DVDVR Message Board

MLB 2018 - REST OF THE REGULAR SEASON

RIPPA

On 9/5/2018 at 11:57 AM, grilledcheese said:

Todd Frazier made a catch that I was in total awe of on Monday night. Turns out he's real fucking crafty. This is the kind of baseball cheating I can get behind.

Great story from the 1800's: King Kelly was playing the outfield in the 9th inning with his team up a run with 2 outs and daylight becoming scarce. A guy hit a long fly ball that was headed over the fence. Kelly leaped up, made a catching motion, tucked his arm into his body, walked to the clubhouse like the game was over and the ump called the batter out. When a teammate back in the clubhouse asked to see the ball he replied "Oh, it went way over the fence.".

• Like 1

Gibbons has said he wants to stick around baseball but doesn't think he has the patience to deal with a rebuild.  And really he isn't the guy to do that at this point.  He only has 1 year left on his deal so its a relatively cheap golden handshake.  New guys coming in you need a new identity.  They are still playing Cito Gaston blast home run baseball.  No matter who comes in the pitching is beyond fugly for the forseeable future.  They wont do it but I would be tempted to dangle Stroman and Sanchez to see if you can get some promising AA arms

On 9/5/2018 at 9:57 AM, grilledcheese said:

Todd Frazier made a catch that I was in total awe of on Monday night. Turns out he's real fucking crafty. This is the kind of baseball cheating I can get behind.

IF I was commish I would have suspended him for the rest of the season for lying to an ump and cheating, but that's just me. . . 

• Like 1

White Sox top prospect Michael Kopech tore his UCL in his 4th start and will miss all of 2019. He also accrues service time since he got injured on the major league roster.

8 hours ago, Hamhock said:

White Sox top prospect Michael Kopech tore his UCL in his 4th start and will miss all of 2019. He also accrues service time since he got injured on the major league roster.

Exhibit A as to justify their reasoning for not bringing up Eloy Jimenez.

• Like 2

The Red Sox were among the clubs to voice displeasure to Major League Baseball about the events that occurred before and after the trade of Donaldson from the Blue Jays to the Indians on Aug. 31, according to major-league sources.

Other American League contenders also contacted the commissioner’s office, either to express their dismay with the circumstances of the deal or seek clarification on why baseball allowed it, sources said.

Rosenthal in the Athletic 

Bumgarner is a big dumb dummy. Had retired 15 consecutive, then allows a couple baserunners, and Braun comes to the dish. He goes high and tight, Braun evades. They then have a quick convo in which Braun tells him to "Just throw the ball, man." Bumgarner then hits him to load them up, somehow Craig Counsell, Wade Miley and Jacob Nottingham got the thumb, but neither Bumgarner nor Bochy did. Jonathan Schoop then gets into a 2-1 count and unloads the fuck out of the bases.

https://streamable.com/fhe81

He's such a dickbag.

• Like 1

Speaking of business

As of right now - the Red Sox and Nationals are the only two teams projected to have to pay the luxury tax this year.

So that means - unless something wild happens - teams like the Yankees and Dodgers will be successful in their goal of resetting their luxury tax threshold.

• Like 1

Mets announce that they will active David Wright for the final homestand of the season.

He is slated to start at 3B on Sept 29 and that will be the last game of his career as he will retire at season's end

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, RIPPA said:

Mets announce that they will active David Wright for the final homestand of the season.

He is slated to start at 3B on Sept 29 and that will be the last game of his career as he will retire at season's end

How much heat would an opposing team get for repeatedly bunting towards third base?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, RIPPA said:

I kind of can't believe they're going to miss this chance to Bobby Bonilla in right field.

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, RIPPA said:

Cindy may have cried more watching the presser than Wright did. It was close.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Pete said:

Cindy may have cried more watching the presser than Wright did. It was close.

I honestly hope they retire his number because he's not making the HOF and that is really the highest honor he can realistically get. He was our Mattingly: a great player whose career was cut short by (IIRC) the same exact medical condition.

15 hours ago, sabremike said:

I honestly hope they retire his number because he's not making the HOF and that is really the highest honor he can realistically get. He was our Mattingly: a great player whose career was cut short by (IIRC) the same exact medical condition.

They may not retire it outright but I'd be shocked if they assigned it to anyone in the near future. I also expect at least one Marlin pitcher to give Wright a volleyball to sit on.