DVDVR Message Board

ALL IN - 9/1/2018 - Post-Show Thread

I do think 5 hours is too long for any PPV but it worked for ALL IN big time because there was enough variety, there was always something interesting going on.  You had the battle royal and kickoff section which featured some old timers and then you had a celebrity match,  the Ring of Honor section of the show,  the women's part of the show,  the NWA portion of the show,  the dick portion of the show and then all the Japan/Bullet Club/Lucha stuff. 

It wasn't like watching Bobby Roode vs. Lashley and then going straight into The "B" Team vs. Titus Worldwide where none of the guys are particularly over and the writing for all the characters has been terrible and the matches have been done over a dozen times on free TV.  That is a chore. 

If these ALL IN PPVs are going to continue on this was a pretty damn good blueprint. 

• Like 4

This show didn't seem anywhere near as long as the average episode of Raw.  I'll admit I've seen barely any of the podcasts or other background videos so the recap packages didn't drag like the overabundance they show at the average WWE PPV.  If they continue to put these events on, which I hope they do, I hope they stick to a similar formula.  Just keep it to once a year and maybe do what they should do with Wrestlemania and just make it a two day event.  Two nights of wrestling plus the conventions and other events going on would definitely draw and they could do two four hour shows.  

My biggest takeaway from this thread (and honestly a lot of threads here) is that I never bothered with twitter.

• Like 1

I watched the show in pieces throughout the day yesterday and I enjoyed it. I thought the last match was the right length and style to follow up after Marty/Okada and Omega/Penta, a high flying sprint was a good kind of match, it would have been better if they knew they were only going 12 and were able to plan better so things didn't seem obviously rushed but what ever. Bandido is going to be a big star and probably is on WWE's radar now if he wasn't before. It had to go on last because you want the Elite to be victorious at the end and Kenny wouldn't have worked cause he was getting Jericho'd after his match. 

The Jericho attack was wonderful too. I didn't expect him to show up at All In and he does and it was a real surprise thought the set up was fantastic.

Marty/Okada was a really good match, did it go too long? Maybe but Okada was game to make Marty look great and Scrull came out looking really good. I haven't been big on his in ring stuff but his character work and promo ability have been there and he came out of All In looking like a bigger star, good for him. I hope there isn't any heat on him for them going long of the members of the Elite he's always felt to be the least but the show has built him up and should make him a bigger star. (Though I have wondered if he is WWE bound with the 205 taunting by Okada and the moment in BTE a few months back when Marty was the "only member of 2Sweet the big record label was signing" before tonight I would have welcomed him going to WWE but Okada helped me think I want him to stick in NJPW for longer)

Page/Bad Boy was a nutty nutty match I don't know what was a dumber bump the burning hammer on a ladder or the rite of passage through a table (off a ladder). Page superkicking Penelope was a jarring moment for me though, I've gotten so used to no intergender violence in wrestling that it was truly shocking to me and took me out of the match for a second. I for one loved Ryan's resurr-erection it was a wonderfully silly moment that was a great parody of the Undertaker and WWE theatrics which the All In crowd would eat up.  

Aldis/Cody was better than I expected and a nice moment for Cody. Aldis is a guy who has always seemed to me like a wrestler who almost has everything you want in a wrestler but has a ceiling of upper-mid card. To me he is a text book example of a "good hand". 

The Women's match was really good and I thought Daniels/Green Arrow guy was better than it should have been for someone's first singles match but Daniels is a true pro and knows what he is doing. 

I didn't watch Lethal/Flip cause neither does much for me. 

10 hours ago, West Newbury Bad Boy said:

Random thought while watching Raw: I noticed the cameramen a lot during All In and not at all during Raw.

Something I'd like to imagine Cody and the Bucks improve upon in their future endeavors. 

My wife was passively watching All In, because she had no choice, and pointed that out to me. Once I noticed it, I couldn't un-notice it. 

• Like 1

I've been trying to watch this little by little and I've made me way up to the Kenny vs Penta match. Incredible show so far. This is what a crowd pleasing event should be and it has felt like a complete celebration of pro wrestling.

• Like 3

There's no reason why they can't do a rematch of the main with some kind of no time limit stip. Or no stip at all really. Everyone knows they had to go home early, just promise the crowd it won't happen again and that they're going all out this time. Wrestling is built off of rematches. People will pay for it a second time.

• Like 1

The Ryan thing was pretty much the most hilarious and (literally) perversely brilliant thing ever. How sour a person do you have to be to not have laughed your ass off watching that? Just as satire of Undertaker it was great.

• Like 2

56 minutes ago, sabremike said:

The Ryan thing was pretty much the most hilarious and (literally) perversely brilliant thing ever. How sour a person do you have to be to not have laughed your ass off watching that? Just as satire of Undertaker it was great.

Then, there's a lot of sour people out there. Either that, or they watched it, laughed, but want to seem like they're above laughing at a parade of men dressed like penii, then will defend the Undertaker stuff as not being hokey. Jim Morrison said it best, people are strange.

• Like 3

I can't think of a show that used legends and veterans so well. It was reverential without overshadowing anyone. Also, we're so used to WWE bringing back 18,000 people for nostalgia pops that I kind of overlooked how it shows how much respect people must have for these guys to be apart of this in cameo and secondary roles.

Yeah, I know the "what's the pay, brother" thing was at play for some of them but that show had a lot of legendary star power for an unaffiliated show. 

Everything about this show was so unlike conventional wrestling ideology. 

• Like 4

8 minutes ago, Matt D said:

Maybe next year they can come closer to reaching Negro Casas numbers.

I asked Sam how the attendance was for his 2 hair matches and he said Panther was higher than Casas, due largely to it being New Years.

Jim Ross from the Ross Report on the main event losing time:

“The last match was cut from 28 minutes to 12, that's because the guys before them were trying to get their own shit in and they went over. It's not funny really, because all they did was rob the main event and matches later on of time, and those matches are in those spots for a reason. I just found that to be selfish and not professional. So better they work for these guys and not for me.”

DAMN! That’s scathing. I’m assuming he’s talking about Okada/Scurll but I’m surprised he would say such a thing because he’s called Okada the greatest, has always been highly complimentary of him, and even goes out for drinks with him after NJPW AXS live specials.

You have to assume that more than one match went over their time allotment. There's no reason that Matt Cross/MJF had to be on the main show anyway, since it was never announced, and only took away time from the end of the show.

• Like 2

Lethal vs Flip didn’t have to go 14 minutes. I mean Match should have been 10 then all post match stuff they should have been in and out intros match post match in 15.

Okada vs Skrull was really good and told a story. A 12 minute car crash main event was more than appropriate for a show like this.

Honestly I don't see any benefit to commenting that other wrestlers didn't stick to scripted match times, and I'd be really surprised if it becomes more than a quick BTE bit for Marty. Okada is just really used to working slow main events with no real time constraints--his singles matches are almost always last--and Marty was trying to showcase himself. They got carried away, it happens.

And Okada's bulletproof anyway. The Bucks and Cody work in New Japan, and may want to book New Japan talent in the future; so there's zero chance they'd criticize him.