DVDVR Message Board

My NXT project

Yo-Yo's Roomie

NXT Takeover: R Evolution

Corey Graves has joined the announce team after officially announcing his retirement from in-ring competition on the pre-show. I hate Graves as a commentator on Raw and Smackdown, but heard he was much better in NXT, so let's see. He joins Alex Riley and Rich Brennan in the booth.

Kevin Owens Vs CJ Parker: Here's KO's in-ring debut. Huge pop. I knew Parker was going to be his opponent. He seems to be the designated 'make the new guy look good' guy now. Owens looks great here crushing Parker from the bell. Parker gets a comeback and it looks like he breaks Owens's nose with the palm strike. Maybe they should rethink Parker's role. Owens wins with the pop-up powerbomb. Very impressive debut, and he already looks like a huge deal.

The Lucha Dragons Vs The Vaudevillains: Decent match. Probably the best Vaudevillains match yet actually. Just solid tag structure stuff. Finish was a bit abrupt though. English pushes Gotch out of the way of a dive from the Dragons, but then Gotch ends up just getting pinned by Kalisto anyway. They could have done a little more with that I feel.

Baron Corbin Vs Tye Dillinger: Standard squash for Corbin. Bull Dempsey shows up in the front row to watch. I'm actually looking forward to seeing these two lock up now.

Hideo Itami and Finn Balor Vs The Ascension: Balor does indeed come out as the Demon. The announce team puts it over huge. I think it's stupid, and think Balor looks cooler just in the jacket. Itami was kinda screwed here. Weeks of getting beatdown by the Ascension, and then he's playing second fiddle to Balor. This match is about as good as you can hope for from the Ascension, but probably goes longer than it needed to. Itami and Balor hit dual diving foot stomps for the win. I'm hoping that's the end of the Ascension.

Charlotte Vs Sasha Banks: I'm looking forward to this one. Crowd is pretty split, maybe 60/40 for Sasha. Which doesn't surprise me because every time Charlotte is positioned as a babyface the crowd ends up turning on her. This is a really good match but, more than that, this is an awesome Sasha performance, and really a coming out party for her. She brings great bumping (doing a flip bump off the spear- probably the best Charlotte's spear has ever looked), great stooging, great trash talk, and gets to bust out some big offence too. I wish they'd have had Sasha win, because she's been looking like the star of the women's division for weeks now. At least Charlotte had to dig deep to get the winning, hitting a super Natural Selection to get the 3. The only bad thing about this match is, surprise surprise, the commentary. Alex Riley, who has been Sasha's number one cheerleader for the last several weeks, is suddenly slamming her tactics and her attitude. I guess because Corey is the designated heel in the booth now, Riley has to revert to being a babyface. So silly.

Sami Zayn Vs Adrian Neville: The crowd has been great all night, super hot, but take it to another level here. Great atmosphere for what feels like a really big match. I dare say the hottest crowd for any NXT match to date, and they're solidly behind Sami. This is a really good match. They get lots of time, and there's a lot of action, but also a lot of storytelling. The narrative here is that Neville will do anything to win, whereas Sami lets his morals get in the win, and we get moments like Neville pulling the ref in the way of the Helluva kick, and Sami debating whether to use the belt as a weapon (echoes of Bret/Piper with the ring bell). He eventually decides against it, and wins the match cleanly, the right way, with the Helluva kick, to a huge pop. The locker-room clears to celebrate with Zayn, including his best friend, Kevin Owens, and they hoist him up on their shoulders. Then Neville gets up. Zayn offers his hand, but Neville kicks it away and hugs him instead. Really great moment, and conclusion to what has been an excellent storyline start to finish. And that's the end of the show. Or is it? I actually had already seen what happens next. I checked it out at the time as I remember the board here raving about it. I kinda wish I didn't know. I wonder if I would have seen it coming. So, the celebration lasts legit like 10 minutes, the announcers sign off, the WWE logo flashes on the screen, and we're just waiting for the screen to fade to black. But it's Sami who fades to black as Kevin Owens embraces him one last time... and then lays him out on the ramp and hits him with a buckle bomb. Truly great angle because, as I said, for all intents and purposes, the show was over. They let Zayn have his moment, they let the crowd enjoy the victory, and then bang- here's your next big feud. Such great pro-wrestling. I'd still take Sami/Cesaro and the two big Regal matches as a better match than this, but this whole main event segment is the peak of NXT so far.

Show rating: This is a pretty perfect show. The crowd is hot. The right people go over for the most part. You get the hot debut for Owens. The last two matches deliver in the ring. And the closing angle is perfectly executed. Awesome pro-wrestling show.  4 stars.

Episode MVP: It took something special to deny Sasha Banks this award tonight, but I couldn't not give it to Sami Zayn. A customarily strong in-ring display, coupled with the emotion of his victory and the perfect conclusion to his long story arc make him a worthy MVP.

3 1/4 star match: Sasha Banks Vs Charlotte.

3 3/4 star match: Adrian Neville Vs Sami Zayn.

• Like 4

I wonder what “peak” NXT would be. Off the top of my head, I could see arguments for this, the first Brooklyn show, or the WM Takeover with Sami/Nak. Depending on how much you like current super-indie NXT, I could see arguments for something more current.

• Like 1

One of the interesting things about this project is watching this stuff concurrently with current WWE, and seeing the contrast between how the individual talents have been booked in NXT and the main roster. So, for example, it's quite jarring watching Becky, who I actually kinda hate so far in NXT, and looking at her now as one of the biggest stars in the company. Or Baron Corbin, who is looking like a badass, and is really over, doing quick squashes in NXT, compared to just being death on the main roster.

But the biggest disconnect, and the thing that maybe best shows the difference between NXT booking and main roster booking, is that you have Sami Zayn, by far and away the most beloved guy on the NXT roster, who got over with the fans by being a great wrestler, but more than that being a great babyface and being able to connect emotionally with the fans and take them on a journey. And he's currently on the main roster, as a heel, doing a self-righteous, chastising the fans, Vince-avatar gimmick, and hardly wrestling. I get that booking for NXT and booking for the big show is different (maybe not as different as people make out though?), but how do you get to this point with Sami Zayn?

• Like 2

What they're doing with Zayn right now is hard to watch, but it's worth pointing out that his heel run immediately after the turn was fantastic. I think everyone was pleasantly surprised at how good he was at being an annoying little shit. And it came on the heels of a main roster face run that was very underwhelming.

I agree. I think he's a great heel actually. But when you see the way he can get a crowd to buy into him and his story, you wonder why we even got an opportunity to find out what a great heel he is. And the reason his main roster babyface run was so underwhelming is because WWE can't book babyfaces for shit. Which is the point I'm making.

12/18/14

We start with Adrian Neville coming to the ring. He says that he had the match of his career at R Evolution, and it would have been his honour to introduce Sami Zayn as the new NXT champion tonight, but that he can't do that because of Kevin Owens. Owens comes out and Neville says it was shameful what he did. Owens says he doesn't care what Neville thinks, and that he doesn't have a problem with Neville, but if Neville wants a fight, he'll give him one. Nice, simple, logical way to follow up on what happened at Takeover.

Becky Lynch Vs Bayley: Becky debuts her new music, but is still doing the stupid headbanging thing. She also looks like she has hair extensions and has been shot in the face with Homer Simpson's make-up gun. She just looks kind of weird. Bayley seems to be all healed up, which is miraculous given that she was on crutches just last week. Short match with Becky winning via tap-out with some sort of leg lock. It looks like Graves's old finisher. 

In the back, the Vaudevillains enter William Regal's office. I love that the screen still cuts to black and white whenever the Vaudevillains appear. They show Regal footage of their match against the Lucha Dragons, which shows that Simon Gotch was the illegal man when he was pinned. Regal says they'll get a rematch.

Bull Dempsey Vs Jesus De Leon: Quick squash win for Bull.

Baron Corbin Vs Rob Ryzin: Neither of these two jobbers were given names on the show. Corbin wins in about 14 seconds as Bull watches from the ramp. They have a staredown in the aisle afterwards, and Bull shoves Baron and quickly walks away smiling. 

The Ascension Vs Enzo and Big Cass: I have two questions. When do the Ascension start wearing face paint? And when are they going to get the fuck off NXT? This is weird. Enzo tags himself in, to Cass's annoyance, but then gets distracted by Carmella who is also at ringside, and gets quickly pinned by Viktor off an STO. Not sure why they'd book Enzo and Cass like that. The Ascension bark some threats at Balor and Itami, so I guess that feud is continuing.

Adrian Neville Vs Kevin Owens: Pretty good match here with Neville playing the underdog to Owens's bullying bruiser. It ends up being a double countout, but after the bell Owens hits the apron powerbomb on Neville. I like what they're doing with Owens.

Episode MVP: Adrian Neville.

On 5/3/2019 at 10:53 PM, West Newbury Bad Boy said:

Zayn vs Neville is still the best match in NXT history. And that go-home promo was on point. 

I can't say Zayn vs. Neville from NXT TakeOver: R-Evolution 2014 is THE best NXT match but it's a true contender for that accolade.

EDIT: Just had a chance at my top twenty NXT matches and there's just two matches ahead of Zayn/Neville.

Edited by The Natural

On 5/7/2019 at 5:12 PM, El Dragon said:

When I get my new laptop I am totally using this thread as a way to find earlier NXT to watch for ranking,

Glad the IT mishap won't be stopping your resumption of the Best NXT Matches project. Felt bad when I read about it.

3 hours ago, JonnyLaw said:

I wonder what “peak” NXT would be. Off the top of my head, I could see arguments for this, the first Brooklyn show, or the WM Takeover with Sami/Nak. Depending on how much you like current super-indie NXT, I could see arguments for something more current.

All worthy choices. I'd go with NXT TakeOver: New Orleans 2018 for my top to bottom pick.

I think this would be the beginning of the peak. As Fowler said above, this was the show that really sparked off the "must see" aspect of NXT. And I'd say it lasts maybe around to the time of the Nak/Sami match. Yes, still good to great after that, but the run with Sami right there in the mix was peak NXT for me personally.

I stand by my original comments of always finding Zayn obnoxious and unlikeable with this forced babyface act. Likely why, while not a fan, I find him infinitely more tolerable these days.  Couldn't stand him back then combined with being annoyed at how ridiculously predictable it was that Neville was losing, I turned that show off after Charlotte/Sasha and was better off for it.

3 hours ago, MonteCarl said:

I think this would be the beginning of the peak. As Fowler said above, this was the show that really sparked off the "must see" aspect of NXT. And I'd say it lasts maybe around to the time of the Nak/Sami match. Yes, still good to great after that, but the run with Sami right there in the mix was peak NXT for me personally.

This is such an odd time table to call because what "Made NXT prime viewing" changed a lot over the years.

At this point it was th Sami Zayn show, but sadly the NXT Title Picture becomes a bit of a letdown for... Jesus, 3 years at this point? I don't think the main event scene ever really lives up till Almas. But this is around the time the women become must watch. Sadly it doesn't last THAT long before Sasha and co. Get called up, and then it stagnates until the Tag Division becomes must watch. Then after that it... kinda loses its special feel to me I guess?

My take on NXT probably is an odd one though.

I felt once Joe was out of the mix it went downhill for a bit.  I'll never forget Joe getting busted open against Balor and just leveling him through the ropes and coming up, face covered in blood looking like a total badass and the crowd losing their minds. 

Anyway,  "peak NXT" for me was probably right around that time of the first NXT Brooklyn.  That is NXT's most important event for various reasons. 

By the way,  Becky gets really good before she's called up.  She's given more of a chance to shine in the ring and IMO delivers. Then when she got to the main roster it is a LONG time before she gets rolling. 

7 hours ago, Brian Fowler said:

Man, KO/Balor/Joe/Nak/Roode was the glory era for that belt in my mind. 

Without going too much into detail regarding spoilers for our reviewer, but the KO setup was derailed by injury and early call up, Balor was meh to solid title matches that were in memorable save for the match Joe had to improvise and ruled, the Joe/Nak series was borderline boring due to, if I had to guess, are just not nearly as interesting when having to work a match with everything laid out instead of just working (unsure on Nak on that, but 100% think this was Joes NXT problem) and Roode... look, he was mostly fine but we’ve had the “Fowler on Roode” discussion a bunch over the years and let me just say: I am not an overly big fan.

Basically until Andrade takes over... how many times for the next 3 years can you say the NXT title match had a strong case for MOTN on a Takeover?

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, El Dragon said:

I mean, Ciampa/Dream might take that one by default. Other then that, fair point. Though I’m hugely a low voter on Cole/Gargano.

I watched Ciampa/Dream back a couple of months ago. I thought it was a great match at the time, THAT near fall was something else and I liked the match even more.

16 minutes ago, El Dragon said:

I mean, Ciampa/Dream might take that one by default. Other then that, fair point. Though I’m hugely a low voter on Cole/Gargano.

Just looked at that card, and yeah by default is right. Very good match,  but yikes is the rest of that card underwhelming. Even the women's title match, which sounded great on paper, was too rushed.

12/25/14

Renee Young and Corey Graves host a 2014 retrospective, with one 'new' match, and the only other thing of note being a backstage bit with Curtis Axel asking William Regal for an opportunity to relaunch his career on NXT. Axel was an early NXT standout, so I don't begrudge him the opportunity.

Charlotte Vs Sasha Banks: Hot crowd for this one. It has the feel of a Coliseum Video Exclusive. Ric Flair is out with Charlotte, whereas Becky Lynch seconds Sasha. The crowd seems to be more with Charlotte this time. Another good match. More back and forth than the last one. Charlotte wins with the figure 8. These two always had good chemistry it seems.

Episode MVP: Sasha Banks.

3 star match: Sasha Banks Vs Charlotte.