DVDVR Message Board

ALL IN - 9/1/2018 - Post-Show Thread

8 minutes ago, Oyaji said:

So long as people are emotionally engaged and there is context, I don't see the problem in having both serious, big stakes wrestling matches on the same card as giant inflatable penis druids and dick flips.

yeah I also agree with this in spite of my not finding Ryan funny, I know where the off switch is and there's plenty of stuff I like. Not going to sit around complaining too long, except in the necessary post-match opinion channel. And I guess as a satire on the Undertaker it was p funny so I will give it that.

• Thanks 1

I like serious stuff and like comedy stuff, just not necessarily together. I hated Chikara of all people have a kaiju big battel match (complete with destroying tiny buildings) during a show. 

And, as always, LU is a TV show featuring wrestling, not a wrestling show on tv. 

Obviously people in 2018 are willing to suspend disbelief in different ways and along different lines, even for different reasons. Primarily I strongly disagree with the notion of "it's all fake, so nothing matters!" even despite that. The logic should be "It's all fake so that means we have control over the presentation and we can make it all matter." It seems like, timing issues aside, they more or less accomplished that to their target audience and left them both satisfied with what they got and wanting more. I can't argue with that.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Going to be curious to hear the backstory of Scurll and Okada going long, especially with the reports that they seemed to blow off the go-home cues. Those guys are vets and while the companies they work generally don't need to worry about time cues it seems nuts that they went 16 minutes over.  With Scurll not coming at the end you wonder if there's heat on him or he was just beating himself up for fucking up the main event.*

Janela and Page going long a bit more defensible as they were selling death spots and doing wacky shit.

Is Shawn/Razor I another famous example of a match going way long and ignoring go home cues? Isn't that why the WM X ten-man got scrapped?

*I also presume they'll turn this into a BTE angle. 

So, an army of penii carry off Adam Page like a martyr, and they just let him go? He should have been thrown into a waiting limo. Then, the partition opens to reveal the driver...Joey Ryan.

Where to, Adam? 

I hope Marty not being out there at the end doesn't mean there's heat on him and Okada for going long.

27 minutes ago, Player One said:

I'm kinda amazed Stephen Amell's arrow contract doesn't prevent him from doing this stuff.  If I was in charge, there's no way in hell I'd agree to let the lead on my show take bumps and go through tables. 

You were wondering about that too. Is Arrow still shooting currently or have they hit a pause? Its even odder if they are still shooting.

Amell was all kinds of awkward, but keeping in mind its his first singles match and only his third match overall he was fine. But, yeah, I could not believe he took that bump. The table disintegrated and didn't slow his descent at all. 

51 minutes ago, Matt D said:

Obviously people in 2018 are willing to suspend disbelief in different ways and along different lines, even for different reasons. Primarily I strongly disagree with the notion of "it's all fake, so nothing matters!" even despite that. The logic should be "It's all fake so that means we have control over the presentation and we can make it all matter." It seems like, timing issues aside, they more or less accomplished that to their target audience and left them both satisfied with what they got and wanting more. I can't argue with that.

Perfect way to put it. I guess the 10 000 caring about Ryan works aswell. I hope I was clear that me being a little bummed out about it is just that, me being bummed out. I might just be getting old and therefore not getting it. Wrestling has always been evolving and I guess my kind of wrestling might be extinct. 

13 minutes ago, Oyaji said:

Amell was all kinds of awkward, but keeping in mind its his first singles match and only his third match overall he was fine. But, yeah, I could not believe he took that bump. The table disintegrated and didn't slow his descent at all. 

I loved the "Broken Arrow" chant after Amell went through the table.

• Like 1

The table still took force of the bump for sure. Daniels did a lot to minimise Amell's bumping. It's not like actors never take a bump in the course of their work.

I think Season 7 is all filmed, and Amell asked them to write it like there may not be a Season 8. So he may be looking elsewhere. And doing this match will have put a lot of eyeballs on him.

2 hours ago, Oyaji said:

Plus, the other side of the argument doesn't really hold water unless you're exclusively watching UWF shoot style because every promotion has silly wrestling tropes/gimmicks that force us to ignore how unrealistic they are. 

I don't understand why these discussions always turn into "all or nothing" arguments. There is nothing wrong with being okay that wrestlers don't dodge jumping moves and not being okay with dick druids.

• Like 3

Regarding the timing issues: Joey Mercury was supposed to be the lead producer on the show, but was arrested the morning of. He was sleeping in his car, and the police found he had an outstanding warrant in Florida. This is, first of all, quite sad for Mercury--and maybe very sad. Like, it's possible that he just fell asleep in his car after a long night of driving, and the whole thing will go away without much incident. That would still be unfortunate, but not as bad as the other scenario, which we can all probably guess at without too much trouble. 

When it came to the show, that meant Cody basically took on those responsibilities; and I think, given his total lack of experience and the short notice, it went pretty well. It's not as if no one told Marty and Okada to wind it down... they just didn't, for whatever reason. They probably just got a little bogged down in the early/middle, yet knew they had a really good finishing run that would justify all that work, and didn't want to cut it short. I ended up liking the match quite a bit, so I would sorta understand that. On the other hand, you have to follow directions on a PPV. 

5 minutes ago, Archibald said:

I don't understand why these discussions always turn into "all or nothing" arguments. There is nothing wrong with being okay that wrestlers don't dodge jumping moves and not being okay with dick druids.

There is stupid shit in everything. Like Arn Anderson's cartoony selling is not something I like but I'm not going to argue he's anything but a great wrestler. The halcyon days that a lot of people clamor for was full of dumb shit and I don't think I'm off base when pointing out the hypocrisy. 

And yeah, I was so bummed by the news of Mercury's arrest. Really hoping that guy figures it out. He was just hired in May to be ROH's head producer and lead trainer. 

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, Oyaji said:

There is stupid shit in everything. Like Arn Anderson's cartoony selling is not something I like but I'm not going to argue he's anything but a great wrestler. The halcyon days that a lot of people clamor for was full of dumb shit and I don't think I'm off base when pointing out the hypocrisy. 

And yeah, I was so bummed by the news of Mercury's arrest. Really hoping that guy figures it out. He was just hired in May to be ROH's head producer and lead trainer. 

One thing I have learned in the last week is that nothing pisses off ALL IN/Bullet Club/New Japan marks more is telling them that their product is just as much WWE as the current WWE.  It is very ECW fans like 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

As someone who doesn't care that much for the Indys, Impact, ROH, I thought this show was ok for what it is. A big showcase of the indy and global talent with better production. The booking was kind of crash tv but that's expected of Feds since the 90's.

Wrestling always evolves or morphs and never really reverts fully to any of the previous era's style.

33 minutes ago, hammerva said:

One thing I have learned in the last week is that nothing pisses off ALL IN/Bullet Club/New Japan marks more is telling them that their product is just as much WWE as the current WWE.  It is very ECW fans like 

That's why I don't venture off this board for wrestling discussion. Ever see a WWE only fan get bent out of shape for critiquing a WWE show or try telling them wrestling exists outside of WWE? Whether we want to admit it or not, we're all social outcasts and misfits regardless of our wrestling choices. To the general public, we're all white trash and morons that don't know it's not real. We should at least try to be civil to each other.

• Like 4

55 minutes ago, Oyaji said:

There's no hypocrisy, though. There's nothing hypocritical about thinking that wrestling being unrealistic to some degree is fine, but that it being unrealistic to another, much greater degree is bad.

12 minutes ago, odessasteps said:

I dont know why some people cant just watch what they like and not hatewatch stuff just to get outraged or troll those that do. But i guess thats just popular culture in 2018. 

It's easier to hate than give something a chance. It's easier to lose yourself in drugs than it is to cope with life. It's easier to steal what you want than it is to earn it. It's easier to beat a child than it is to raise it. Hell, love costs: it takes effort and work.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, odessasteps said:

I dont know why some people cant just watch what they like and not hatewatch stuff just to get outraged or troll those that do. But i guess thats just popular culture in 2018. 

I think about that all of the time, man.

Also, @MapRef41N93W, I get that and maybe hypocrisy was a poorly chosen word. However, everybody has their own arbitrary bullshit line with wrestling. Mine is very liberal because as long as it's following its own rules and logic, a story line can be as ridiculous as it wants to be. Just make me feel something. 

• Like 1

I just watched it, for full transparency, in terms of in ring I feel like I should say I like the Bucks, love Omega and Hangman and I’m not keen on Marty, Flip or Cody in general.  I think BTE is ok and watch here and there but I have kept up to date since All In was announced.

I enjoyed the hell out of the show. I’m a huge Penta and Janela fan so Omega / Penta and Janela / Hangman were my favorite matches. Penelope Ford was incredible in her spot, Janela has a crazy charisma and I love seeing what he comes up with.

I loved the main event, even though it was short it was still a ton of fun and Bandido looked like a megastar.

The Joey Ryan stuff was great, I couldn’t care less for Joey most of the time but Hangman selling it was incredible and really made it fun.

Marty v Okada was okay but it felt super long to me, Okada looked great throughout.

The other stuff was all watchable, ranging from really good, the ladies 4-way to stuff I enjoyed for no real reason like Daniels / Amell, Jerry Lynn referee and Cody winning the belt.  

The production almost felt like a WCW show in Japan from the 90’s I could totally imagine Eddie, Vader  and Cactus Jack coming down the ramp. 

Both Amell and Janela absolutely died on their table bumps, Janelas elbow drop might have been worse than Amells.

Overall I thought it was cool and would like to subscribe to their newsletter if they ever do another one.