DVDVR Message Board

ALL IN - 9/1/2018 - Post-Show Thread

Yeah, everyone wants to go after Marty and Okada, but honestly, those guys should have had that much time. It's the placement of MJF and Cross on the main card and how much time Lethal and Flip got that was as puzzling to me. Hell, even cut back some time from Page and Joey. I'm sure their bodies could have used one less near death spot.

• Like 2

https://www.f4wonline.com/indies/all-zero-hour-draws-nearly-200000-viewers-wgn-america-265211

Saturday's All In: Zero Hour broadcast, which aired on WGN America at 6 p.m. Eastern time before the All In main card started on pay-per-view, Fite TV, and HonorClub, averaged 196,000 viewers.

It's difficult to say what this means other than that it was the highest rated show on that station on that day. It fell almost exactly in between what a typical Impact episode on Pop TV and a Lucha Underground episode on the El Rey Network would do, but both of those shows air in prime time. Last week's Impact drew 225,000 viewers, and their lowest total for the year is 168,000.

Zero Hour averaged a 0.08 rating in the important 18-49 demo and finished 85th for the day in that demo on all of cable TV.

The Zero Hour portion of All In featured the Over Budget Battle Royale -- which was won by Flip Gordon as he advanced to challenge for Jay Lethal's ROH World Championship later in the night -- and The Briscoes vs. Frankie Kazarian & Scorpio Sky.

Saturday was also the kickoff for the college football season. Games airing on ESPN, FOX, CBS, and ABC averaged a combined 10 million viewers airing directly opposite Zero Hour.

31 minutes ago, Brian Fowler said:

Wasn't Page/Janella the other match that went long? Or maybe the Ryan stuff post match.

Supposedly. Page/Janella, if you include the post match, was almost the exact same length as Okada/Scurll, and I don't think it needed all that. The latter is getting the discussion because Scurll didn't come out for the Bullet Club curtain call, and people are either assuming or reporting (or something in between) that his absence indicated tension. (Fwiw, I thought getting a "real" Okada singles match was worth it.)

Edit: Or maybe let's just forget all about this, if Marty is telling the truth.

Normally I don’t like to reveal the curtain back too much, but in this case I will. No we went a minute over - people saying like 14 minutes over, no, no, no, no. The show ran 14 minutes over, so a bunch of the other matches went over... but obviously I guess our match was crucified because obviously we were the match on before last...

Just before I went out, Nick Jackson said to me and Okada, ‘Guys, whatever you do, don’t cut anything. Just do whatever you do, even if we go on dark tonight, it’s fine. Just do what you need to do.’

As far as the curtain call, none of us knew what was going on! I was in the semi-main match, so I finished my match, I’ve cooled down, whatever - blahblahblahblah. I was in the shower. I didn’t have a clue!

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Beech27 said:

Supposedly. Page/Janella, if you include the post match, was almost the exact same length as Okada/Scurll, and I don't think it needed all that. The latter is getting the discussion because Scurll didn't come out for the Bullet Club curtain call, and people are either assuming or reporting (or something in between) that his absence indicated tension. (Fwiw, I thought getting a "real" Okada singles match was worth it.)

Edit: Or maybe let's just forget all about this, if Marty is telling the truth.

So basically the show was 14 minutes over but I guess that was misinterpreted and reported as Marty and Okada went 14 minutes over and now they are getting all the heat for the show’s timing issues. I was surprised at how JR just shat on them  especially considering his praise for Okada in the past.

Hopefully the Bucks and Cody come out and clear their name and absolve them of responsibility.

• Like 1

My main thought while watching was "Why is this match getting so much time?" Really the only matches that should have gone longer than 10 where the main, Scurll/Okada, Omega/Penta and the NWA title. Once they decided that the ROH title was going to be a comedy match, it should not have gone longer than 8.

Great event, but definitely bloated, not surprising if they wanted to make sure everyone who made the trip got a nice spot. Scurll definitely came out with the biggest boost. I hate the finger breaking gimmick (its pretty much an impossible spot to sell for an entire match, so why bother?), but I have done a complete 180 on him in the last 6 months or so.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Craig H said:

Yeah, everyone wants to go after Marty and Okada, but honestly, those guys should have had that much time. It's the placement of MJF and Cross on the main card and how much time Lethal and Flip got that was as puzzling to me. Hell, even cut back some time from Page and Joey. I'm sure their bodies could have used one less near death spot.

Especially when it's all going to get overshadowed by Penis Druids in the post-match angle anyway.

• Thanks 1

I am such a big fucking baby that I shed so many tears watching the beginning of the BTE this week. Like, what an accomplishment. What a huge, huge, huge accomplishment and I couldn't be happier for all them to have pulled this off.

Again, having finished All In, thinking those last three matches were all amazing for different reasons, and then seeing BTE, I can't help but feel like this was the biggest celebration and love letter to what pro wrestling is and should be. To be nearly 38 now and to have watched wrestling for 34 or 33 years this is just special. 

• Like 10

Quick question that red headed gentleman who called Cody's match, who is he? I assume he's a professional wrestling commentary but by the exchange him and Cody had on the latest episode of BTE they seemingly have a history. What promotion does he call? and how does he know Cody?

19 hours ago, Craig H said:

I am such a big fucking baby that I shed so many tears watching the beginning of the BTE this week. Like, what an accomplishment. What a huge, huge, huge accomplishment and I couldn't be happier for all them to have pulled this off.

Again, having finished All In, thinking those last three matches were all amazing for different reasons, and then seeing BTE, I can't help but feel like this was the biggest celebration and love letter to what pro wrestling is and should be. To be nearly 38 now and to have watched wrestling for 34 or 33 years this is just special. 

Couldn't agree more, everything from the weeks leading up to it to the show itself is a reminder of why I love wrestling so damn much.  But past the wrestling aspect you have two brothers who started off dirt poor in wrestling and had to hustle their way to get to where they are.  And then there's Cody who was born into this and had his run in WWE.  But he gave that up so he could see what was out there and from day one had that hustle and drive.  At first many were skeptical about him touring the indies because he was a "WWE guy", but especially once he joined Bullet Club he more than proved that he belonged.  What they accomplished is a result of their drive for something more and it paid off beautifully.  It really hit me hard when Cody came out for his match and seeing how much all this meant to him, but watching in a public place I had to stop myself.  But say what you want about him booking himself to win the title but he more than earned that.  He'll be a bigger name attached to the title and it was all worth it seeing the reaction.  I couldn't be happier for him and the Bucks and they deserve all the success they're getting.

With that sappiness out of the way I thoroughly enjoyed the show.  I ended up having to rewatch most of it as I was a Jimmy's and the sounds was at least 10 seconds off (and worse at time)  But at least I was at the same table as @ivpvideos so it was cool seeing him and his crew there.  My least favorite was Cross/MJF but even that was good in establishing MJF as a glorious heel.  Favorite match was the NWA title match due to the emotion of it all but man did I also love Omega/Pentagon.  The other matches super fun.  And for all the talk about the timing of the last two matches I thought they worked out quite well.  Marty had no shot against Okada but the longer the match went the more people were starting to get on board with the possibility of him winning.  He looked like a million bucks and I hope he gets more opportunities at these kind of matches.  And the main was always going to be a "get your shit in" type of match.  That's what I wanted from this considering all six guys and that's exactly what I got.  I'm hoping we get a rematch and for the love of everything somebody setup Rey/Ibushi immediately.  While it sucked they had to rush through it all verbally the nonstop action made for a great time.  I feel bad that Marty and Okada got demonized for the time issue especially considering that wasn't warranted after all.

• Like 3

11 hours ago, NikoBaltimore said:

Couldn't agree more, everything from the weeks leading up to it to the show itself is a reminder of why I love wrestling so damn much.  But past the wrestling aspect you have two brothers who started off dirt poor in wrestling and had to hustle their way to get to where they are.  And then there's Cody who was born into this and had his run in WWE.  But he gave that up so he could see what was out there and from day one had that hustle and drive.  At first many were skeptical about him touring the indies because he was a "WWE guy", but especially once he joined Bullet Club he more than proved that he belonged.  What they accomplished is a result of their drive for something more and it paid off beautifully.  It really hit me hard when Cody came out for his match and seeing how much all this meant to him, but watching in a public place I had to stop myself.  But say what you want about him booking himself to win the title but he more than earned that.  He'll be a bigger name attached to the title and it was all worth it seeing the reaction.  I couldn't be happier for him and the Bucks and they deserve all the success they're getting.

With that sappiness out of the way I thoroughly enjoyed the show.  I ended up having to rewatch most of it as I was a Jimmy's and the sounds was at least 10 seconds off (and worse at time)  But at least I was at the same table as @ivpvideos so it was cool seeing him and his crew there.  My least favorite was Cross/MJF but even that was good in establishing MJF as a glorious heel.  Favorite match was the NWA title match due to the emotion of it all but man did I also love Omega/Pentagon.  The other matches super fun.  And for all the talk about the timing of the last two matches I thought they worked out quite well.  Marty had no shot against Okada but the longer the match went the more people were starting to get on board with the possibility of him winning.  He looked like a million bucks and I hope he gets more opportunities at these kind of matches.  And the main was always going to be a "get your shit in" type of match.  That's what I wanted from this considering all six guys and that's exactly what I got.  I'm hoping we get a rematch and for the love of everything somebody setup Rey/Ibushi immediately.  While it sucked they had to rush through it all verbally the nonstop action made for a great time.  I feel bad that Marty and Okada got demonized for the time issue especially considering that wasn't warranted after all.

Total small world moment. It was fun to watch a show with a crowd getting into it like I did back in the day for WWE PPV’s before the network. 

• Like 1