DVDVR Message Board

ALL IN - 9/1/2018 - Post-Show Thread

1 hour ago, Hail Sabin said:

Comcast had it 6:30pm to 3 am so the replay started at 11pm and the show finished at 10:59 pm. 

Right, we are saying the same thing. I live in California, so your 630 to 3 is my 330 to midnight. I am just interested in how do you run up against your curfew if you have that large block of time available?

Because you only have X amount of time for live broadcast via the satelitte.  They ran out.  Even if Comcast has the next however blocked out for replay, you only have the initial time you booked the transmission for.  WCW actually ran into the same problem with Halloween Havoc 98 where they thought the feed would keep going if they ran over and instead the broadcast company just cut the feed at the end of allotted time.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, BobbyWhioux said:

Most indie guys are (I suspect) closer to average joe height (albeit in better shape), so I'm not surprised Billy towers over guys now.

I'm 5'7 on a good day, and having gone to shows for Evolve, Progress, and Beyond and walking amongst/talking to a lot of wrestlers, yeah most of them were eye to eye or just 2-3" taller than me. 

I was unsurprised that a wrestling show run by and featuring a lot of guys known for knowing self-indulgence ran over trying to get all its shit in. Funnily enough had I been booking this I'd have probably only given 12-15 to that six man, but it wouldn't have been the goddamn main event either. And I don't think anyone needs to see 24/25 mins of Scurll taking on Okada except the mother of Marty Scurll. Heck, nearly everything just went a bit long. Remember when WK9 had to fit into 4hrs with a gigantic walkway and they did it and basically only skimped on matches you wouldn't remember anyway?

Snark aside I enjoyed it! Can take it at face value but really helped that I stuck with BTE despite THAT also getting longer and longer. Kenny-Penta was great as expected but Janela-Page was super stuff. Funny how I say that despite my praising the build of BTE - those two matches were only sort of lightly pumped up weren't they? Anyway they did a good job and I'm pleased for everyone concerned, though not quite a SOTY contender (Triplemania English version ahead right now ?).

I've always held out hope that the NWA title would get some shine and I'm glad that it's happening. It seems that the direction of travel is that ROH, NJPW, NWA, AAA, and some big indies are - if things hold out - basically going to become the global-era territories, with different flavours of the same big modern wrestling. It'll make purists spit but fuck 'em (us?).

Also: three proper world champions on one card and no apparent politics?

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, DreamBroken said:

I'm not up on all the build and what not, but why are the Bucks against the Bullet Club?

Jericho formed the Alpha Club and invited the Bucks to join on Being the Elite. Marty overheard and tried to join Jericho turned it down. Jericho on his last BTE appearance made the challenge for the Cruise. He also made a comment about a match that can only happen at Sea since they will be in international waters thus wrestling rules or politics don't apply. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

https://www.f4wonline.com/indies/all-notes-post-show-promo-main-event-time-restriction-jericho-265061

After All In went off the air last night, The Young Bucks and Kota Ibushi stayed in the ring for the post-show promo and were joined by Cody, Brandi Rhodes, Kenny Omega, Hangman Page, and The Young Bucks' families. Marty Scurll was one of the people that Nick Jackson called to the ring but didn't end up appearing after his match with Kazuchika Okada.

- Nick admitted that they had a time restriction for the Young Bucks & Ibushi vs. Rey Mysterio, Fenix & Bandido main event, with Matt Jackson joking that they had to hurry up and beat their opponents. On Wrestling Observer Radio last night, it was noted that the six-man tag was scheduled to go 28 minutes but got cut to 12 due to things going long.

- Matt called All In a group collaboration between everyone in the ring, everyone in the back, and the fans. He said there's a hunger for good pro wrestling and good entertainment, that the show was their vision of what they think they can do with wrestling, and asked the crowd if they wanted more of it.

- After the crowd chanted for another All In, Cody brought up that sometimes when you make a bet you go double or nothing. Matt said they aren't making an announcement but called it something to think about. He said they'd give the fans more of this if they want it.

- Cody reiterated that, with the big question of what happens next, this group is sticking together.

- Cody called Omega the leader of the Bullet Club and handed him the microphone to close the show. Omega gave credit to The Young Bucks and Cody for being the brainchildren behind the event and called it probably the greatest pro wrestling show he's been a part of. He mentioned that the fans know where he comes from and where some people want him to go, but he said that All In blew everything else out of the water.

After his surprise appearance at All In, Chris Jericho posted a video on Instagram while on a private plane flying to Fozzy's concert in Merriam, Kansas so he could make both events in the same night. Jericho went on stage while still wearing his Pentagon Jr. face paint.

The lights went out after Omega defeated Pentagon last night, with Jericho replacing Pentagon while wearing Pentagon's full costume. Jericho attacked Omega and hyped up the Jericho & Young Bucks vs. Omega, Cody & Scurll match on next month's Rock 'N' Wrestling Rager at Sea cruise.

• Like 5

I thought the show was great. First actual PPV i've ordered in years. It had the feel of an old ECW Show. The only thing I can't figure out is why didn't they do Hangman Page vs. Joey Ryan. They could have done the entire Undertaker entrance thing and had a great street fight. Joey Janella was really good, but his match with Hangman seemed so out of place.

Marty vs. Okada was probably my match of the night. Kenny vs. Pentagon I assumed would go to an old school time limit draw (protect each company's top guy).

I was genuinely shocked Cody won the title. That ending was Bulldog vs. Hart at Summerslam 92.

I also was glad Flip Gordon wormed his way onto the card. It was all worth it just to hear Pomp & Circumstance like the way it was meant to be.

• Like 2

I'm still paying for New Japan World, so it's not like I'm completely stealing the show after getting a refund from Fite TV, but I was clued into a site that has the entire show up. I'm up to Jay Lethal vs. Flip Gordon now. This show is awesome. It has such a different feel from WWE ppv's, which don't feel any different from your average Raw or Smackdown anymore. It's a cliché, but All In has that big fight feel throughout the show.

• Like 2

I’m just dropping my own star ratings here because why not.

MJF vs. Matt Cross - 3*

Amell vs. Daniels - 2.75*

Women’s 4 Way - 3.25*

Cody vs. Aldis - 3.5*

Janela vs. Page - 4*

Lethal vs. Flip - 3*

Omega vs. Pentagon - 4.25*

Okada vs. Scurll - 4.5* (MOTN)

Golden Elite vs. Luchadors - 3.75*

• Like 1

Nick Aldis was robbed.

First, he had the match won after he caught Cody with the forearm on the outside. Cody was practically KO'd and would have been counted out for sure. But of course, Cody's hand-picked ref stops the count, throws up the X but DOESN'T stop the match, and gives Cody eons to recover.

Then, Daivairi comes down to try to talk some sense into the ref, since the match is clearly over with Aldis the winner. So naturally Cody sends his crony DDP out there to put a stop to that.

THEN, later on, Cody's wife blatantly interferes, with no consequences for Cody. And that awful crowd calls Aldis an asshole for dropping the elbow on her, even though he obviously pulled it at the last second to protect her (how else could she have come out with Flip Gordon in the next match, completely unscathed?).

I'd like to see paper champ Cody give Aldis his rematch on a show where Cody isn't literally paying the referee. Come wrestle in a 6' x 6' ring on Championship Wrestling from Hollywood like a real man.

• Like 2
  • Haha 7

The main mistake Aldis made was his entourage. His entourage should have been Jocephus; his spiritual advisor; and former NWA World Heavyweight Champion "The Colorado Kid" Mike Rapada*.

* I do feel like an asshole using Rapada as the butt of a joke when he has done a lot for military families and underprivileged children in the San Diego area.

Loved it. A show that managed to still show modern pro wrestling (your opinion may vary on whether that's good or bad) while genuinely evoking the past and honoring the journey of these men and women on the show. Tessa hugging Magnum and Tully and Cody being flanked by friends and admirers of his father was more legitimate than 90 percent of the heavy-handed nostalgia you often see. Perfect mix of legends, trailblazers and up and coming stars

Like a lot of people I just assumed it was gonna be the BTE variety hour, and while they managed to wrap up the BTE storylines and call-back to all the jokes and angles from there, each match managed to not veer into pro wrestling parody(with the exception of the ending stretch of Page and Janela).

I have a few gripes about the show but on the whole an absolutely A+ show and probably the most top to bottom genuinely FUN show I've watched since One Night Stand.  The main event getting jammed is a bummer because a 28 minute match with those six would have been insane but it was still good and timing issues happen. I'm seeing so many people freaking out over it when it really isn't a big deal. 

Overly detailed thoughts now: 

- The WGN opening with Cody and the Bucks was cringe. I got a DX reunion vibe of them trying to be goofy and it didn't work .

- I really liked the Brisco/SCU tag. Mark and Jay have been a bit hit and miss for me lately, but they had a neat tag with a great finish. Who knows how much this show is gonna be canon for other companies but the finish also sets up an SCU title shot down the line. Kazarian looked really good in this, actually. 

- The battle royal was messy.  Decent enough segments and spots but probably a little too busy and a little too Billy Gunny. Like, I get having a mix of legends and younger guys but a bit too much focus on guys long past their expiration date. Flip winning was the obvious and right choice. 

- Commentary was pretty good all night, incidentally. Ribaconni (not Googling the spelling) sounds distractingly like Colt Cabana. Excalibur and Callis did a good job. All the guest commentators were hit or miss. This was definitely not an underbooked show. 

-  A legitimate criticism of this show is there was way too much "the match is over and now everyone stop selling and take a bow because our pretend performance is over." I don't need 1984 Mid-South but selling losses and punishment is important. 

- MJF vs Matt Cross was okay. It was disposable and MJF is a great heel on the mic but he was just kinda there in this. This felt like a thank you to an old vet like Cross. 

- Daniels was the best possible person to have that match with Amell. Him winning was the first real indicator that this wasn't gonna be a total haha show. Of course, Daniels beat an actor. He's a twenty-something year vet who has beaten world champions and Hall of Famers. Amell didn't look terrible and took some big bumps out there. It's sad Daniels never got a legitimate WWE run. 

- Women's Four Way I kind of loved. Chelsea Green needs to ditch that character tomorrow, though. It worked on Impact, which is essentially a supernatural universe, but it just doesn't work in settings like this. Liked hearing Cole's old Kingdom theme. As I noted before, Tessa being there with her dad and Magnum was a really beautiful moment, especially on a show so tied into with the Rhodes family. 

- Cody vs Aldis just fucking worked. Cody ditched the bear and brought out his family. Aldis came out with his own set of past champs and legends. It had blood, and atmosphere and felt important and meaningful. Technically, it wasn't any great shakes. It did some short cuts but by the end it had everyone and it felt like an important moment because it was earned. So much of modern wrestling is artificial moments where companies tell us "this is important; this is history." This was important because that crowd believed it was. 

Incidentally, all the "haha, of course Cody booked himself to win the belt" takes are so hack. Pretty sure Cody could walk into just about any company in North America right now and be belted up the next day (and after last night that probably includes WWE). Don't really think dude had to politic to take the strap off Aldis, ya know. Corgan has to be over the moon that this dude ACCEPTED this belt.

Also, that article that I think came out in The Ringer a few months about Cody's journey and about how much of this indy run is about him dealing with his grief about losing his father really struck a chord with me tonight. I lost my father a few years ago and that sadness never really goes away. When Cody got that win and was embraced by everyone, I teared up. It was a beautiful moment and such a nice tribute to his dad. 

I am assuming Bernard will be pissed about not being booked, though. 

- Lethal vs Flip was a total misfire. It was nice seeing Poffo and it was a cool tribute to Savage but Lethal is the ROH World Champion and basically did a goofy gimmick match with comedy spots. This match lacked all the things that made the previous match work. Flip is still really green and this one didn't quite work. Lethal has been good this year but the Black Macho stuff is a prelim act. After tonight, ROH needs to get that belt on Marty. 

- Hangman vs Janela was wild. That fucking Burning Hammer on the ladder spot was completely insane and I actually yelled at my TV when Page dropped him with his finish off the ladder. I liked that that match was 90 percent serious until the storyline finish with the boots and the murdering and what not. Page and Ford have a good act. The Joey Ryan stuff at the end was, well, I mean...your tolerance with the Bullet Club variety hour probably influenced how you felt there. It was certainly a visual and it is certainly impossible to explain to anyone not watching the Youtube show. I guess if you're gonna do wacky dick shit with Joey Ryan, you may as well go big. They went big. 

- Omega vs Pentagon was a banger. That was legitimately a quality match. It could have easily devolved into finishing spam and DDT Omega shit. The arm break/package piledriver near fall had me, man. I also thought it was interesting that Kenny didn't wrestle his usual NJPW-style, either. This was a little more slowed down than the usual. Fantastic stuff.  I'm ambivalent about whether or not guys go to WWE and I get that at some point it's time for some guys to go but if the rumors of Pentagon to NXT are true that would be such a bummer. I know talent rises and all that but I have zero doubt that they will fucking kill him off. He's all aura and costume in a company that hates masked wrestlers and is gonna just see a short, somewhat dumpy guy. Best case he ends up in tagged with the also-rumored to come in Fenix in an undercard tag team. It's all gonna suck. 

- I was a bit annoyed that Okada randomly is now unbroken. I gather that Marty is rather unloved around these parts but I liked the story of the match. Okada was cocky and nearly got caught. I hope that this match leads to something for Scurll, whether it's him going heavyweight in NJPW, or him going on a quest to prove himself in ROH and you can build to that big babyface win at Final Battle in a few months. This is a match that needs to have meaning to it. 

- The ovation that Rey and Kota got for facing off was wild and probably goes to show how those fans see Ibushi. It went, what, 12 minutes so they ended up cutting 16 or so. I mean, that does suck and puts a slight damper on the end but I think with what every match was trying to do (whether it was a good idea or succeeded or not) this was the match you could have cut in half and still made work.  

I  do love the "they didn't even get to do their big fucking jackoff promo shit on the air, haha" takes by people who would have fucking BURIED them for doing the big fucking jackoff promo shit on PPV. They'll throw that shit on BTE tomorrow and get 300, 000 views. 

So, yeah, home run show and a love letter to pro wrestling and hopefully a show that leads to...something other than WWE  offering contracts to every single performer just to put them on ice with all the other shiny toys that can barely make TV. 

I will say that tonight proves that when/if the WWE comes calling, a lot of these guys would be fools to accept being shuttled to NXT.  Get your money and get a main roster slot and do what AJ Styles did. Anything else at this point is selling short. 

• Like 3

4 hours ago, FlaeBlazer said:

I’m just dropping my own star ratings here because why not.

MJF vs. Matt Cross - 3*

Amell vs. Daniels - 2.75*

Women’s 4 Way - 3.25*

Cody vs. Aldis - 3.5*

Janela vs. Page - 4*

Lethal vs. Flip - 3*

Omega vs. Pentagon - 4.25*

Okada vs. Scurll - 4.5* (MOTN)

Golden Elite vs. Luchadors - 3.75*

Is this a 5 or 7 star scale system brother? Maybe a 4 star scale system like before Lawlor Funk. 

• Haha 1