DVDVR Message Board

ALL IN - 9/1/2018 - Post-Show Thread

Finally watched it.

I was only really interested in Kenny vs Penta and the six man. Wish the main event was longer, but I was happy with what I got. Only other people on the card I have a lot of love for are Tessa and Okada, and they were both aces like usual.

Decent show and I'm happy the people who were really invested in it seemed to enjoy themselves. 

3 hours ago, ReiseReise said:

Perfect way to put it. I guess the 10 000 caring about Ryan works aswell. I hope I was clear that me being a little bummed out about it is just that, me being bummed out. I might just be getting old and therefore not getting it. Wrestling has always been evolving and I guess my kind of wrestling might be extinct. 

Even beyond the "whether the dick druids worked in kayfabe", the bigger thing that seemed to fail on it ties on All In's fatal flaw of "All In's fatal flaw was how shoddily it was blocked out".

We saw the big problem with Okada/Scurll (a good match on paper, but if it destroyed the main event, it was a net negative), but then the problem with the show's blocking went further:

The show was built around "there's multiple main event-caliber matches on this show, virtually every match on the card would main event any indy in the world"...and thus, the higher on the card it was, the bigger the match it was.

The NWA Title match went on just before the dick druids match.

Therefore, by All in's selling point and logic, Cody winning the NWA World Championship and, in the process, becoming part of the first ever father/son duo in history to both win the same World Championship (and only the second father/son duo in history after Fritz/Kerry Von Erich to both win ANY World Title)...is less important than dick druids.

I really, strongly disagree that anything on this show was booked like crash TV. All the surprises were logical, all the storylines paid off months of build on BTE and Ten Pounds of Gold and sometimes ROH tv. Everything but the main got time, arguably too much, there were no shocking just for the sake of it swerves.

• Like 7

13 minutes ago, SorceressKnight said:

The NWA Title match went on just before the dick druids match.

Therefore, by All in's selling point and logic, Cody winning the NWA World Championship and, in the process, becoming part of the first ever father/son duo in history to both win the same World Championship (and only the second father/son duo in history after Fritz/Kerry Von Erich to both win ANY World Title)...is less important than dick druids.

If that's the message that they were actually sending, then I wholeheartedly endorse it. Nick Aldis is still a tall lot of nothing and the belt and brand are still just barely on life support.

Happy that NJPW World came through.  ALL IN was a really good show!  It was so different in comparison to any other North American PPV I've seen over the last 20 years.   There was something here for everyone.  It had some of that old school Attitude Era fuckery but it didn't come off as forced.  But then there was some really great wrestling too.  

MOTN is between Penta/Omega and Marty/Okada.  I think I actually preferred the finishing stretch of Okada/Marty so I'll so that.  

Women's match was very good too..  everyone looked crisp.  This was the first time I've seen Chelsea in a while and she's way better than I was expecting.  Tessa is awesome.  

I loved the main event.  It was supposed to go 28 minutes?!   Please... no...   This was WAYYY better at 12 minutes.   A sprint was perfect,  they got all their shit in.  

Fenix has always been one of my favorite flyers this might have been my first time seeing Bandito.  He's tremendous.  

• Like 2

2 hours ago, MapRef41N93W said:

There's no hypocrisy, though. There's nothing hypocritical about thinking that wrestling being unrealistic to some degree is fine, but that it being unrealistic to another, much greater degree is bad.

There isn't, but the 'this is why wrestling doesn't draw' argument falls a little flat when you're talking about the drawingest of independent wrestling shows. I like Cornette more than a lot of people, but there were *plenty* of people who thought Danno O'Moahony's 'Irish Whip' was when pro wrestling jumped the shark (obviously they didn't use that particular metaphor).

• Like 1

15 hours ago, sevendaughters said:

yeah I also agree with this in spite of my not finding Ryan funny, I know where the off switch is and there's plenty of stuff I like. Not going to sit around complaining too long, except in the necessary post-match opinion channel. And I guess as a satire on the Undertaker it was p funny so I will give it that.

I am funny, dammit! I try my least! *sobs*

• Haha 2

Got around to watching most of it today. Favourite parts were;

-the last 5-7 mins of Okada/Scurll

-Cody’s entrance 

-Omega V Penta and the shenanigans after

-the crowd and the general buzz

The main event did not need 24 minutes or whatever it was supposed to get it was perfectly fine. Young Bucks have never been my favourites but thanks to BTE and NJPW I’ve grown to appreciate them and all the hard work they’ve put into basically anything they’ve done. 

Cody isn’t the greatest wrestler around but he’s a star and a presence and same as the Bucks deserves this moment for all the work he’s put in. I had tears in my eyes for his entrance. 

Joey Janela should not be taking bumps like that. 

Really hope Scurll didn’t take any shit for the timing issues, that end sequence with him and Okada was fantastic. The mark in me came out for his Rainmaker.

2 hours ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

It's easier to hate than give something a chance. It's easier to lose yourself in drugs than it is to cope with life. It's easier to steal what you want than it is to earn it. It's easier to beat a child than it is to raise it. Hell, love costs: it takes effort and work.

Until next time, take care of yourself......... and each other.

hqdefault.jpg

• Like 5
  • Haha 4

The umbrella call back, his rainmaker, Marty being for all Okada had, spitting and slapping him, Okada's discus rainmaker, then the murder death kill rainmaker, Marty proving he could hang with the best* heavyweight in the world but still coming up short... If there's any match I'm likely to watch multiple times, it's probably that one even if I thought the Kenny match was better overall.

*I know, Kenny beat him, but he's a jumped up junior, Okada is 6'3" 235 and Marty is tiny.

Woops woop

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Brian Fowler said:

The umbrella call back, his rainmaker, Marty being for all Okada had, spitting and slapping him, Okada's discus rainmaker, then the murder death kill rainmaker, Marty proving he could hang with the best* heavyweight in the world but still coming up short... If there's any match I'm likely to watch multiple times, it's probably that one even if I thought the Kenny match was better overall.

*I know, Kenny beat him, but he's a jumped up junior, Okada is 6'3" 235 and Marty is tiny.

Woops woop

At the very least, Marty should take the ROH world title off Jay Lethal at Final Battle and have the title going into the G1 supershow.

Watched on NJPW World. This was a fantastic show with an unreal atmosphere and energy. 

Some satisfying payoffs to some great builds (CD/Amell and Aldis/Cody in particular were built up in the YouTube series really well).

The timing thing was a non-factor for me, this was DIY, first time thing for a few guys with some big ideas getting help where they could, wasn’t even necessarily going to be available for stream/PPV originally, until the historic sellout. I wouldn’t fault them even if they had cut off the end of the main event given the challenge of timing a show and how even the established players have struggled with it in the past.

But it does leave an interesting question: with the full show running just under 5 hours and the crowd remaining hot, energised and by all accounts not wanting to leave the building after the main event, has the talking point of ‘WWE shows are too long’ or ‘no PPV should run longer than 3 hours’ been disproven? Is it much more about the content and pace than the length? Or was this just a one-off transcendent show, feeding off the pent-up anti establishment feelings from the crowd?

Edit to add: I found a joy in the variety of serious/comedy/parody/insanity/ violence/ nostalgia, rather than being jarring.

• Like 2

WWE shows are too long because they don't fill the time with things people want. Giving each brand its own 30 minutes preshow and 2:45 ppv, and the shows would be better.

This could've gone another hour without being too long because people are in to it.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, RIPPA said:

After his match with Cody I came out a bigger fan of Aldis, He seemed like a great representative for the NWA and I havent seen much of his work since probably the Beat Down Clan era of TNA. I hope he gets more work in the top Indies like ROH because he deserves it.

It's a little weird that Aldis even had to write that. Were people really bitching about Jarrett being there? Like, it's Jeff Jarrett. The man is a goddamn legend and for all the bullshit with TNA gave a lot of those guys on this show their first national platform in an era when WWE wasn't even looking at indy guys. 

About the length - as a rule I don't think nearly five hour plus shows is wise. Kudos to that crowd for staying hot but look at how Supercard of Honor, which was the springboard to this show, absolutely killed the crowd by its length (I was there; it was brutal). 

Four hours is the absolutely max a show needs to run unless you know you're hitting a homerun. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Brian Fowler said:

WWE shows are too long because they don't fill the time with things people want. Giving each brand its own 30 minutes preshow and 2:45 ppv, and the shoes would be better.

This could've fan another hour without being too long because people are in to it.

WWE shows are too long. Raw was a just a fucking chore. An hour of Seinfeld and ROH on Fite TV afterwards is good for cleansing the palate.