they had, which then directly led to RoH aligning with NOAH and Kobashi vs. Joe, so you know, kinda worked out.

Weirdest part was that New Japan didn't even live up to there side. It was like the entire thing was just New Japan telling RoH to screw off or something.

• Like 1

Gabe burying Kenshin on the comentary makes it even weirder.

On the positives, Bryan vs Spanky and Roderick vs Gibson were both great matches.

ALSO, JIMMY RAVE TRIES TO DISFIGURE PUNK'S BELLY TATTOO~! and that leads to an amazing CM Punk promo where his belly is "censored". I remember Aries vs Homicide being meh-ish.

• Like 1

KONGO looks like someone you'd see if you paid $20 for a show at a VFW Hall. He definitely needs to paint his whole face and get better gear. Elgin picking him up and dumping him like a sack of s**t didn't help him much either. I admit that I don't follow the Indy scene but if that's what's out there for ROH to choose from, it's no wonder I lost interest. 

Well, at least Roderick and Hero are doing both promotions so things seem to be loosening a bit. They won't be pushed as a main eventer in any fed but guess what, they'll get more work!

PWG was the winner getting the chance to book the "forbidden" matches that proved that the talent don't give a shit about politics: they don't care if it's the ROH or the DGUSA guy doing the job, they don't try to make each other look bad, they don't do stupid finishers, etc. With WWE hiring lots of DGUSA guys I think that the ROH crew will grow unsatisfied with their contracts. They didn't let Elgin be a part of the AIW iPPV, Cole is out of CZW, everybody is out of FWE... and the sad thing is that I don't think that Delirious cares about this, seems to be a Sinclair/Cornette thing. 

Kongo is a Bob Evans trainee.  Not sure what indy work he does in the Northeast, but the 2 of them have been driving down to VA every month or 2 for the past year to work for Fusion.  The booker LOVES Kongo for some reason.  I guess he's a nice guy in the back, does what he's told in the ring & the old school mentality of the booker & owners of the group is that they want 80s style larger than life characters.  I'm not usually one to get hung up on appearance either but I take one look at that guy and want no part of him in ROH or headlining the local indy.  To me he's perfectly fine in like match 2 on a card but them pushing him into the title picture in Fusion was enough to get me to swear it off.