DVDVR Message Board

Babyfaces who are incapable of being heels

cwoy2j

On 9/2/2018 at 8:17 AM, The Green Meanie said:

He was a heel during his last run in the E.

I'm going to add votes for Steamboat and Santana, I don't think those could ever be possible.

I always thought Santana could have been a heel. From a few promos, he displayed a mean streak. 

I think any wrestler can be a heel if booked right. Rey Mysterio is talented enough to be a heel and get heat. He was a bit heelish in his feud with Undertaker before the 2010 Rumble. 

41 minutes ago, Go2Sleep said:

I'm surprised the thread has gotten this far without mentioning Jeff Hardy. Did TNA ever try to make him a heel? I know he was briefly a heel as part of the New Brood, but I wouldn't say he was particularly good at it.

Crossed my mind while watching SDL last night too.

TNA did turn him heel in October 2010 with Hogan & Bischoff, it lasted until he got sent home in March 2011. I thought it worked better than expected but yeah not the best idea.

On 9/1/2018 at 8:46 PM, Player One said:

I always felt like Morton half-assed the turn.  Dude didn't even bother to tie his hair back.  To paraphrase what you said, nothing says corporate like a dude with a souithern-accent with long blonde hair down to his waist.  Morton's hairstyle was out of control then.  He could at least worn a ponytail if he wasn't going to cut it.

I don't think it was the chaps so much as i was the fact that Rich's ass was huge at the time.

Basically, those were two guys seriously wrong for their gimmick.  

Morton did better heelwork during the SMW-USWA storyline.  I had been watching this recently on Youtube and enjoyed it far more than his WCW work.  If anyone has or knows of anyone with a good USWA DVD set I'd love to buy it.

9 hours ago, Happ Hazzard said:

I have always thought that if WCW had had the black Scorpion unmask as Ricky steamboat and turn on the fans for booing him for being a family man, it would have worked

If Steamboat was 10 years younger and came up through the Attitude Era, he could have been a great heel. Sanctimonious Corporate Champion Steamboat against Austin would have been great. Even if he wasn't younger and just never suffered the career ending injury, he could have probably still pulled it off.

While he was 100% the face in the Flair feud, it would not have been too hard to have him lean harder into the family thing and become a preachy asshole. Steamboat was a great wrestler, the idea that it would be impossible for him to be a heel is ridiculous.

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, J.T. said:

Tommy Dreamer is the Hardcore version of Ricky Steamboat.

Dreamer was a scumbag. He bullies the introverted genius suffering from a host of mental disorders at summer camp, rejects the fat girl that liked him at the same summer camp, and knocks her up once she becomes hot. Yeah, fuck Tommy Dreamer.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Wyld Samurai said:

I gotta go with Kerry Von Erich. He just didn't look bright enough to ever be able to pull off being a heel.

David would have been an amazing heel.

I think we discussed in this thread pages ago how highly some people rate his heel run in Florida as Dorys protege.  

2 hours ago, odessasteps said:

I think we discussed in this thread pages ago how highly some people rate his heel run in Florida as Dorys protege.  

I want to believe that one of the fake Von Erichs like Lance would've made a decent heel.

Since we're talking about Texas, add Steve Simpson to the list of babyfaces that would've been incapable of being a heel.  Not even hailing from South Africa when it was under Apartheid rule could get people to boo Steve Simpson.

I hated that guy.

When Percy Pringle / Paul Bearer managed Simpson and Chris Walker in Global, Percy was a face manager, wasn't he?